IGNORED

Which is better, hundreds of THE BEST titles, or thousands of the best titles??? The 5200 vs. XEGS Debate

BIGHMW

3 hours ago, BIGHMW said:

I'll bet that, is what this is really about, it's that I bought a ColecoVision for its exclusive library of titles to go along with my 5200 and her lineup and for that they now think of having me as (somewhat of) their "boogeyman" (or scapegoat) because of it.

Waitaminute- the rumors are true? You bought a colecovision?? Oh, it's on now!

Bring It Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

On 1/14/2022 at 12:25 PM, BIGHMW said:

My obsession with having to have everything on one system is in hind sight to the fact of if it ever (financially) coming down to having to settle for having only one system, plain and simple.

If you want eveything on one system, just get a Raspberry PI and install RetroPie.  All retro systems and computers are supported and roms freely available.  If you don't have a giant sdcard, just get a 1TB SSD with an external case and plug it into the RPI.  Use any modern controller you like.  You can have that set up for less than $150

• Like 2

And now for my obligatory emulator commentary. Which, likely, everyone is tired of hearing about too. But I don't give a flying fuck!

1 hour ago, rayik said:

If you want eveything on one system, just get a Raspberry PI and install RetroPie.  All retro systems and computers are supported and roms freely available.  If you don't have a giant sdcard, just get a 1TB SSD with an external case and plug it into the RPI.  Use any modern controller you like.  You can have that set up for less than $150

RetroPie on R-Pi, MiSTer & FPGA, Software Emulation on SFF PC.. And more! All are options to get you clean, elegant, modernized hardware, electrically efficient, ultra-reliable, super convenient, extremely versatile, cost-effective gaming. It's my All-In-One Dreamcade!!

Ahh shit! Imma be nice today and stop right there..

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, BIGHMW said:

Thanks but I'm gonna focus on my Raiders beating those Kitties from Cincinnati

Nope.  Not gonna let you change the subject (again) and pretend that everything is A-OK.

You've pissed off multiple people, repeatedly, and they - myself included - keep calling you on your behaviour even after you've promised to stop it because you don't.  You hope that nobody notices when you inevitably start it up again, then wander off into another topic and pretend that nothing happened when they do.  That comment of yours quoted above is an absolutely sterling example of this.

You're not going to be allowed to do that anymore.  Right now, you're doing nothing to 'help the community' (or however else you justify your misbehaviour to yourself) and are in some ways hurting it.  Get your act together and knock this selfish crap off. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:
1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

Thanks but I'm gonna focus on my Raiders beating those Kitties from Cincinnati

Nope.  Not gonna let you change the subject (again) and pretend that everything is A-OK.

You've pissed off multiple people, repeatedly, and they - myself included - keep calling you on your behaviour even after you've promised to stop it because you don't.  You hope that nobody notices when you inevitably start it up again, then wander off into another topic and pretend that nothing happened when they do.  That comment of yours quoted above is an absolutely sterling example of this.

You're not going to be allowed to do that anymore.  Right now, you're doing nothing to 'help the community' (or however else you justify your misbehaviour to yourself) and are in some ways hurting it.  Get your act together and knock this selfish crap off. 

Shall we place bets on when his next thread begging for a port will be?  Or where he'll wander off to next before switching the thread to begging for a port?

• Like 2

I was aware that XEGS was yet another regurgitation of "8-bit technology". After being burned on the 5200 I learned my lesson.

Sure it's nice to see a long-lived platform be revised throughout the years. Apple did it with the II series. The II+, //e, //c and //e Platinum. Here's the thing however, Atari must've thought the general public was either stupid or naive. Each re-issuance was in a majorly redesigned housing/shell. Each iteration made to appear to be something totally new. Only after you started buying into the system did you discover - hey! I already got this! Seen this 10-year-old stuff before.

With the Apple II series there was no deception. Apple told you straight away about the specs and the compatibility and that next new machine was essentially an updated and revised version. When I got my //e I asked the salesman about compatibility with the old II+. He said over 99% of the stuff would work and I didn't have to worry about backward compatibility. The tech was the same as what came out in 1977 - with a few added features here and there. No sugarcoating. No attempts to hide you were buying shit designed in 1976 and 1977.

• Like 2

Well the brain trust there, including the incoming Tramiel's, never grasped the console market properly.  The XEGS was largely sold as a cheaper, beginning, computer system.  One that would be more readily accepted by the toy and big box retail chains, who all shied away from computers which routinely cost 4-figures.  The problem was the technology in the XEGS was outdated, and like with all failed consoles, the software support was dreadful.  Jack's old shop made the same mistake with the CD32 disaster.  Sure, sticking an Amiga 1200 into a console should have been a terrific idea, except that by the time it came out, even in Europe its games released in 94-95 were hardly 16-bit let alone 32-bit!  And it was a crowded marketplace, very much similar to the XEGS.  Look Jack had multiple shots at console success at that time.  He should have signed up to be Sega's distributor for the Genesis.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Keatah said:

I was aware that XEGS was yet another regurgitation of "8-bit technology"

At the time the XEGS was released, my personal opinion was that it was a 'doesn't need to exist' machine.  Setting that aside, however:

The XEGS is a great example of something that never really gained traction time and again in the console market: the console that could also be expanded into a computer.

Sure, there were manufacturers who managed to make it happen - APF was able to expand the MP-1000 console into the Imagination Machine computer, Coleco did much the same with the Adam, and Atari managed it with the XEGS.  But, by and large, the hardware to turn <insert console here> into something approximating a fully-fledged computer generally remained vapourware.  Those who did manage to make it a reality never saw any significant rewards from their efforts, either.

As the above relates to the XEGS: when the systems are sold in a bundle that includes the keyboard, just how much of a console is it, really?

I do like the general aesthetics of it, including the big, round, pastel buttons, however.  But it very much was a money-for-old-rope move by Tramiel-era Atari.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

As the above relates to the XEGS: when the systems are sold in a bundle that includes the keyboard, just how much of a console is it, really?

I never thought about it that way. It did bother me, however, when previously unbundled things suddenly became bundled. This signified something was getting harder to sell, inventory pile-up, an attempt at putting lipstick on a pig. Bundled things were unnecessary things to me.

It could even apply to more extensive "packages" too. Again, using Apple II as example: You could get a 48K console, disk drive, modulator, extra 100-page manual comprehensible by mom'n'pop and geared toward the absolute beginner, a few "safe" family type programs, cables, and other small accessories. This was known as the "Family System". Apple had to do something to market the II+ to home users. Had the price to match it all too!

Originally with Apple II you just got console and some manuals, and a power cord. Not enough to be usable in the way consumers wanted. Hence the above-described "Family System" package.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I do like the general aesthetics of it, including the big, round, pastel buttons, however.  But it very much was a money-for-old-rope move by Tramiel-era Atari.

I don't think I ever cared for the design aesthetics. Typical later 1980's cues. It was too Miami Vice'ish. The diagonal molded grille lines, the big pastel buttons. And I like it even less today. I've more gripes but not the industrial language to convey it all in a non-tedious manner.

Not sure what was worse? That or the late 90's half-melted look where everything had to be aero-rounded. Making it impossible to stack stuff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

I don't think I ever cared for the design aesthetics. Typical later 1980's cues. It was too Miami Vice'ish. The diagonal molded grille lines, the big pastel buttons. And I like it even less today. I've more gripes but not the industrial language to convey it all in a non-tedious manner.

Understood, and I'm absolutely the first to admit that aesthetics are entirely subjective.

Of the XE range, however, the XEGS pretty much the only one that I have any interest in one day eventually - maybe - owning.  The 'ST Junior' looks of the 65XE and 130XE have never appealed to me, though I've no problem with them on the ST.  The XEGS is enough of a departure from that to at least catch my interest a bit, keyboard notwithstanding.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 6:38 PM, Keatah said:

Yes again. Tolerance and patience. If I left every forum where someone tried to snub me the wrong way, shit.. man.. I'd have no reason to have an internet connection!

And forum software has the ability to block users who get under your skin,   I don't know why more people don't go that route instead of threaten to leave or try to get a user banned globally.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, zzip said:

And forum software has the ability to block users who get under your skin,   I don't know why more people don't go that route instead of threaten to leave or try to get a user banned globally.

Or leaving well enough alone once the thread has died down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Here's my 2 cents on this.....

Basically, and, speaking as a 5200 owner at that time (and as an owner of both units now) I often ignored the XEGS ads on TV (mainly on the Marc Summers-hosted/Nickelodeon-produced/Fox-syndicated "Double Dare" game show), not knowing about the XE series of computers thinking why would I want this when I already owned a 5200 (and an Intellivision II at that time) and that this was just another 8-bit rehash of an Atari system. At that time I wasn't interested in getting another system knowing I already was fully stocked with the Wico 5200 joysticks, plenty of backup CX52 joysticks and two CX53 Trak-Balls (all bought in L.A. before moving to Port Townsend in 1987) and almost every game (almost all 69 titles sans Bounty Bob Strikes Back so not quite all of them) that came out for it.

Yes I was aware of all the "unique" XE Game System cartridges (like Lode Runner and Flight Simulator II) but knew nothing of its backwards-compatibility with legacy 400/800/XL/XE titles (on cartridge, disk, and cassette), but anyways we already had improved titles of most of the A8 games on our 5200 so why even bother. I was also living 40 miles away from the nearest mall so there was no Kay-Bee toy store to try her out (you had to go to Kitsap Mall in Silverdale, WA) so I was (and still am) happy owning Big Sexy and thank goodness for guys like all you developers as well as @classics@playsoft, and @Wrathchild with their brilliant A8 conversions and all the homebrewers over the years who continue to churn out great games for all 4 of Atari's legacy systems.

Ray Kassar (the Warner-era) and Jack Tramiel (the Atari Corp.-era) would be very proud of all of you and of all of us for keeping the faith.