IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2022

Razzie.P

We’re a few days in now and no 2022 thread for this, so hope it’s ok if I kick one off.

1)  Transformers: Devastation (PS4)

This game was amazing and somehow remembered how to put “fun and gameplay” before all the garbage that most modern games tend to do these days.

I’ve never been a Transformers fan.  No toys.   Didn’t care for the cartoon.  Couldn’t finish the animated movie.  So, no childhood bias here – it was just a fantastic, fun game from beginning to end.

Can’t imagine how much I’d be gushing over this one if I was a fan.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

We’re a few days in now and no 2022 thread for this, so hope it’s ok if I kick one off.

1)  Transformers: Devastation (PS4)

This game was amazing and somehow remembered how to put “fun and gameplay” before all the garbage that most modern games tend to do these days.

I’ve never been a Transformers fan.  No toys.   Didn’t care for the cartoon.  Couldn’t finish the animated movie.  So, no childhood bias here – it was just a fantastic, fun game from beginning to end.

Can’t imagine how much I’d be gushing over this one if I was a fan.

That's cool!  I ought to see if there's a port to the XBox.  Transformers games, for the most part, are just awful.  It started I think with the C64 and never got better. lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

That's cool!  I ought to see if there's a port to the XBox.  Transformers games, for the most part, are just awful.  It started I think with the C64 and never got better. lol

Looks like it was, if a quick google search is to believed.

Platforms: PlayStation 4, Microsoft Windows, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Xbox One

I bought the physical copy on a whim during a Black Friday sale (because of the developer) and it sat on my shelf.  Then it became a PS Plus "freebie" at some point, so it was in my digital library and I figured it's time to give it a go.  I've played through the story twice now, and still playing the extra missions.  Quite a bit of content.

I played the PS4 version on PS5, and I'm not sure how that impacted the load times and such, if at all, but the whole thing just felt so seamless.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll repost this since I had initially posted in the 2021 thread (but was actually beaten in 2022)

I wrapped up the campaign mode for Halo Infinite the other night.

About the only modern game I've been playing apart from the occasional Horde Mode in Gears 5.

It's the first time I've used the cloud gaming option from Xbox Game Pass to play a new Halo campaign from start to finish.  Overall, it wasn't bad.  Some minor hiccups here and there (strangely when you turn on the flashlight I get a moment of screen tearing) and it may just be me, but I swear the aiming and shooting feels different.  Could be the lag.  I need to try it out again if/when I download it to my hard drive.

• Like 2

I had Transformers Devastation for XBox One sitting on my shelf for years and finally pulled it out and played it (in 2020).  I think I even posted about it in a similar thread . . .

Anyway, I had the same reaction as you.  The game is just fun.  I played it around the same time as games with a similar control style (God of War & Jedi Fallen Order) and I thought it was more fun that both of those.  I even went back and tried to find more of the collectibles and do some of the challenges.  Even upgrading the robot abilities and weapons seemed unique and fun to me . . .

• Like 1

Well, I finished my playthrough of the Mass Effect Legendary edition by completing Mass Effect 3 earlier this week.  This is at least the second time I've played through all 3 games on "Insanity" difficulty, and it was great.  There were a few points where the difficulty was just too hard.  I lost my sh!+ trying to complete the Citadel DLC on "Insanity," but I did manage to push through eventually and didn't have to spoil getting the special achievement for finishing all 3 games on the highest diff.  Because I post consistently in the time tracking thread, I can say confidently that it took me 13,041 minutes (or 217 hours or 9 days).  That doesn't seem too crazy since I spread that out over the course of 9 months.

586875502_ME3GroupPicj.thumb.png.02737fc540b9d724543224a36655b9e3.png

• Like 4

On 1/17/2022 at 10:56 AM, Ninjabba said:

I realized that I didn't finish a single game in 2021, but for some reason managed to finish Detroit: Become Human within a week.

Not much game play, but I did like the story unfolding and some of the nerve-wrecking choices that you have to make quickly.

I've thought about buying this one several times because I loved Beyond 2 Souls. Every time I watch a video of it though I always back out. 

• Like 2

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir (Nintendo DS)

148881B5-3E0D-4228-A07E-8BE6689FC228.thumb.jpeg.b7708f8eeb9c27f5d2c18bfc21784a10.jpeg

I always wanted to give a hidden object game a try to challenge my prejudice, and I thought a Nintendo-published one would be better than most. Meh. It was very funny in parts but got duller and more repetitive as the game went on. It wouldn’t be hard to make this genre more fun by making it more wordplay based, more interactive, and generally more like a point and click adventure, but I gather that would diminish the appeal for most of the casual gamers who play these. Ah well.

• Like 2

I guess I'm on fire now, though 90% was done in 2021.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the DS

Awesome game, truly wish they would port the DS games to the Switch.

On 1/21/2022 at 5:05 AM, Punisher5.0 said:

I've thought about buying this one several times because I loved Beyond 2 Souls. Every time I watch a video of it though I always back out. 

Not sure what would stop you from playing from this, but I played Heavy Rain before and liked Detroid: Become Human a lot more.

I never played Beyond 2 Souls though

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 10:05 PM, Punisher5.0 said:

19 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

I guess I'm on fire now, though 90% was done in 2021.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow on the DS

Awesome game, truly wish they would port the DS games to the Switch.

Not sure what would stop you from playing from this, but I played Heavy Rain before and liked Detroid: Become Human a lot more.

I never played Beyond 2 Souls though

I have played all 3.  Detroit was definitely the most advanced, but I enjoyed it the least.  I found the near future "world building" unbelievable, and I was at best unimpressed by the overly transparent comparison of robot "rights" to human civil rights.  I'm sure some would be offended.

I also just kinda played the story "wrong" according to many online "experts" and could never really get a very satisfying ending.  I could go back and make some different choices, but at the end of it all, I was left never really ever wanting to touch the thing again.  I had a totally opposite experience with "Beyond."  That game left me very impressed and even wanting more.

Detroit: Become Human | Therapy Thread [Will Contain Spoilers] - Sony PlayStation 4 - AtariAge Forums

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:43 AM, jgkspsx said:

Mystery Case Files: MillionHeir (Nintendo DS)

148881B5-3E0D-4228-A07E-8BE6689FC228.thumb.jpeg.b7708f8eeb9c27f5d2c18bfc21784a10.jpeg

I always wanted to give a hidden object game a try to challenge my prejudice, and I thought a Nintendo-published one would be better than most. Meh. It was very funny in parts but got duller and more repetitive as the game went on. It wouldn’t be hard to make this genre more fun by making it more wordplay based, more interactive, and generally more like a point and click adventure, but I gather that would diminish the appeal for most of the casual gamers who play these. Ah well.

I remember seeing the MCF stuff on like Big Fish Games for PC if you remember that.  My wife is super into these kinda games.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

I remember seeing the MCF stuff on like Big Fish Games for PC if you remember that.  My wife is super into these kinda games.

Yep, this was a collaboration between Big Fish and Nintendo. I gather the PC games are gothic soap operas, but after a very funny start this one kind of lost a personality.

• Like 1

I finally finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords last night. I've always liked the idea of KOTOR 2, I had the Xbox disc back in 2005, and had meant to play through it when it got a big 2.0 facelift (high resolution, widescreen, controller support, mac/linux support) in 2015. I didn't actually get around to it until they ported it to mobile in December 2020. Then finding over 30 hours to play it consistently was a challenge. Having iCloud saves to easily move between my phone and tablet made it easier.

Spoiler-free impressions: The endgame was a slog, and the story was a convoluted, unfinished mess, but I knew that going in. If I find I am missing it, I'll go back and replay it with the Restored Content Mod, but right now, I think I'll move on to reading a book or something, and hold off on starting another long RPG. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I finally finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords last night. I've always liked the idea of KOTOR 2, I had the Xbox disc back in 2005, and had meant to play through it when it got a big 2.0 facelift (high resolution, widescreen, controller support, mac/linux support) in 2015. I didn't actually get around to it until they ported it to mobile in December 2020. Then finding over 30 hours to play it consistently was a challenge. Having iCloud saves to easily move between my phone and tablet made it easier.

Spoiler-free impressions: The endgame was a slog, and the story was a convoluted, unfinished mess, but I knew that going in. If I find I am missing it, I'll go back and replay it with the Restored Content Mod, but right now, I think I'll move on to reading a book or something, and hold off on starting another long RPG. 

I have this installed on my XBox One, but I haven't been able to bring myself to start it.  I admit that the availability of the mods have stopped me, but I generally don't do mods.  I spend enough time in my professional life configuring software that video game mods kinda feel like too much work in my personal life.

Still . . . I want to play this one at some point.

I slogged through What Remains of Edith Finch on Xbox Game Pass last night.

What a bizarre and messed up game.  Perfect example of why I despise modern games - from their so-called 'artistic' / 'avante garde' / 'storyteller' style, to the weird title that seems to be all the rage lately.  Go look at the selection of games on Xbox Game Pass...you see stupid titles like "Kill It with Fire", "Boyfriend Dungeon" and "Dandy Ace"...wtf?

The whole thing can be 'beaten' in 2 hours.  But it's the same thing over and over...walk through house, be handheld through various clues and rooms, endure some pretty disturbing gameplay sequences (like transforming into a cat, then a hawk and a people eating monster, playing through a sequence where a baby drowns in a tub, a guy committing suicide via some fantasy hallucinations, etc).  The whole thing plays out like a cheap Netflix or Amazon Prime movie rather than a game.  

Just messed up, like the majority of today's society I suppose.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

Go look at the selection of games on Xbox Game Pass...you see stupid titles like "Kill It with Fire", "Boyfriend Dungeon" and "Dandy Ace"...wtf?

Well, all titles can't be as bad ass!!! as some of our retro offerings like --

Attack of the Mutant Camels

Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom

Ninja Hamster

Ninja Golf

?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Well, all titles can't be as bad ass!!! as some of our retro offerings like --

Attack of the Mutant Camels

Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom

Ninja Hamster

Ninja Golf

?

You have a point, there were some rather fruity game titles back then too.

But not to the extent that we're seeing from this new breed of game developers. 

Meh.  They can keep their bizzaro games that include suicide, baby drowning and boyfriend dungeons for themselves.

7 hours ago, Leonard Smith said:

I slogged through What Remains of Edith Finch on Xbox Game Pass last night.

What a bizarre and messed up game.  Perfect example of why I despise modern games - from their so-called 'artistic' / 'avante garde' / 'storyteller' style, to the weird title that seems to be all the rage lately.  Go look at the selection of games on Xbox Game Pass...you see stupid titles like "Kill It with Fire", "Boyfriend Dungeon" and "Dandy Ace"...wtf?

The whole thing can be 'beaten' in 2 hours.  But it's the same thing over and over...walk through house, be handheld through various clues and rooms, endure some pretty disturbing gameplay sequences (like transforming into a cat, then a hawk and a people eating monster, playing through a sequence where a baby drowns in a tub, a guy committing suicide via some fantasy hallucinations, etc).  The whole thing plays out like a cheap Netflix or Amazon Prime movie rather than a game.  

Just messed up, like the majority of today's society I suppose.  

LOL - What were you expecting?  it's in the "walking simulator" genre after all.

I personally liked it.  I didn't expect a 40 hour epic.  I just wanted to hear the story and find out what happened to her family.  It felt like reading a good short story and it cost me about the same amount of time.  No big whoop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

LOL - What were you expecting?  it's in the "walking simulator" genre after all.

I personally liked it.  I didn't expect a 40 hour epic.  I just wanted to hear the story and find out what happened to her family.  It felt like reading a good short story and it cost me about the same amount of time.  No big whoop.

If that's what passes for an entertaining time these days, then no thanks.

• Sad 1

2)  Death’s Door (Xbox)

Saw this on Game Pass and figured I’d give it a shot.  It seemed  a bit odd at first.  You’re a small crow with some sort of lightsaber working as a Grim Reaper for some drab corporate office type of setup.   Or something like that. But…. 

This game was fantastic!  I expect to revisit for a few more playthroughs  over the years.  It felt a like a little bit 2D Zelda… a little bit Ys… Bastion came to mind at times.   Yep, good stuff!

The only thing that stops it short of being a “perfect 10” for me is the lack of a map.   It doesn’t need one, and it great “as is,” but some sort of mapping system (other than old school pen n' paper) sure would have been a plus.

The downside to finishing a game like this -- whatever I play next will probably feel like quite a letdown  ?

• Like 2

On 1/27/2022 at 7:04 PM, wongojack said:

I loved What Remains of Edith Finch. It was aesthetically amazing and as a member of a somewhat cursed family with a history of suicides and too-young deaths it really spoke to me. On the other hand, Dear Esther and That Dragon, Cancer did nothing for me except make me impatient, so I do sympathize with Leonard.

I beat an HD remake of an old DSi favorite I just bought for the third time, Gunman Clive. It is short but a really good time.

0A5EA174-CB1D-470C-9180-250B542162F5.thumb.jpeg.e11686cb72ca7c703b193d54b1e0366a.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I loved What Remains of Edith Finch. It was aesthetically amazing and as a member of a somewhat cursed family with a history of suicides and too-young deaths it really spoke to me. On the other hand, Dear Esther and That Dragon, Cancer did nothing for me except make me impatient, so I do sympathize with Leonard.

I beat an HD remake of an old DSi favorite I just bought for the third time, Gunman Clive. It is short but a really good time.

0A5EA174-CB1D-470C-9180-250B542162F5.thumb.jpeg.e11686cb72ca7c703b193d54b1e0366a.jpeg

I started Dear Esther and never finished.  Have not played That Dragon, Cancer

Games in the genre I did enjoy include: (stay away from these @Leonard Smith)  The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, and especially The Vanishing of Ethan CarterBrothers a Tale of Two Sons and Old Man's Story are depicted in a different visual perspective but have a similar vibe.  There's also a bit more actual gameplay in those.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

2)  Death’s Door (Xbox)

Saw this on Game Pass and figured I’d give it a shot.  It seemed  a bit odd at first.  You’re a small crow with some sort of lightsaber working as a Grim Reaper for some drab corporate office type of setup.   Or something like that. But…. 

This game was fantastic!  I expect to revisit for a few more playthroughs  over the years.  It felt a like a little bit 2D Zelda… a little bit Ys… Bastion came to mind at times.   Yep, good stuff!

The only thing that stops it short of being a “perfect 10” for me is the lack of a map.   It doesn’t need one, and it great “as is,” but some sort of mapping system (other than old school pen n' paper) sure would have been a plus.

The downside to finishing a game like this -- whatever I play next will probably feel like quite a letdown  ?

Wow, I think I've skipped over this many times.  I'll have to give it a try now.

One question though - why is it #2?  Is that the 2nd game you've finished this year?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wongojack said:

One question though - why is it #2?  Is that the 2nd game you've finished this year?

Yep, second game this year.   Numbering them is a habit I formed when I first starting posting my "games beaten" some years ago.   I found that I was looking back through all posts to manually count and see "how many have I finished this year," so numbering them as I go fixed that for me  ?

• Like 2