IGNORED

Vyrzon - a new single screen danmaku shmup for the Vectrex

jgkspsx

minsoft announced a really polished single screen bullet hell-ish shmup that looks pretty close to done!

The Space Invaders influence is strong, particularly in the sound effects, but the gameplay is quite original.

The graphics are fantastic, the sound is good, but the gameplay looks especially rewarding. Looking forward to a physical release of this!

• Like 29

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

They plan to sell it physically one way or another by mid-year, I think.

This is good to hear. It’ ll be a day one purchase for me, once physical copies are made available. The entire game looks well-polished; dare I say, better looking than some of the official titles that saw a release on the Vetrex.

• Like 3

I am the developer of this game - thanks for the interest!

Just to confirm, there will be a cartridge release. The game itself is not yet finished, but is in beta...most of the programming is done, but I plan to spend quite a bit of time improving some of levels. If I have any space left there may some other additions.

I am hoping the physical release will happen this year, but there is a lot to be done such as artwork, manual, deciding on a screen printing company to print the overlays, etc. The best place to keep informed is my Twitter feed, I will continue to post updates there: https://twitter.com/minsoftgames

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, minwah said:

I'd never seen or heard of that one before. Clearly heavily influenced by Astro Blaster!

I just caught up on your twitter feed. I saw the video where a direct hit to the boss scores extra points and makes a bigger explosion. Does it also do extra damage? It seems like it should.

The game looks fantastic BTW.

• Like 2

Would be nice, if there would also be a budget version. Like just the PCB. I love the Vectrex but I'm not a collector and I don't really need a box, manual and overlay. Maybe I'm the only one, but I have two pretty nice overlays that work well with the collection of games I have (one for horizontal, one for circular games)

• Like 3

On 2/4/2022 at 5:14 PM, Pat Brady said:

I just caught up on your twitter feed. I saw the video where a direct hit to the boss scores extra points and makes a bigger explosion. Does it also do extra damage? It seems like it should.

The game looks fantastic BTW.

Thanks!

Do you mean the 'bullseye' shot that earns double points? If so, it does not do more damage. I toyed with the idea, but there is a powerup which does double damage, so I think extra damage for bullseye as well would be excessive (make it too easy...at least on levels where enemies are easy to 'bullseye').

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 8:37 PM, Dieter Laser said:

Would be nice, if there would also be a budget version. Like just the PCB. I love the Vectrex but I'm not a collector and I don't really need a box, manual and overlay. Maybe I'm the only one, but I have two pretty nice overlays that work well with the collection of games I have (one for horizontal, one for circular games)

I can't promise anything but I would consider doing this. If so it would be at some point after the 'full on' version.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, minwah said:

Do you mean the 'bullseye' shot that earns double points? If so, it does not do more damage. I toyed with the idea, but there is a powerup which does double damage, so I think extra damage for bullseye as well would be excessive (make it too easy...at least on levels where enemies are easy to 'bullseye').

Right, I meant bullseye. If you want to toy with it some more, you could make it so that the two forms of extra damage (power-up and bullseye) do not stack, or cap the damage. Or, of course, you could just leave it as it is. :)

Anyway, thanks for the response, I don't mean to be pushy, and I am really looking forward to playing this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pat Brady said:

Right, I meant bullseye. If you want to toy with it some more, you could make it so that the two forms of extra damage (power-up and bullseye) do not stack, or cap the damage. Or, of course, you could just leave it as it is. :)

Anyway, thanks for the response, I don't mean to be pushy, and I am really looking forward to playing this.

I will have a think about it, but at the moment I am leaning towards leaving as is. I feel it would essentially reduce the impact of the power-up.

I am open to suggestions so thanks for your input, but I'm also trying not to take on too much more as my todo list keeps growing, and I really want to wrap it up soon...

• Like 4

On 2/7/2022 at 9:51 AM, minwah said:

I am open to suggestions so thanks for your input, but I'm also trying not to take on too much more as my todo list keeps growing, and I really want to wrap it up soon...

Thanks for making this game, I cannot wait for it to be available!  Wondering what the overlay will look like (the green in the video makes me think Battlezone too much, hahaha).

As for suggestions (I know, easy to say, hard to implement) -

On the overlay I hope that you label the shields readout at the upper right as "shields" or something obvious, I totally overlooked it the first time I watched the video.

On Level 3, charging the shields by skimming the asteroids, how about you lose points for shooting any of the asteroids while charging the shields?  Like it's a penalty to take the "easy" way out but obviously losing 10 points or so is better than dying.  And a bonus for getting through there without shooting a single asteroid.

How about if the boss flying across the top occasionally drops down a shield (Space Invaders style) to block your shots?  Maybe it slowly moves sideways back and forth.  Easy setting you can get rid of it (10 shots?) but hard setting it's permanent until the level is finished?

Anyways, great looking game, the animations are great!  The sounds are cool, too, makes it seem like an arcade port.

• Like 4