IGNORED

Doodling on the Odyssey²

atari2600land

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Added level 4: The Moon (Moon River?)

canoelevel4moon.png.ea5e12413e183dcf710423b46724b8da.png canoelevel4moon2.png.53a0fa56a19f32e896b6111fed04d017.png

This was hard because the alien kept showing up garbled. But I think I fixed it. Beginning on level 4, the enemies zig zag up and down.

The stars will eventually turn to trees. This is because I haven't programmed in levels 5 and 6 yet.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had to give up on the canoe game due to Odyssey 2 not wanting to do what I tell it to.

I was bored and wanted to play around with the Voice. "Don't Press the Letter Q" is a result of that. I will make this a collection of minigames like the Celery game I was making for the Channel F, or the Going Bananas game for the Atari 2600. I want to make this three minigames and a menu, just like Going Bananas, only each minigame will be 2k instead of just 1k, for a total of 8k. But right now, this is all I got.

dontpressq1.bin

• 2 weeks later...

"Don't Press the Letter Q" is also an Oric game, but I felt like trying to make it for the Odyssey 2 as well (or Videopac, as the Oric wasn't sold here in the States). I worked on this for a few hours and got the beginnings of the Pac-Man clone done. This will use the Voice. I suddenly am not feeling well, I feel like I need to vomit. My stomach got bad. So I'll quit for tonight.

dontpressq6.bin

I am feeling better. I made a whole bunch of changes to the program. So many I forgot what they all are. One thing of importance I did add was a "game over" sequence. Well, it's not really a sequence, it just freezes the game so you can look at your score and then you press fire to start over again. A thing I subtracted was the guy saying "Ouch" when he hit a wall. The thud sound effect is still there.

dontpressq13.bin

20 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I am feeling better. I made a whole bunch of changes to the program. So many I forgot what they all are. One thing of importance I did add was a "game over" sequence. Well, it's not really a sequence, it just freezes the game so you can look at your score and then you press fire to start over again. A thing I subtracted was the guy saying "Ouch" when he hit a wall. The thud sound effect is still there.

dontpressq13.bin 2 kB · 3 downloads

Glad you're better! I'm looking forward to trying out the updated version.

I went ahead and added a "title screen." It's in quotation marks because it says "SELECT Q" instead of "QUIRKY Q'S". There is no apostrophe in the Odyssey 2 character font. Also missing in the character font is an exclamation point, used in many Odyssey 2 game titles.

quirkyqs14.bin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I began working on a game called "The Golden Q Quest." It is a game like Venture. I don't have much stuff in it now. I have about 500 bytes left, so that should be enough room to put in enemies. I still need to play Venture to see what I'm doing, but I think the enemies will be ghosts so I don't have to worry about whether their positions are in a room or not.

venture4.bin

• Like 1

No sweat -- I mean, shoot, dude, this console isn't easy to program for, and you appear to have a coding quality in common with Bob Harris (Killer Bees) and Jim Butler (Turtles), my two favorite O2 game makers: From square one, you conceive of a game within the system's abilities, rather than fighting them and making them liabilities. And fitting a whole game into the ROM space...I wouldn't even know how to approach that level of efficiency.

Another way of putting it is that you (and those two guys) use the strengths of the console -- the qualities that make its fun games fun -- instead of coming up with an idea separately, and then forcing it in around the weaknesses. The limitations form the very playing style, rather than being fought. You've even somehow managed to do that with the Venture-inspired game, in spite of the fact that it already exists on systems with a lot more capacity.

I think The Golden Q Quest, at the least, deserves to be returned-to at some point, when you catch up on your backlog!

• Like 1