IGNORED

A new 27 inch monitor that is available and works 100%!

14 hours ago, leech said:

Haha, I should at some point down the road figure out what monitors I must keep and those which need to go... I stocked up on a bunch with the eventual hope to have space for setting up a bunch of different machines.  One of these days...

It's funny how we tend to collect things in the "hope of" or "for the eventual possibility" or to "future proof".

Sometimes, I drag out boxes of stuff I've got stored away and marvel about what I've forgotten I had. In the

case of this Dell monitor, I knew I had already purchased one of those Ube switches for the "when" I knew

would come and I would need it.

What I don't remember is why...when I opened the box I had marked it as being stored in, I found this:

P1010004.JPG.348942027f715f1fada9281568ffca17.JPG

The only thing I can figure out is, I bought one every time there was an upgrade?  :)

PS and this is not counting the MkVI that I already have on my Mega STe

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DarkLord said:

It's funny how we tend to collect things in the "hope of" or "for the eventual possibility" or to "future proof".

Sometimes, I drag out boxes of stuff I've got stored away and marvel about what I've forgotten I had. In the

case of this Dell monitor, I knew I had already purchased one of those Ube switches for the "when" I knew

What I don't remember is why...when I opened the box I had marked it as being stored in, I found this:

The only thing I can figure out is, I bought one every time there was an upgrade?  :)

Now I have to look up this ubeswitch.  Don't know what it is, but I am pretty sure I need at least one :)

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Now I have to look up this ubeswitch.  Don't know what it is, but I am pretty sure I need at least one :)

Ha, it is just a ST to VGA adapter, that unfortunately also doesn't contain a scan doubler, but does include the ability to switch between Low/Med and High resolutions.  So you still need one of the monitors that can handle 15khz, hence the post that this monitor does.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DarkLord said:

So I'm pretty happy with this Dell 27" monitor, with only 2 complaints.

First, I wish it had been available in Atari grey.  :)

Second, I realized that the monitor on my Win10 box, sitting just a few

feet away, is actually smaller.  So...because I play Guild Wars 2, Divinity 2

Original Sin and Baldurs' Gate 3 on it, I guess I'll have to upgrade it as

well.

Work, work, work, work, work, work...work.   :)  :)  :)

Nothing a little paint can't solve.

19 hours ago, leech said:

Haha, I should at some point down the road figure out what monitors I must keep and those which need to go... I stocked up on a bunch with the eventual hope to have space for setting up a bunch of different machines.  One of these days...

Did that myself a few months ago.  Had been buying tons of monitors from Goodwill and other thrift stores in hopes of finding some 15khz ones and just in general having some for that eventual day when I'd had the room to set up all the systems I wanted to play with.

I got so tired of the clutter most of them went back to Goodwill.

9 hours ago, leech said:

The cable one looks like it would be quite nice, does it also have the hi-res switch on it?  I think I have a second one that has a switch instead of button somewhere...

Nah, it doesn't have any switch. Point of fact, since the Ube switch worked, I didn't even try that cable...

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

You do - if you're gonna be trying to hook up any modern monitor to your ST. Leech gave a detailed explanation

below so I won't go into any long-winded specifics but you still have to have an ST compatible monitor.

Exxos's store sells a cheaper version:

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/

• Thanks 1

Okay, so I've had a few days to play around with the 27" Dell monitor.

It's nice. It's got a great picture, works well with the ST line and has a fair

price. It's really good having a modern display that's compatible with our

beloved machines.

I also have to admit, that playing some of my favorite games, like Ultima

III, IV, and V, as well as Stardust is just phenomenal on that big screen.

But (there's always a but, isn't there?)...

This is of course, all in "IMHO" territory, but I still think that the SC1224's

picture is clearer and sharper.

So while I really like the Dell 27" monitor, the JVC brand SC1224 remains

the king of ST displays.  For what my opinion is worth...    :)

Just a quick question about the Ube switch...

Is it normal behavior to have to reset the resolution

every time you power on/off?

When I power my Mega STe off and start it back up, it always

defaults to hi-res and I have to manually set it back to med-res.

Is there a way to save med-res so that I don't have to do that?

Thanks.

I read it at Ataricrypt site: "It's amazing how fantastic this thing works: plug it in and power on your Atari ST (mine defaulted to high resolution but that can be changed by holding the top button for a couple of seconds)" .

Btw.  I really don't see need for all electronic for some simple task like this:  switching can be solved with mechanical switch (need multiple type), some resistors, and guess what ? It remembers where was set last time 🙂 

1 hour ago, DarkLord said:

Since it's a "slide" type switch, does it hold the last resolution selected when you

power off?

Thanks.

I suppose I should track down a newer one with a switch, and see if I can design a case for it.  Still not sure where I ordered mine from, but it was one of the earlier ones.  I also have one of Best's cables that has a massive switch on it, but it also is a really long / thick cable, but doesn't have as clear of a picture.

Edit: Looks like someone already has?  https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=atari+st+vga&page=1&type=things&sort=relevant

Edited by leech

On 8/13/2022 at 2:18 PM, DarkLord said:

Looking at this picture again....

Do you even  have enough ST's for all these adapters??????   Asking for a friend.

(I should say, functional ST's?)

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Looking at this picture again....

Do you even  have enough ST's for all these adapters??????   Asking for a friend.

(I should say, functional ST's?)

Ah yes, the "functional" part is the key, right?

Seriously, does this "friend" need one?   :)

3 hours ago, DarkLord said:

Cool, just need to download those files and beg a friend who owes me lots of favors to print it out on

their 3D printer...    :)

Ha, I would, but then packing and sending off bits of plastic that I haven't tested the fit on... and since there seems to be a lot of variants of thos device out there... 

I need to fire up the printer and CAD here soon anyhow, need to create some mounts for hard drive to CF card that connects underneath (thanks to the various ways of mounting hard drives, I have some old systems that use the underside screw holes...)

Totally understood. Just in that picture of the Ube switches that I posted, there's

something like 4 different variations. On top of that, I ordered the Centurion UK

version because it uses a sliding switch and will maintain it's resolution.

So yeah, it would probably take multiple versions of a 3D case to cover them all.

Speaking of mass storage devices (and this is way OT, so apologies) what did you

wind up doing with the internal US in your Mega STe for access? I'm still just raising

the hard drive bay to switch out SD cards but I'd like to figure out a better way. I

was going to use extenders, running them to the back of the case but I tried 4 or

5 different brands/versions and none of them will stay seated in the US - the "spring"

action pushes them back out and losing contact.

Fun fact, those same extenders work fine with the Jookie US I have in my STacy. It

doesn't do the "spring" action...

Thanks.