IGNORED

Vyrzon - a new single screen danmaku shmup for the Vectrex

jgkspsx

6 hours ago, ledzep said:

Thanks for making this game, I cannot wait for it to be available!  Wondering what the overlay will look like (the green in the video makes me think Battlezone too much, hahaha).

As for suggestions (I know, easy to say, hard to implement) -

On the overlay I hope that you label the shields readout at the upper right as "shields" or something obvious, I totally overlooked it the first time I watched the video.

On Level 3, charging the shields by skimming the asteroids, how about you lose points for shooting any of the asteroids while charging the shields?  Like it's a penalty to take the "easy" way out but obviously losing 10 points or so is better than dying.  And a bonus for getting through there without shooting a single asteroid.

How about if the boss flying across the top occasionally drops down a shield (Space Invaders style) to block your shots?  Maybe it slowly moves sideways back and forth.  Easy setting you can get rid of it (10 shots?) but hard setting it's permanent until the level is finished?

Anyways, great looking game, the animations are great!  The sounds are cool, too, makes it seem like an arcade port.

Thanks for your comments! With regard to your suggestions:

1. The overlay will have indicators of some kind for powerup & shield energy...and will probably be largely green.

2. That's not a bad idea...however I quite like how it is currently as you can choose blast everything, skim as much as possible...or skim as much as possible *and* shoot as much as possible. The latter is hardest to do but can yield the biggest bonus.

3. I did actually consider something a bit like that a long time ago. The trouble now is that I don't have much space left (under 40 bytes at this moment, didn't realise it was quite that low)...not enough for something of this nature, or much at all really!

• Like 4

On 2/9/2022 at 9:33 AM, minwah said:

2. That's not a bad idea...however I quite like how it is currently as you can choose blast everything, skim as much as possible...or skim as much as possible *and* shoot as much as possible. The latter is hardest to do but can yield the biggest bonus.

I was thinking of it only for a 'hard' setting but I can understand not having enough room to code more stuff.  Game looks great already!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ledzep said:

I was thinking of it only for a 'hard' setting but I can understand not having enough room to code more stuff.  Game looks great already!

I know you're not ready yet, but can you maybe start a list of people interested if for anything to see if your numbers justify a physical release?

This is chinese for "put me on the list, .... like right away, please". Genuinely, sterling job. We need devs like you with your talents. Keep at it.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2022 at 10:01 AM, LIME LYSTA said:

I know you're not ready yet, but can you maybe start a list of people interested if for anything to see if your numbers justify a physical release?

This is chinese for "put me on the list, .... like right away, please". Genuinely, sterling job. We need devs like you with your talents. Keep at it.

Thanks, I appreciate your interest!

I've already committed to doing a physical release...once it's available you will be able to buy it.

I will post here when it is ready, which is some way off yet (although the game itself is night on finished). For updates please see my twitter feed: https://twitter.com/minsoftgames

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 5:16 AM, LIME LYSTA said:

You have mine set aside, right?

Right?

Joking aside I am not keeping a list. When I have the finished product in front of me (& have the logistics worked out) it will be available to buy. If there is enough demand I will make further batch(es) and do my best to ensure everyone that wants a copy can get one...I think that's the fairest way to do it.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Late to the party on this one, but at least not missed it.

Wow. This looks excellent, really looking forward to giving you some cash for it.

Thank you for also being of the mind to making extra batches and considering pcb only and digital releases. It will be good not having to notice it's available at the exact hour or miss out forever (or spend £££s on eBay) as this has classic written all over it.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...