IGNORED

Wifi problems

TomelloSoulMan

Hi! I got my PlusCart DIY from the online store a few days ago. I assembled it yesterday, and I'm having problems with wifi setup. I'm using my laptop as an access point, and if i do a wifi scan the PlusCart only shows me some neighbour wifis, but not mine. Tried to create an open wifi, but the PlusCart can't see it either. Also tried to use my smartphone to create an AP, but got same results. What is even stranger is that if I start wifi manager portal on the PlusCart, I can see the "PlusCart(+)" open SSID but none of my devices can connect to it (tried my laptop and two different smartphones). STM firmware is 2.2.0 and ESP8266-01s firmware is 1.7.4.0. I swear soldering joints are all good (would ever be the wifi module be detected if not? would it see some neighbour SSIDs if not?). What are the chances I got a faulty ESP8266? Is there something I may be missing?

4 hours ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

Hi! I got my PlusCart DIY from the online store a few days ago. I assembled it yesterday, and I'm having problems with wifi setup.

can you sent some hi-res pictures of your device and the solder joints?

I'm using my laptop as an access point, and if i do a wifi scan the PlusCart only shows me some neighbour wifis, but not mine. Tried to create an open wifi, but the PlusCart can't see it either. Also tried to use my smartphone to create an AP, but got same results.

Do you always see the same SSIDs, or do they change? Do you have sometimes no SSIDs after a scan?

Can you check the connection quality when your access point(s) is further away from the PlusCart?

4 hours ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

Searching the web i found this: https://www.esp8266.com/viewtopic.php?p=74681

That's just what happens when i scan for wifi networks... Could that be related to my problem? Has anyone experienced this?

I don't think we have the same case here. I checked the resistor that was mention on the webpage you posted, but it has 12k as it should have.

Because of the wrong resistor the device had a short WiFi range and a (very) bad transfer rate. But if you can see your neighbors SSID(s) your device has obviously not a short WiFi range.

What is even stranger is that if I start wifi manager portal on the PlusCart, I can see the "PlusCart(+)" open SSID but none of my devices can connect to it (tried my laptop and two different smartphones). STM firmware is 2.2.0 and ESP8266-01s firmware is 1.7.4.0. I swear soldering joints are all good (would ever be the wifi module be detected if not? would it see some neighbour SSIDs if not?).

What are the chances I got a faulty ESP8266? Is there something I may be missing?

might be. Some batches of ESP8266 I have order had 10% defective devices. But not the current one, which had only one failed device out of 70 so far.

Most of the defect devices I can fish out before sending them on, because I flash all of them (also the ones for the DIY kits) with the current firmware (v1.7.4) and I do a WiFi scan to check the WiFi function. But this wouldn't have helped in your case, because the device has most probably passed these tests successfully.

5 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

can you sent some hi-res pictures of your device and the solder joints?

Tried it and my crappy smarphone doesn't focus so close. However, just tested with a multimeter and pins 1, 4, 5, 6 and 8 (resp. GND, RXD, TXD, CH_PD and VCC) in the front of the ESP8266 connect just ok with the respective pins in the breakboard.

Do you always see the same SSIDs, or do they change? Do you have sometimes no SSIDs after a scan?

Can you check the connection quality when your access point(s) is further away from the PlusCart?

From a set of like 5 APs, i sometimes see one, two or none at all. I can't connect to them since I don't know the passwords and are not willing to crack my neighbours wifis, hahaha. My laptop, which is the AP i want it to connect to, sits a bit to close maybe (like 30cm). When I did my tests with the wap54g, it was more or less at 3 meters.

Because of the wrong resistor the device had a short WiFi range and a (very) bad transfer rate. But if you can see your neighbors SSID(s) your device has obviously not a short WiFi range.

Yeah, i thought about that. Most of the APs it can see are far away, reporting weak signals in my laptop. It's strange how it can't just see my APs which are much closer.

Btw, i tested this in two different consoles: a 2600 jr with an AV mod and a unmodded clone with RF output. Same behavior on both. Also, it may be worth mentioning my power supply is rated 9v/1A if that's an issue.

I'm kinda lost here. I'm thinking about ordering another ESP8266 but i don't have the equipment required to flash the last firmware to it...

1 hour ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

From a set of like 5 APs, i sometimes see one, two or none at all. I can't connect to them since I don't know the passwords and are not willing to crack my neighbours wifis, hahaha. My laptop, which is the AP i want it to connect to, sits a bit to close maybe (like 30cm). When I did my tests with the wap54g, it was more or less at 3 meters.

Yeah, i thought about that. Most of the APs it can see are far away, reporting weak signals in my laptop. It's strange how it can't just see my APs which are much closer.

this is really strange.
?

Btw, i tested this in two different consoles: a 2600 jr with an AV mod and a unmodded clone with RF output. Same behavior on both. Also, it may be worth mentioning my power supply is rated 9v/1A if that's an issue.

both console with the same power supply? You might check the voltage when the console is powered on.

9V/1A should be sufficient, the power supply I am using here for my Jr is still the old original Atari with 9V/400mA.

I'm kinda lost here. I'm thinking about ordering another ESP8266 but i don't have the equipment required to flash the last firmware to it...

You might check "Setup" -> "WiFi Connection" -> "WiFi WPS Connect"

And maybe also the "Delete WiFi Connections" entry from the WiFi setup

With a FTDI USB 3.3V to TTL Serial adapter you might check the ESP8266 in circuit, see this thread:

14 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

You might check "Setup" -> "WiFi Connection" -> "WiFi WPS Connect"

And maybe also the "Delete WiFi Connections" entry from the WiFi setup

Don't have any WPS enabled device near this... :(

Already tried deleting WiFi connections, but same results.

I reflashed this just in case, but it shows the same problems. I managed to connect ONCE to WiFi Manager Portal, but the connection was extremely slow, full of response errors in the browser and didn't show any SSIDs in the scan. Tried to configure my WiFi manually, but no connection. At this point I see three options:

1. Ordering another WiFi module. ¿What is the stock firmware? ¿Would it work without the need to flash the newest version?

2. Try the damn resistor thing. As i have no SMD 12k resistors, i would try just shorting it as it was first suggested in the referenced thread. I don't mind short range because AP will be really close, i only want it to work. Probably will try this before option 1.

3. Try to manually convert this into a PlusCart(+) SD with some cable connections, reusing the existing breakboard. ¿Would it be reasonabily easy?

49 minutes ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

Don't have any WPS enabled device near this... :(

Already tried deleting WiFi connections, but same results.

After deleting the WiFi Connections you should power off the PlusCart for a few seconds, before your do a WiFi scan or try to connect to another WiFi.

But I think this wouldn't help in this case.

I reflashed this just in case, but it shows the same problems. I managed to connect ONCE to WiFi Manager Portal, but the connection was extremely slow, full of response errors in the browser and didn't show any SSIDs in the scan. Tried to configure my WiFi manually, but no connection. At this point I see three options:

1. Ordering another WiFi module.

replacing the WiFi module seems to be the best solution (if it is not the resistor, or the WiFi reset).

¿What is the stock firmware? ¿Would it work without the need to flash the newest version?

mostly it is a very old or no AT-Command firmware, it depends on the reseller where you order your parts. Testing and flashing the ESP8266 before using it is highly recommended (especially if you order your parts directly from China). You might order from a EU reseller, but then you have to pay the double or triple price per part.

I can send you a flashed and tested ESP8266 with the pins already removed, if you have a good(!) desoldering iron to remove the ESP8266 PCB from your PlusCart. Don't try to remove it with a solder pump or solder remover wire, it will not work and you will most probably only fry the rest of your PlusCart too.

if you don't have a good(!) desoldering iron, you should find someone that has one, or buy one.

2. Try the damn resistor thing. As i have no SMD 12k resistors, i would try just shorting it as it was first suggested in the referenced thread. I don't mind short range because AP will be really close, i only want it to work. Probably will try this before option 1.

you can measure the resistor on the two pins in the picture that are shorted.

I guess you can remove the SMD resistor, if it is not 12k and solder a 12k to the two pins.

3. Try to manually convert this into a PlusCart(+) SD with some cable connections, reusing the existing breakboard. ¿Would it be reasonabily easy?

without the WiFi this would be a UnoCart, but with PlusCart GPIO. You would need a special firmware which I don't usually build with new versions. You might use the PlusCart(+) SD firmware, but this one is with WiFi and the cart would wait 6 seconds at every boot for a WiFi connect that never happens.. 

21 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

After deleting the WiFi Connections you should power off the PlusCart for a few seconds, before your do a WiFi scan or try to connect to another WiFi.

But I think this wouldn't help in this case.

Ok, did this and didn't help indeed.

you can measure the resistor on the two pins in the picture that are shorted.

I guess you can remove the SMD resistor, if it is not 12k and solder a 12k to the two pins.

Ok, i measured and BOOM i'm getting ~0 ohm there... what???

I double and triple checked and always the same... I'm getting ~900 ohm in the resistor just left to this FYI

So... is this resistor defective? As of the result i'm getting it's already shorted, so removing it and shorting the pins won't help i guess.

But I have a newbie question here... as explained in the referenced thread, it was not working because the stock resistor has a value of 1.2k and should be 12k (higher), so... how would shorting it help, if this means lowering the value even more (to 0 ohm)? Did they mean only removing the resistor?

without the WiFi this would be a UnoCart, but with PlusCart GPIO. You would need a special firmware which I don't usually build with new versions. You might use the PlusCart(+) SD firmware, but this one is with WiFi and the cart would wait 6 seconds at every boot for a WiFi connect that never happens..

I don't mind waiting those 6 seconds...

I just saw this thread:

There are two pictures before the talk about how to make the breakboard starts. I can't see where to solder the cables from the SD card reader... Could you please tell me where do i need to solder this? And, is any card reader ok or should I use any specific one?

Ok, i measured and BOOM i'm getting ~0 ohm there... what???

I double and triple checked and always the same... I'm getting ~900 ohm in the resistor just left to this FYI

So... is this resistor defective? As of the result i'm getting it's already shorted, so removing it and shorting the pins won't help i guess.

I just checked this they are both pulled high (3.3v) when the ESP8266 is soldered into the breadboard. To check the 12k on these two PINs the ESP8266 has to be desoldered ?

But I have a newbie question here... as explained in the referenced thread, it was not working because the stock resistor has a value of 1.2k and should be 12k (higher), so... how would shorting it help, if this means lowering the value even more (to 0 ohm)? Did they mean only removing the resistor?

I have read the referenced thread multiple times now and I am not sure what he did and where he shorted any more.

I think replacing the ESP8266 is the best solution, it is not absolutely unusual for them to be defective. However, it is annoying that this defect can still pass my tests.

I don't mind waiting those 6 seconds...

I just saw this thread:

There are two pictures before the talk about how to make the breakboard starts. I can't see where to solder the cables from the SD card reader... Could you please tell me where do i need to solder this? And, is any card reader ok or should I use any specific one?

I am not sure too. I haven't build a complete PlusCart(+) SD so far. Only @Andrew Davie and @Fierodoug5 did.

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

2 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I just checked this they are both pulled high (3.3v) when the ESP8266 is soldered into the breadboard. To check the 12k on these two PINs the ESP8266 has to be desoldered ?

I have read the referenced thread multiple times now and I am not sure what he did and where he shorted any more.

I think replacing the ESP8266 is the best solution, it is not absolutely unusual for them to be defective. However, it is annoying that this defect can still pass my tests.

I am not sure too. I haven't build a complete PlusCart(+) SD so far. Only @Andrew Davie and @Fierodoug5 did.

I'm completely not following what's at issue here.  Is this a question to me about shorting ESP8266 pins?  That's not anything I know about!

My memory's not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure I just solder in the thing, and that's the end of it.

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

I'm completely not following what's at issue here.  Is this a question to me about shorting ESP8266 pins?  That's not anything I know about!

My memory's not what it used to be, but I'm pretty sure I just solder in the thing, and that's the end of it.

Hi Andrew and welcome to my thread lol

Nah, i'm having issues with the ESP8266 but that's not the question for you. I want to convert this into an PlusCart SD and I don't really know where to solder the SD card reader pins, and if any SD card reader might work or if i would need a specific one...

6 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

UPDATE: just soldered 4 wire bridges from RX, GND, VCC and TX to the breakboard. Same results. Then unsoldered the resistor and got same results. And then I bridged the resistor connectors and got same results again. So this thing is definitely defective i guess.

Thinking about the hassle that is unsoldering the ESP8266, since i don't have any good unsoldering iron, I just thought that I can chop this thing off, because i guess there's enough pin space above to just solder a new one. I mean cutting what is shown in the attached pic (sorry for the psychopathic writing). Would it work? If so, I'll be glad to order a new flashed and tested ESP8266 from you...

cut-here.png

11 hours ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

Hi Andrew and welcome to my thread lol

Nah, i'm having issues with the ESP8266 but that's not the question for you. I want to convert this into an PlusCart SD and I don't really know where to solder the SD card reader pins, and if any SD card reader might work or if i would need a specific one...

I just followed instructions from @Al_Nafuur! But one surefire tip is to look at the most recent circuitboard and trace the pin connections from that. As to the SD card reader, the only issue I'm aware of is that some of them need a 10K resistor added (I needed to do that on my Mechanical TV, which used a SD card for programme storage).  But I'm not aware of having to do it on the PlusCart.

Here's a screenshot of the relevant connections on the board that should help you out...

1669990826_ScreenShot2022-01-08at10_57_10am.thumb.png.300485f59a5601a31c915a08175ffe36.png

893892490_ScreenShot2022-01-08at4_32_22pm.thumb.png.41874527aea703758df19aaec0ff8580.png

Edited by Andrew Davie

16 hours ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

UPDATE: just soldered 4 wire bridges from RX, GND, VCC and TX to the breakboard. Same results. Then unsoldered the resistor and got same results. And then I bridged the resistor connectors and got same results again. So this thing is definitely defective i guess.

At least now ;-)

16 hours ago, TomelloSoulMan said:

Thinking about the hassle that is unsoldering the ESP8266, since i don't have any good unsoldering iron, I just thought that I can chop this thing off, because i guess there's enough pin space above to just solder a new one. I mean cutting what is shown in the attached pic (sorry for the psychopathic writing). Would it work? If so, I'll be glad to order a new flashed and tested ESP8266 from you...

cut-here.png

I recommend unsoldering, but cutting should work too (as long as the failure is not in the remaining part of the PCB)

After desoldering or cutting you should test the pins to have contact where the should have and none where they shouldn't (e.g. RX/TX shouldn't have contact to each other and 6M to GND or 3.3V)

I have to dispatch some PlusCarts on Monday. I will send the ESP8266 then too

21 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Here's a screenshot of the relevant connections on the board that should help you out...

Thanks a lot, Andrew! This definitely helps, even if I replace the wifi module, I'll be doing this mod too for sure.

9 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

I use hot air to remove a defective 8266. Takes only  a few seconds, and you can get a china hot air station for like $30 or less. I unfortunately have had quite a few faulty 8266 units myself.

Thanks for your answer! I think I'll be asking a friend for this if I decide to unsolder. You know, one of those friends that have absolutely every tool.

3 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

After desoldering or cutting you should test the pins to have contact where the should have and none where they shouldn't (e.g. RX/TX shouldn't have contact to each other and 6M to GND or 3.3V)

This lent me to the last effort of checking every soldering in the search for some short I could accidentaly did. I have two doubts, as I show in another crappy attached pic:

1. Are the two pins marked as A meant to be shorted (continuity between them). Tested it without the jumper, of course.

2. Are the pins marked as B meant to have ~150 ohm resistance between them? Just asking as it seems a strange value to me.

4 hours ago, Al_Nafuur said:

I have to dispatch some PlusCarts on Monday. I will send the ESP8266 then too

I would love it, but I don't want you to assume the costs. I'm willing to pay for the ESP8266 plus the shipping costs. This shit happens, and don't want you to lose money because of this.

shorts-perhaps.jpg

• 2 weeks later...