IGNORED

Insight on Zippy The Porcupine

Cris1997XX

Good morning, guys. I've recently tried Zippy on emulator after all those years, and I'm still amazed the Atari 2600 can handle such a game (Even if the wow factor waned somewhat). I've been wondering...does it use DPC, DPC+ or only the console's raw power? I've always been curious, but going by the audio alone I assume it's stock hardware

• Like 1

21 hours ago, splendidnut said:

The ROM I have is 64kb and uses EF bankswitching, so not an ARM-based scheme.  So, yes, that's just the base console's raw power.

I'd not seen this format before so I had a look in the Stella source. I can see that a Superchip version of this format has also been coded. Are there any game/demo examples that use the additional RAM?

Also, I see from the comments that it was added for Paul Slocum's Homestar Runner but the version of Homestar Runner that I'm aware of uses the 32k Atari style format. Is there another version of Homestar Runner?

Tagging @Thomas Jentzsch and @stephena because they're credited in the source files.

Earlier versions of Penult used EF with superchip RAM (before I expanded to 128K). I can see if I have an old version squirreled away somewhere if you don't find a better option.

Also tagging @ZeroPage Homebrew as he had some issues with 64K ROMs on one of his systems once, and might know of other examples that use this format offhand.

Edit: Found one, and sent you a PM.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Karl G said:

Earlier versions of Penult used EF with superchip RAM (before I expanded to 128K). I can see if I have an old version squirreled away somewhere if you don't find a better option.

Also tagging @ZeroPage Homebrew as he had some issues with 64K ROMs on one of his systems once, and might know of other examples that use this format offhand.

Edit: Found one, and sent you a PM.

Here's the thread about the issues I have playing EF & EFSC games on my RGB modded system + Harmony Encore.

I still currently have to use the UnoCart to play these games.

- James

• Thanks 1