IGNORED

Atari VCS operating system won’t update. Help!

DoesItMatter

On 8/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, superatarian said:

Well it worked for me. After you boot the VCS up and you choose your network, look in the upper right hand corner and see what symbol is there.  If it looks like a key that is the Ethernet and you should be fine, but if it is the WIFI symbol then you may not be be. I updated the driver for the Realtek Ethernet via CCcleaner. The things started working. I do not know how things got screwed up, but it probably happened whil I was using the VCS to run Win10. I am VERY careful about what I do to the network settings while I am running Win10. I told the VCS Support Team about what happened to me and was told there soon will be an update that will fix this problem. Good luck...

I can buy an Ethernet cable today or tomorrow if that will work. 

So do I need to stay connected via Ethernet all the time while using the VCS, or do I need the Ethernet connection just to get past the update loop? 

14 hours ago, DoesItMatter said:

I can buy an Ethernet cable today or tomorrow if that will work. 

So do I need to stay connected via Ethernet all the time while using the VCS, or do I need the Ethernet connection just to get past the update loop? 

The ethernet cable may help during that initial update but it's not a guarantee.  I had issues months after my initial setup.  The system went into an update loop where it would fail and then fail again the next time it tried.  I had to send the unit back for that one.  As long as you have the ethernet, it wouldn't hurt to leave it in.  It's certainly faster and more stable than Wi-Fi.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:12 AM, zzip said:

Did you install any alternate OSes, or have a bootable USB inserted when you boot the system, or change anything in BIOS around boot settings

If not, then maybe something went wrong during the reflashing process and that needs to be done again

I've flashed it several times and I'm still stuck in an update loop. Is there anything at all I can do to get this to work? I'm so frustrated. 

On 8/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, Atari Nut said:

The ethernet cable may help during that initial update but it's not a guarantee.  I had issues months after my initial setup.  The system went into an update loop where it would fail and then fail again the next time it tried.  I had to send the unit back for that one.  As long as you have the ethernet, it wouldn't hurt to leave it in.  It's certainly faster and more stable than Wi-Fi.

The lan isn't always faster than Wi-Fi. Wifi 802.11 is very fast. But I'm ok with you, the ethernet is more stable.

After a bios update, the fan runs constantly and the logo LED is not on. The power button works to turn it on, but I have to hold the button for 5 seconds, to shut it off. I tried flashing a thumb drive, and waiting 20 minutes for it to re-flash, but no go. With a keyboard attached, and holding ESC, does the same thing, fan on, LED off, no video. Is there a way to fix this?

I tried a Lexar Flash Drive with same results. I'm flashing a Sandisk 16gb cruzer now. The original generic 64gb flash drive I used, did work on this VCS, because I used it to flash the bios to the celebrate password. I removed the password, then I reinstalled the OS from the flash drive, and it did a bios update, and now here I am.

• Sad 1

I started a ticket with Atari, but I've been given a little of a run around. They sent the instructions to re-flash, and said the engineers are working on a solution for some of the units sent out. I think the bios is blank. I have no no traffic on the usb drive, when attempting to flash. Just a blowing fan, and nobody's home.

36 minutes ago, whitecliff33 said:

I am also having the exact same 'update loop' problem after usb flash completed successfully. Has anyone resolved this yet? Thanks in advance!

I'm still having the same issue. I'm the author of this post and I have yet to reach a solution. This is extremely frustrating.

I've tried what some people have recommended, and I've flashed the console with 3 different OS image updates. There's a problem with each OS image flash I've tried.

• The old OS image recovery update from December 2020 doesn't work. I can connect to the internet and get past the initial updates, but it won't let me log into my account or create a new account.
  • The OS image update from November 2021 connects to the internet and gets past the initial updates, but it won't let me do anything unless I enter PIN, which I've never had to log in with a PIN before. I've never created one.
  • The latest & most recent OS image update from March 2022 is now the one that's making us get stuck in this endless "update loop". It keeps restarting, updating the 4/4 updates, then restarts again. After choosing the internet connection, it continues to put us through this updating & restarting cycle over & over. This is RIDICULOUS.

I even tried connecting to the internet via Ethernet instead of WIFI because some people have said that the Ethernet connection worked when booting with that connection, but it didn't work for me.

Atari VCS support doesn't know what else I can do. I've been told that they are aware of the situation because they have gotten reports of this situation from other customers and they currently have engineers working on a solution.

Does anyone know what else I can do at this point??? I just want to play my VCS with no issues. I've never had these problems with a console before ever. Please help.

• Sad 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, superatarian said:

Well it worked for me. After you boot the VCS up and you choose your network, look in the upper right hand corner and see what symbol is there.  If it looks like a key that is the Ethernet and you should be fine, but if it is the WIFI symbol then you may not be be. I updated the driver for the Realtek Ethernet via CCcleaner. The things started working. I do not know how things got screwed up, but it probably happened whil I was using the VCS to run Win10. I am VERY careful about what I do to the network settings while I am running Win10. I told the VCS Support Team about what happened to me and was told there soon will be an update that will fix this problem. Good luck...

So I purchased an Ethernet cable and connected to the internet via Ethernet when booting up the VCS. It still didn't work for me. I'm still stuck in this endless update/restart loop.

I was really banking on the Ethernet cable working for me since it seems like that was my last resort. I don't know what else to do. I've tried 3 different Atari OS images and they each have a differnt problem. What else could I possibly try?

15 minutes ago, Atari Nut said:

You re-flashed it again and then connected the Ethernet, correct?

Yes I did. I re-flashed with 3 different OS images with Ethernet connected just to see if maybe that would help either of them work. It worked for none of them.

The latest OS image from March 2022 is the one that has me stuck in the endless update/restart loop. I connected via Ethernet and it's STILL doing it. I don't know what else to do. It's so frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I just got my VCS from the recent Black Friday sale. I can't update my O/S as well :(  Never gets past step 1/4.

Should I be patient and wait for the servers to work or would it be easier/more effective to do an O/S update via flash drive? Wasn't sure if the servers were overwhelmed from new owners due to Black Friday.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:27 PM, unsafe357 said:

I just got my VCS from the recent Black Friday sale. I can't update my O/S as well :(  Never gets past step 1/4.

Should I be patient and wait for the servers to work or would it be easier/more effective to do an O/S update via flash drive? Wasn't sure if the servers were overwhelmed from new owners due to Black Friday.

I just received mine today, as well. Same issue with not updating straight out of the box. Also can’t create an account via the device, or open the only app when logged in as Guest. Opened a support ticket earlier today, but still awaiting a response. Plan on trying Ethernet cable and factory reset this weekend. I’ll advise if I make any progress.

Edited by grayskull

22 hours ago, grayskull said:

I just received mine today, as well. Same issue with not updating straight out of the box. Also can’t create an account via the device, or open the only app when logged in as Guest. Opened a support ticket earlier today, but still awaiting a response. Plan on trying Ethernet cable and factory reset this weekend. I’ll advise if I make any progress.

Update: Wired ethernet didn’t help either the OS download failure or the account setup. I’m going to hold off on pulling down the manual OS update until I hear back from Tech Support (at this point, I don’t trust stability of potentially pulling a non-compatible update).

Must say, I went into this purchase eyes wide open. Still disappointing that the level of available documentation or open help is so lacking, especially given the price point. Putting up a valid FAQ and support page should be a higher priority than pumping NFTs imho.

• Like 2