IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

On 1/16/2022 at 8:01 PM, calimero said:

Hi,

what is the exact model of that NEC CRT monitor?

Thanks!

It's not a 15k compatible monitor - I'm using an Indivision Mk2 in the A500.  If you're still interested I'll look at the front of it for you when I get home.  It does work well with the Amiga 15k (non-interlaced) modes using the Amiga's RGB to OSSC/Retrotink too.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, eightbit said:

I sent him a message and asked. Those lines are precisely what I get on the ST so I bet whatever fix he has in place with this adapter would solve the problem for this.

Curious if you heard back.  Buffered adapters aren't that common for STs, I don't think..

4 hours ago, tuf said:

It's not a 15k compatible monitor - I'm using an Indivision Mk2 in the A500.  If you're still interested I'll look at the front of it for you when I get home.  It does work well with the Amiga 15k (non-interlaced) modes using the Amiga's RGB to OSSC/Retrotink too.

No. If it was 15Khz monitor, then I would be interested. 

5 hours ago, Ripdubski said:

anyone else get one and have the same positive experience?

I bought one, but haven't had a chance to play with it yet.  Got a few things going on Saturday morning, so once that's out of the way, I'll be setting it up and giving it a try.

Now the one I got off Amazon is the SE2722HX, but everything I've read says the X just means the VGA cable is included in the box (and I at least confirmed it does have the VGA cable).  So.... we shall see.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:24 PM, Ripdubski said:

I received the Dell SE2422H today.  It doesn't work in color, only in mono, and the image is shifted and stretched up off the right top corner.

Boo...  FWIW, the monitor also does not have a height adjustment.  Just throwing that out there.  The image in mono isn't as good as with my older 4:3 Dell 2001FP.

Yeah, got my SE2422H also and can confirm.  Not working in color and mono is shifted.  The aspect ration can be changed to 4:3 and that centers the mono image, but the desktop letters are unreadable on mine so I'll use this one for BeePi and Hades.  Gonna try the SE2722H next.

Medium res. Desktop on Philips 24 inch TV, connected to Scart RGB . AR is set to 4:3 .

Phil24MedRes.thumb.jpg.c33e0d1c96e9452b52b3d2cddbe5188f.jpg

Of course not perfect, but better than on CRT monitor/TV . 

Here to add that size of display is not really relevant. Resolution is more relevant, and all this lower price monitors, TVs have full HD res (1920x1080 px) .

Since analog signal is not synced with pixels on LCD display there will be some smaller errors in any case.

2 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Medium res. Desktop on Philips 24 inch TV, connected to Scart RGB . AR is set to 4:3 .

Of course not perfect, but better than on CRT monitor/TV . 

Here to add that size of display is not really relevant. Resolution is more relevant, and all this lower price monitors, TVs have full HD res (1920x1080 px) .

Since analog signal is not synced with pixels on LCD display there will be some smaller errors in any case.

If only we had RGB/SCART in the states :)

• Like 2

I made Atari ST(E) to VGA cable - using R,G,B lines directly, H and V sync lines too. On same 24 inch Philips TV:

PhilVGAdirect.thumb.jpg.d57693b6279f6c000b5a90a9d073c39b.jpg

Not good, some vertical lines are not visible, or pale.   And contrast is too high, what is better visible when start some game, for instance.

Yes, it is known that is good to add serial resistors in such case. Which are added to Scart cable too (3x100 Ohm).  So, I added 3x 100 Ohm resistors in serial to R,G,B lines.

PhilVGAviaRes.thumb.jpg.80c18d29b276e0c93749cf6ddcd86826.jpg

Indeed much better.

So, overdrive may causing not only too high contrast, but errors in A/D conversion too. This reminds me that I added 18 Ohm serial resistor to monochrome cable to VGA too, and it helped, so recommended. Only 18 Ohms because ST monochrome signal goes parallel to R & G & B inputs of monitor.

And that's the only flaw of this Philips monitor - monochrome works not with (supports not >60 Hz ) . But on usual LCD computer monitors works for sure.

On 1/8/2022 at 9:56 PM, eightbit said:

I sent him a message and asked. Those lines are precisely what I get on the ST so I bet whatever fix he has in place with this adapter would solve the problem for this.

Did you ever hear back from him?

Also, received the SE2722H today and it works perfectly with my STE in all modes.  I set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and adjusted the horizontal position to center it, set the sharpness all the way up and changed the color mode to "movie" and it looks great.

Ordering another to use with the Falcon.

4 minutes ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

Did you ever hear back from him?

Also, received the SE2722H today and it works perfectly with my STE in all modes.  I set the aspect ratio to 4:3 and adjusted the horizontal position to center it, set the sharpness all the way up and changed the color mode to "movie" and it looks great.

Ordering another to use with the Falcon.

Nope, never received a response from him.

Glad the monitor worked out for you though!

1 hour ago, TheNameOfTheGame said:

I am running monochrome in 16:9,  I didn't play with the color setiings.

20220131_191639.thumb.jpg.201eddd963569c382e88e7be4b7e7cc1.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 9:57 PM, Chri O. said:

Atari Falcon 030 HMMM Demo & RGB Dell SE2722H TEST.......... ?

Can you test Dell with e.g. Joint Venture or Lost Blub? This demos will output some stranger resolutions... so it is a good test to see how monitor handle non standard resolutions that quite some Falcon specific software use :) 

please read description of video.

16 hours ago, Chri O. said:

@ParanoidLittleMan

Well you got me thinking with those resistors and I look up the schematics (in my case Atari ST/e) there is few resistors on motherboard for red green and blue, looks like we could just replace them with higher value 120ohms :?

Resistors on RGB lines have different values at different models - Mega ST: 27 Ohms, Mega STE: 75 Ohms ...

And it is easier to place extra resistors in Scart or VGA connector. 1/8 Watt ones take very little place.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 12:58 AM, ParanoidLittleMan said:

Nice. So, AMD free sync technology is multi sync.   In some way better buy than those not cheap converters to HDMI, VGA .. Little more money, but you have monitor too.

Ha, so I have this giant (77" is considered giant, isn't it?) TV that supports FreeSync and G-Sync.  I should test out the ST on it, but then again I have to use some sort of adapter anyhow, as analog was not included with this model at all!  Apparently LG's last model from 2020 did have a little 3.5mm jack where you could get an adapter for it.  My C1 apparently only has a 'debug' port that is 3.5mm... so is a full HDMI TV.  Kind of makes me sad...

On the flip side, it does work with the Vampire 4 Stand Alone... so I can run EmuTOS on it :)