IGNORED

Glitch re Super NT + FxPak Pro + Super Gameboy 2 + Alleyway

I am using a Super NT with FxPak Pro and the Super Gameboy 2 firmware.  I tried running Alleyway, and that game consistently perceives an initial "start" button press on the title screen and then refuses to recognize any D-pad input.  Will perform a soft reset by pressing "start" and "select" together, but will not recognize D-pad input, even after the soft reset.  I have no idea what is going on.  Same thing happens on different versions of the Alleyway GB file.  This problem does not occur on any other GB game that I have yet tried with this setup.

I would appreciate any insight.  Thank you.

I'd help you but it seemed insane to waste money on a FXPak Pro when I already had the SD2SNES.  I don't recall if that actually does handheld SuperGameboy too, or at least in the way I think you're doing it.  Don't you like append the GB game to the SGB rom itself, or does the kit let you select one, then the next?  I never looked into it having an everdrive GB already and a SuperGB, seemed counter-intuitive.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'd help you but it seemed insane to waste money on a FXPak Pro when I already had the SD2SNES.  I don't recall if that actually does handheld SuperGameboy too, or at least in the way I think you're doing it.  Don't you like append the GB game to the SGB rom itself, or does the kit let you select one, then the next?  I never looked into it having an everdrive GB already and a SuperGB, seemed counter-intuitive.

https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/1157

Beta firmware with SGB support for both SD2SNES and FxPakPro .... I also have an SD2SNES and I did try some GB games via the new FW and they "worked" for my short demo session, did not try this specific one. There's some evidence this new FW may break some other SNES games hence why it's still in beta ... for my extremely scarce usage it was fine.
Note that given the 2 carts are not the same (they don't even use the same FPGA manufacturer) testing on an SD2SNES would prove little wrt FxPakPro (well if it doesn't work there with Alleyway could help point to a bug in the SGB support for that game).

8 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

https://sd2snes.de/blog/archives/1157

Beta firmware with SGB support for both SD2SNES and FxPakPro .... I also have an SD2SNES and I did try some GB games via the new FW and they "worked" for my short demo session, did not try this specific one. There's some evidence this new FW may break some other SNES games hence why it's still in beta ... for my extremely scarce usage it was fine.
Note that given the 2 carts are not the same (they don't even use the same FPGA manufacturer) testing on an SD2SNES would prove little wrt FxPakPro (well if it doesn't work there with Alleyway could help point to a bug in the SGB support for that game).

Hmmm I may have that or what created it.  I looked into the copy on my computer of what's on that SD card in there, it has the updates by Furious which had at least the preliminary SGB support and save states from sometime in 2020, so probably behind, depending how long ikari sat on those bits.  I'm aware of the issue ikari ran into with parts so they are and aren't the same since some stuff just wasn't supplied anymore, but for function they're the same until you get into that PRO version of sorts.  As you said my thoughts were, if it ran on mine or not it could lead to knowing if there's a glitch since it would be a fail on both hardware types.

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hmmm I may have that or what created it.  I looked into the copy on my computer of what's on that SD card in there, it has the updates by Furious which had at least the preliminary SGB support and save states from sometime in 2020, so probably behind, depending how long ikari sat on those bits.  I'm aware of the issue ikari ran into with parts so they are and aren't the same since some stuff just wasn't supplied anymore, but for function they're the same until you get into that PRO version of sorts.  As you said my thoughts were, if it ran on mine or not it could lead to knowing if there's a glitch since it would be a fail on both hardware types.

It had been my understanding that the SD2SNES Pro is the same as the FxPak Pro, but with different branding.  Maybe I misunderstood?  In any event, every game that I have tried with the SGB2 firmware seems to work great, other than this bizarre problem with Alleyway.  A real heartbreak, because Alleyway was actually one of my first Gameboy games.  I never understood why so many folks deride it.  Would love to get it working with this setup.

Well SD2SNES was the original

SD2SNES Pro was the upgrade in functionality, but shortly after he renamed it to the FXPak Pro, both are the same thing.

As said some of the original parts in what I have, they're canned, can't get them, so he made a new one which in turn had a little better specs in ways hence 'PRO.' As it was an upgrade due to the newer parts new limits.  Hardware wise the main differences between sd2snes and FXPAK pro are the new hardware component, a better FPGA with BGA instead of pins, 2x 64mb instead of 1x128mb, another voltage transformer, mini-SD slot, and mini USB socket and 4 MB of RAM.  Beyond that much of what has been added in firmware in the last couple of years isn't exclusive, works on both.  The unit allows for a larger cart to be loaded from what I've read, but currently that's even locked by a 96mbit limit so pointless.  The FPGA is faster, better, more capable but really isn't being tapped.

As long as you have a mid-life SD2SNES where it can handle MSU-1 games, it had enough revisions to the hardware to have good audio and otherwise work just nice.  But since the new core has a bit more room to work with, it's down to just 2 games the Pro can't work vs 5 for me.  The PRO lacks the power/space to run two advanced AI chips the ST-011(and 018) running Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 1 and 2.  For NON PRO people add 3 games, they're all using the SPC7110 (Far East of Eden, Momotaru Densetsu Happy, and Super Power League 4.)  That really is it.  That's the loss owning the old model vs the SF/FX PRO model.  So unless you're into super quirky Japanese stuff, or you're some Shougi addict...who cares. :D

46 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well SD2SNES was the original

SD2SNES Pro was the upgrade in functionality, but shortly after he renamed it to the FXPak Pro, both are the same thing.

As said some of the original parts in what I have, they're canned, can't get them, so he made a new one which in turn had a little better specs in ways hence 'PRO.' As it was an upgrade due to the newer parts new limits.  Hardware wise the main differences between sd2snes and FXPAK pro are the new hardware component, a better FPGA with BGA instead of pins, 2x 64mb instead of 1x128mb, another voltage transformer, mini-SD slot, and mini USB socket and 4 MB of RAM.  Beyond that much of what has been added in firmware in the last couple of years isn't exclusive, works on both.  The unit allows for a larger cart to be loaded from what I've read, but currently that's even locked by a 96mbit limit so pointless.  The FPGA is faster, better, more capable but really isn't being tapped.

As long as you have a mid-life SD2SNES where it can handle MSU-1 games, it had enough revisions to the hardware to have good audio and otherwise work just nice.  But since the new core has a bit more room to work with, it's down to just 2 games the Pro can't work vs 5 for me.  The PRO lacks the power/space to run two advanced AI chips the ST-011(and 018) running Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 1 and 2.  For NON PRO people add 3 games, they're all using the SPC7110 (Far East of Eden, Momotaru Densetsu Happy, and Super Power League 4.)  That really is it.  That's the loss owning the old model vs the SF/FX PRO model.  So unless you're into super quirky Japanese stuff, or you're some Shougi addict...who cares. :D

Okay. But I just can't figure out why it's not working properly with Alleyway.

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

My guess without having had a chance to try it, programming error.  I'd be shocked if a game so basic that doesn't even use one of the MBC expansion chips would have some glitch within it alone to set the whole thing off.

Programming of the firmware?  (In other words, maybe a future firmware update will fix it?  If so, does anyone have contact information for the person who programmed the FxPak Pro Super Gameboy firmware?)

15 minutes ago, timepilot said:

Programming of the firmware?  (In other words, maybe a future firmware update will fix it?  If so, does anyone have contact information for the person who programmed the FxPak Pro Super Gameboy firmware?)

Sure they have periodically updated the firmware on the thing, about a day after someone squeaks out the jailbreak version of it too.  They have not updated officially the firmware in about a year now, you can see here the jailbreak version of it at github for example that shows the update data from the official versions going back aways if you check the history of it.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Sure they have periodically updated the firmware on the thing, about a day after someone squeaks out the jailbreak version of it too.  They have not updated officially the firmware in about a year now, you can see here the jailbreak version of it at github for example that shows the update data from the official versions going back aways if you check the history of it.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak

I'm sorry; I'm asking about the FxPak Pro firmware, not the SuperNT firmware.

8 minutes ago, timepilot said:

I'm sorry; I'm asking about the FxPak Pro firmware, not the SuperNT firmware.

Yes that gets updates too, last one fairly recent from what I saw and I missed it.  July 10 2021

https://sd2snes.de/blog/

Below are the updates, if you want to read more there is more at the link.  It talks about the SGB feature, other stuff, and then also links to report issues on github, discord, etc.  I don't even have this update on mine because I had been using what got rolled into it already from a partner.

Features added:

• [All] USB (usb2snes) support by RedGuy
  • [All] save state support (via USB/savestate2snes) by RedGuy
  • [All] stand-alone save state features by FURiOUS
  • [All] some compatibility improvements and optimizations for stand-alone save states by ikari_01
    • Add support for YAML list items for multiple savestate_fixes entries per game
    • Add support for simple bitwise operations on savestate_fixes patches
    • Add support for verbatim code execution on savestate_fixes patches – notably fixes Star Ocean (decompressed) save states (however the save state hook still needs CPU time optimization to prevent music glitches in Star Ocean.)
    • Add IRQ support on top of NMI for the save state hook – this enables save states on Out Of This World and possibly other games that only use IRQ. Also fixes controller input capture on a number of games so the game-specific input hacks could be eliminated.
    • Moved save state code outside of the USB hook area to make room for USB hook execution.
  • [All] SGB support by Redacted173.
  • [All] favorite games list by freelancer42

Fixes:

• [All] Fixed data caching bug in MSU1 data extension which could cause wrong data to be streamed
  • [All] Savestates: do not try to capture data that is already in cartridge space anyway (e.g. SRAM). Fixes text distortion in Near’s Bahamut Lagoon translation when loading a state.
  • [All] Fixed YAML config parser to support comment signs after list start items
  • [All] Fixed SNES open-bus contamination (fixes sprite flickering in Near’s Bahamut Lagoon translation, certain speed runs that rely on open bus behaviour)
  • [All] (hopefully) fixed rapid data line toggling sometimes resulting in address line glitches, causing random crashes in extreme cases, and occasional garbled graphics on SMRPG among others
  • [All] Fixed data integrity problems when loading BSX games

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yes that gets updates too, last one fairly recent from what I saw and I missed it.  July 10 2021

Below are the updates, if you want to read more there is more at the link.  It talks about the SGB feature, other stuff, and then also links to report issues on github, discord, etc.  I don't even have this update on mine because I had been using what got rolled into it already from a partner.

Features added:

• [All] some compatibility improvements and optimizations for stand-alone save states by ikari_01
    • Add support for verbatim code execution on savestate_fixes patches – notably fixes Star Ocean (decompressed) save states (however the save state hook still needs CPU time optimization to prevent music glitches in Star Ocean.)
    • Add IRQ support on top of NMI for the save state hook – this enables save states on Out Of This World and possibly other games that only use IRQ. Also fixes controller input capture on a number of games so the game-specific input hacks could be eliminated.
    • Moved save state code outside of the USB hook area to make room for USB hook execution.

Fixes:

• [All] Fixed data caching bug in MSU1 data extension which could cause wrong data to be streamed
  • [All] Savestates: do not try to capture data that is already in cartridge space anyway (e.g. SRAM). Fixes text distortion in Near’s Bahamut Lagoon translation when loading a state.
  • [All] Fixed YAML config parser to support comment signs after list start items
  • [All] Fixed SNES open-bus contamination (fixes sprite flickering in Near’s Bahamut Lagoon translation, certain speed runs that rely on open bus behaviour)
  • [All] (hopefully) fixed rapid data line toggling sometimes resulting in address line glitches, causing random crashes in extreme cases, and occasional garbled graphics on SMRPG among others

Thank you.  I was using the 2020 version by smokemonster.  I will try this version.

42 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Features added:

Fixes:

Sorry, my thank-you was intended for Tanooki!

• Like 1