IGNORED

This piece of rubber seems to have come out of my controller. What is it?

Steven Pendleton

I opened my controller to clean it and this piece of rubber

Pic_0108_883.thumb.jpg.a665f3678decd76cbeaab0e4d07c995f.jpg

fell into my hand. What is this thing? It's kind of small

Pic_0108_882.thumb.jpg.ac89f9f3f5c93f3c33be67d00d4f8339.jpg

and I have no idea what it is or where it came from. I'm assuming that it's from inside my controller, but I have no idea where it's supposed to go and it seems to work fine without it. I have checked a bunch of PS3 controller assembly tutorials online and have not seen this piece of rubber anywhere. This controller seems to be a later model, judging by the size of the PCB inside, while all of the tutorials I have seen use what I'm guessing is an earlier model with a much larger PCB. Here's my PCB:

Pic_0108_885.thumb.jpg.568e5deab1a81590b524592659ded65b.jpg

On 1/7/2022 at 8:12 AM, Steven Pendleton said:

I opened my controller to clean it and this piece of rubber

Pic_0108_883.thumb.jpg.a665f3678decd76cbeaab0e4d07c995f.jpg

fell into my hand. What is this thing? It's kind of small

Pic_0108_882.thumb.jpg.ac89f9f3f5c93f3c33be67d00d4f8339.jpg

and I have no idea what it is or where it came from. I'm assuming that it's from inside my controller, but I have no idea where it's supposed to go and it seems to work fine without it. I have checked a bunch of PS3 controller assembly tutorials online and have not seen this piece of rubber anywhere. This controller seems to be a later model, judging by the size of the PCB inside, while all of the tutorials I have seen use what I'm guessing is an earlier model with a much larger PCB. Here's my PCB:

Pic_0108_885.thumb.jpg.568e5deab1a81590b524592659ded65b.jpg

TBH I'm just impressed you got the controller apart and (I assume) back together again!  Great controller but not like any others, where you can just open it up with no drama...I tried that and the thing sprang apart like a mousetrap had gone off!  I had stripped screws though so I never could get the damned thing back together...I need to change out the batteries in some of mine (Even have the batteries just sitting there....Mocking me haha)...And since SONY decided not to make it easy in any way shape or form,  (Seriously SONY, a little panel on the  bottom and some screws....Is that so hard?),  Well, I'm rather dreading it...

17 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

TBH I'm just impressed you got the controller apart and (I assume) back together again!  Great controller but not like any others, where you can just open it up with no drama...I tried that and the thing sprang apart like a mousetrap had gone off!  I had stripped screws though so I never could get the damned thing back together...I need to change out the batteries in some of mine (Even have the batteries just sitting there....Mocking me haha)...And since SONY decided not to make it easy in any way shape or form,  (Seriously SONY, a little panel on the  bottom and some screws....Is that so hard?),  Well, I'm rather dreading it...

It's actually way easier than the PS4 controller. That thing has the worst controller disassembly I have seen. Even the PS4 controller is still way better than trying to take the MSX apart, though...

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...