IGNORED

Finally, the Dr Typo Collection!

jgkspsx

• 1 month later...
AtariAge Day 2022
THIS SATURDAY, LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew

Saturday, May 21st 2022
12PM PT/3PM ET/7PM GMT

Join us for this year's AtariAge Day hosted by @ZeroPage Homebrew on Saturday, May 21st starting at 12PM PT to see the latest homebrew games for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, and Atari Jaguar, as well as live interviews with the developers who created all these great games. Make sure you don't miss this huge event and mark it on your calendars! All the newest games in the AtariAge Store will be unboxed and played during the interviews with developers!

1026557179_20220518-AtariAgeDay-Square-DrTypo.thumb.jpg.cc586a07d2c0bfda72bf03da93cdb9e3.jpg

Releases & Interviews

Atari 2600:
  • Doggone It (2600) by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder
  • Escape from the Castle (2600) by Eduardo Vilarinho
  • Game of the Bear (2600) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Hellway (2600) by Octavio Pinho Bokel @Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • LadyBug Arcade (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Mr. Yo-Yo (2600) by David Marli @DaveM
  • Pitkat (2600) by Marco Johannes (MarcoJ) and Dyfed Hitchings (Jamtex)
  • RobotWar 2684 (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Soul of the Beast (2600) by Michael Christophersson/ΛERIF°RM @flame
  • Unholy (2600) by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago
Atari 5200:
  • Intellidiscs (5200) by Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer
Atari 7800:
  • Danger Zone (7800) by Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster
  • Dragon's Descent (7800) by Todd Furmanski @Revontuli
  • Knight Guy in Low-Res World – Castle Days (7800) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Wizard's Dungeon (7800) by BydoEmpire @BydoEmpire
Atari Jaguar:
  • Dr. Typo Collection (Jaguar) by Dr. Typo @DrTypo
  • Gravitic Mines (Jaguar) by Lawrence Staveley @CyranoJ and and Ander Lex @agradeneu
  • Like 2

This is nothing against any of the developers or homebrew people working on the Jaguar, but personally I love everything by Dr. TYPO, and feel Tube SE is absolutely fantastic and imo the best homebrew for the Jaguar. This is a well deserved production of some fantastic games!

Question on this cart if not already answered, but does it save times on Tube SE? One of the things that was annoying for me was when I'd beat level 10 to unlock further levels then if you turn off the game then back on you lose the time you needed to beat and unlock the next level and have to replay to re-unlock again. 

Also is there any high score save on Gem Race at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UHATEIT said:

This is nothing against any of the developers or homebrew people working on the Jaguar, but personally I love everything by Dr. TYPO, and feel Tube SE is absolutely fantastic and imo the best homebrew for the Jaguar. This is a well deserved production of some fantastic games!

Question on this cart if not already answered, but does it save times on Tube SE? One of the things that was annoying for me was when I'd beat level 10 to unlock further levels then if you turn off the game then back on you lose the time you needed to beat and unlock the next level and have to replay to re-unlock again. 

Also is there any high score save on Gem Race at all?

Doesn't Tube SE give you codes after unlocking levels?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UHATEIT said:

Yep it does. I've written them all down. But would be interested if on the cart it saves your times and saves that levels are unlocked

No, none of the games in this collection support saving to an EEPROM, and the games were not modified to add that support.

..Al

• Like 2

I fear I must be the Harbinger of Sorrow again ...

Controller d-pad and start buttons do not work on title screen. Tried two controllers; they both are being read by the console because the buttons can be used to skip the Atari jingle and the tumbling letters on startup screen, but then nothing happens on title screen.

I did not try other Jag; since they're both K models, I doubt it would make a difference.

• Sad 1

Just now, Editorb said:

Controller d-pad and start buttons do not work on title screen. Tried two controllers; they both are being read by the console because the buttons can be used to skip the Atari jingle and the tumbling letters on startup screen, but then nothing happens on title screen.

I did not try other Jag; since they're both K models, I doubt it would make a difference.

Your game was tested on a Jaguar after the board was soldered and it was tested again after assembled into a cartridge before it was labeled. Testing included navigating through the menu and starting up at least one of the games on the cartridge. 

I would like to know the results of your testing on your second Jaguar. I have not had any reports of failure of ether Gravitic Mines or Dr. Typo Collection from anyone else since shipping all these games out en masse. 

..Al

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albert said:

Your game was tested on a Jaguar after the board was soldered and it was tested again after assembled into a cartridge before it was labeled. Testing included navigating through the menu and starting up at least one of the games on the cartridge. 

I would like to know the results of your testing on your second Jaguar. I have not had any reports of failure of ether Gravitic Mines or Dr. Typo Collection from anyone else since shipping all these games out en masse. 

..Al

I don't doubt everything has had the living, and perhaps dying, snot tested out of it. That's why, in addition to feeling like a perpetual party pooper, I feel like even more of a schmuck with my comments like "Is this game supposed to make my Jag burst into flames? Is that a bug or a feature?"

The symptom is similar to what I encountered with Brawn & Brains i.e. cart boots but menu unresponsive. B&B does work intermittently but I have been unable to correlate to any conditions such as which Jag, console warm or cold, etc.

I'll be trying again tonight. Switched to Gravitic Mines last night, then hosted old college friend. ("Old" and "friend" being redundant since all my friends are nearing their dotage.)

• Sad 1

Fired up last night. I didn't try the d-pad on title screen; pushed a button and was launched down the tube! After a few games of that, I power cycled console, and title screen was unresponsive. After coupla power cycles, I reseated cart and booted console a coupla times; title screen unresponsive.

Electronics shouldn't act like this, but kinda figures since it's sorcery.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Editorb said:

Fired up last night. I didn't try the d-pad on title screen; pushed a button and was launched down the tube! After a few games of that, I power cycled console, and title screen was unresponsive. After coupla power cycles, I reseated cart and booted console a coupla times; title screen unresponsive.

Electronics shouldn't act like this, but kinda figures since it's sorcery.

Is this the only game that does this?  Have you tried cleaning the cart connector? It's possible something got on there during shipping.

Try your other Jag for chrissake.

Edited by JagChris

On 5/27/2022 at 11:21 AM, Editorb said:

How are your Jags cartridge connectors?  Any bent pins?  Debris?

15 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Is this the only game that does this?  Have you tried cleaning the cart connector? It's possible something got on there during shipping.

Nothing got on the cartridge during shipping. The cartridge itself is in a plastic bag, the bagged cartridge is in a box, the box itself is in another plastic bag and then the bagged box is shrinkwrapped. 

Having said that, it would not hurt to use a Q-tip with some isopropyl alcohol to clean the cartridge edge connector that plugs into the Jaguar. If there is anything on the cart, it's certainly possible that Editorb's Jaguar is more susceptible to it. 

..Al

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Albert said:

Nothing got on the cartridge during shipping. The cartridge itself is in a plastic bag, the bagged cartridge is in a box, the box itself is in another plastic bag and then the bagged box is shrinkwrapped. 

Having said that, it would not hurt to use a Q-tip with some isopropyl alcohol to clean the cartridge edge connector that plugs into the Jaguar. If there is anything on the cart, it's certainly possible that Editorb's Jaguar is more susceptible to it. 

..Al

Yeah I realize it's a long shot but grasping at straws. It's rather frustrating to read because he won't try another jag because it's the same model which doesn't take into account that specific Jag itself may be having trouble after 30 years. 

• Like 1

Someone on the Atari Jaguar Fans page on Facebook just posted an issue getting their Dr. TYPO collection to select games. That was on a Model K. They switched to their Model M and everything works fine. He posted to alert anyone who had that issue

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, JagChris said:

Yeah I realize it's a long shot but grasping at straws. It's rather frustrating to read because he won't try another jag because it's the same model which doesn't take into account that specific Jag itself may be having trouble after 30 years. 

It’s not that I *won’t* try the other Jag. I have yet to invest the time in making the swap, which involves swapping all the dust plugs among other accoutrement. We’ll get ‘er.

• Like 1

There was a similar problem with the first version of Asteroite, that it didn't run properly on some K-series Jaguars.

Eventually it was discovered that it was a software bug that caused this problem.

This discovery by @Editorb was very helpful for @Songbird, and @phoboz, so they could fix this problem.

All customers  who had bought the first version of Asteroite were offered a new/updated cartridge which would not have this problem anymore.

• Like 2