IGNORED

Composite mod troubleshooting

BitAnnihilator

I'm trying to install a composite mod based on the PDF in the DIY thread/Ben Heck's circuit, however when I connect it to my LCD monitor I get a very dim almost black picture when the pot is at 0 ohm. The RF output appears to be fine with no issues, it's just when it's through the composite circuit. I took voltage measurements and +12v at the circuit is almost spot on (12.08v). One weird thing I'm noticing is if I put my meter on the composite RCA I'm seeing close to 6V, not 0.7v-1v like I'd expect. I've double verified my layout (I'm using a small perfboard rather than hiding it in the RF box) and all of the wires and circuit match the PDF to a T, I've also verified all components (there's not much, 1K pot, 1K resistor, 2n3904 NPN). What would be the next things to check from here?

The Ben Heck Hack is a simple emitter-follower circuit.  If you read the voltage on the input side, you'll notice it's a slight amount higher than the output voltage.  The transistor just helps to tap that voltage without sapping too much from the source.

There's a better composite mod you can get from console5.com which is based on an op-amp.

If you insist on using transistors, though, I'd suggest a modified circuit to reduce the load on the RF even more.

1501120476_ScreenShot2022-01-11at11_17_37AM.thumb.png.f108d0890ddcbba34a6eddb5cbbdab43.png

Edited by ChildOfCv