IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

4 minutes ago, Chri O. said:

Yes I do not only on black but sometimes on other colors also but it's really weird because most of the time you don't see them at all :?

I tried phase and pixel clock adjustments but it seems not to make a big different unless there is a magic mixture of the settings. Even if not, oh well. The tradeoff is that it is a big beautiful picture that looks great on almost everything (except those black backgrounds...and some others). I'll live with that no problem. Things could be a lot worse (reading some of the reported issues with other displays on that 15khz wiki!)

It seems to display those lines on certain solid backgrounds. Black, deep blue...

Still, again, not bad for a display that is doing something it was really not designed to do.

Edited by eightbit

Yep, my experience is the same with both of these monitors here. Unless it is the Centuriontech VGA adapter (I doubt it) it is just an effect of the monitor displaying at these modes. 

I can live with it. I am just glad PAL modes work fine and all of the resolutions. Now I can mess with certain games that will only run in high res monochrome mode as well. And, I can use the HDMI on these at the same time for something else.

Overall one hell of a buy at $180 in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Chri O. said:

I need to go down to my caveman basement and look for the monochrome VGA cable, will test this with Notator SL  (yes some MIDI action ?).

Do you need a special cable? I am using the same VGA cable for everything. Just power off, switch the switch to HIGH and turn the machine back on.

EDIT: Doh...you are using something other than the Centurion adapter...sorry :)

Edited by eightbit

17 minutes ago, eightbit said:

you are using something other than the Centurion adapter...

Yeah just a simple Atari st to VGA cable from eBay.  I got two, one for monochrome and one for the color.

About the monitor I am impressed whooping 27" LCD monitor brand spanking new and sinking down all the way to 15 Khz mode ?.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Chri O. said:

About the monitor I am impressed whooping 27" LCD monitor brand spanking new and sinking down all the way to 15 Khz mode ?.

Me too. What a happy accident. I purchased this monitor for my wife because it was just a good deal for a 27 inch new Dell display. She loves it. I really didn't expect much of anything to happen when testing it. It was the last monitor in the house I didn't test and I figured while I was at it what the heck. I expected to be without a display for some time and hunting around for old used displays. I am so glad I didn't have to do that!

All said, been enjoying the ST even more since. It's nice to be able to see things. I like the game "Wings of Death" and I am now noticing details on the enemies that I never noticed before!

Still, getting back to the FreeSync thing, I would really like to hear anyone who had an AMD FreeSync capable display chime in if it works. It would be interesting to see if it is just a one off fluke with this particular monitor model working or if this is a thing that allows more monitors to work. That would be great.

Imagine us vintage computer owners actually being able to obtain modern displays for all of our old 15kHz systems without issue...and having a selection to choose from! 

I can confirm the monitor works great tho!  Picked one up tonight and just stuck it on the ST - works great in all resolutions.  I still have problems with dithered patterns like grey backgrounds in mono mode which look perfect on a real mono monitor, but these are the same I've seen all my life using ST mono with VGA monitors.

I'll try the Amiga in a bit and see how it works!

PXL_20220108_071454140.jpg

PXL_20220108_071942291.jpg

PXL_20220108_071538748.jpg

Edited by tuf
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Very curious to see what your results may be. I would guess it would work. I appreciate you testing this!

Results are as expected - works as well as the ST modes!  Here's some snaps of a PAL screen on an NTSC A500 using a simple DB23 to VGA adapter.

PXL_20220108_072900783.jpg

PXL_20220108_072850185.jpg

PXL_20220108_072908814.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also wanted to add that I've got an Acer 27" Freesync monitor that goes down to 15khz and I bought specifically for just this sort of thing.  Results are very blurry and basically not something you'd want to use.

And @eightbit thanks for the discovery!  It's a great new option for anyone looking for something like this. 

• Like 1

That is fantastic. I totally suspected it would be the case that it would work with the Amiga, but suspecting and actual visual proof are two different things entirely :)

I really appreciate you checking. I really hope that I helped at least a few people with a workable option that is pretty easily accessible (if you have a Microcenter near you....or maybe you can web order too? I didn't check that) 

It is certainly much cheaper than a lot of other options. Options I mean to get a GOOD picture. Some time back I was running the Atari ST RGB to VGA and into an OSSC and then out to an HDMI display. Did it look great? Certainly. Did it cost double what this monitor does? Absolutely...maybe a bit more than double.

This monitor is a keeper. Maybe I'll grab another if I see them go on sale :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tuf said:

One note for Amiga users:  The interlace modes flicker, as expected.  There's no additional magic in here to prevent that :)

That is a very nostalgic flicker. I sometimes yearn for it.

When I eventually acquire an Amiga again I will have the ST and Amiga side by side using the same display. I have a nice VGA switchbox in storage to use for that setup. I always wanted to consolidate to one display for both machines and this is a really easy way to do that (and save space!)

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, tuf said:

Also wanted to add that I've got an Acer 27" Freesync monitor that goes down to 15khz and I bought specifically for just this sort of thing.  Results are very blurry and basically not something you'd want to use.

Even though the results on the Acer suck according to what you are saying (I have had a few Acers....many were crap) at least we know that another monitor that had FreeSync incorporated into it actually can sync to 15kHz.

I know next to nothing about FreeSync other than it sounds like MultiSync and AccuSync to me :)  So, is FreeSync the reason? Well we now have two reported monitors with it syncing to the frequency (Dell and Acer). So, who knows how many others. Definitely need more input and test results from people with other brand or model FreeSync monitors to chime in and tell us they had success as well.

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

No, no lost pixels at all. The only issue that I can see is line interference on what should be black backgrounds. When the background is colorful (like in a game) it is extremely hard to detect. But if the background is black, yeah, its like phase lines or something.

But, I can totally live with that. I bumped the sharpness to 100% (after I took the pictures in this thread) and the crispness is superb. No lost pixels and the picture is fantastic other that the aforementioned line noise on blacks.

It does feel weird playing it on such a bug display however. I am so used to the original 12 inch monitor. I can really SEE stuff now ;)

EDIT: Just snapped a really up close of the screen with sharpness at 100%. Medum res color of course.

IMG_20220107_224839.jpg

Nice, thanks.

I ordered a 24 inch model since I don't have room for the 27 inch on my retro desk.

It should be the same hopefully, just instead of model SE2722H it is SE2422H.  I'll post after it arrives and report back on how it functions.

• Like 1

Glad to see that Atari people at oversea found new monitor(s), which are very good for old NTSC/PAL computers with RGB output. And even for ST high-res.

Considering price: for same money (200 bucks) here can buy 24 inch Philips TV - 2 HDMI, 1 VGA, 1 Scart inputs.  Little smaller screen, but it is TV, media player (hevc 265 codec support), and even can record  TV program. There are even some cheaper ones with Scart, not some known brands.

Interference is normal with dotmatrix LCD (or with OLED too), and is most visible when there is pattern with alternating values of neighbor pixels - like gray in monochrome mode. 

That's why I bought my first flat LCD monitor in 2006 with DVI - needed some time to find, and little more money than VGA only ones.

This reminds me - there was some project of real digital video output from modded Atari ST(E) machines - any experiences with it ?

8 hours ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Nice, thanks.

I ordered a 24 inch model since I don't have room for the 27 inch on my retro desk.

It should be the same hopefully, just instead of model SE2722H it is SE2422H.  I'll post after it arrives and report back on how it functions.

Looking forward to hearing your results.  Personally I'd prefer a smaller version as well.

3 hours ago, tuf said:

I'm not familiar with Falcon output - is it VGA like the TT?  If so I could test that.

Yes, no and not really.

The Falcon does have a VGA adapter which probably most people use (but it can also hook up to something like an SC1224 or even TV).  The main thing I'm looking for is how well it can be pushed.  The Falcon "standard" resolutions are one thing, but there are also software programs that can let you push the envelope on that (and even beyond that, hardware upgrades).

I've successfully pushed a stock Falcon rez/colors a bit using some software on my stock Falcon and Dell U2410 and I'm curious to see what can be done with this monitor.