IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2022

Razzie.P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

6)  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder's Revenge (Switch)

These guys did a fantastic job bringing that arcade beat-em up feel to modern consoles.  Simple enough for anyone to join, but enough added depth to allow players to work in additional movesets and combos as wanted.

• Like 5

7)  Deathloop  (PS5)

For the first hour or 2, I wasn’t sure if I was gonna like this one.  I kept thinking “another game with incredible review scores that’s just not for me”

Then it clicked.

Then it clicked hard.

And this was one of the most amazing games I’ve ever played.

I’ve never really played anything like it.  I’ve played games that have parts that are like it.  It’s a FPS.  Or you can play Stealth.  (straight up Deus Ex, at times)  With an invasion mechanic (Souls games) and a lot of No One Lives Forever vibes but with parts of Majora’s Mask timeloops while planning the job like Sly Cooper.  Yeah, something like that. 

But yep, confusing as hell until it wasn’t, and then it shot to somewhere on the “greatest of all time in my mind” list.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

8 )  Breath of the Wild (WiiU Version)

I bought this on Switch at launch, and tried multiple times to play though it but it just never clicked with me.  But there was something there that stuck in my mind as a game I wanted to complete “some day” and that day finally came, I guess.  I played through the WiiU version on PC due to the graphical upgrades and framerate increase.  The framerate increase really improved it a lot, for me.

I can see why this one is considered a masterpiece.  And the good parts are amazing and the attention to detail and world building are likely the best I’ve ever seen.  But overall, it’s just not for me, I don’t think.  I’m glad I stuck around for the good stuff, but it really feels like the whole game was about 10% gameplay, and 90% walking around doing f all.   Which is cool if you’re the type of gamer that likes to “chill and explore,” but I’d prefer to see those percentages reversed, personally.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 10:59 AM, Razzie.P said:

8 )  Breath of the Wild (WiiU Version)

I bought this on Switch at launch, and tried multiple times to play though it but it just never clicked with me.  But there was something there that stuck in my mind as a game I wanted to complete “some day” and that day finally came, I guess.  I played through the WiiU version on PC due to the graphical upgrades and framerate increase.  The framerate increase really improved it a lot, for me.

I can see why this one is considered a masterpiece.  And the good parts are amazing and the attention to detail and world building are likely the best I’ve ever seen.  But overall, it’s just not for me, I don’t think.  I’m glad I stuck around for the good stuff, but it really feels like the whole game was about 10% gameplay, and 90% walking around doing f all.   Which is cool if you’re the type of gamer that likes to “chill and explore,” but I’d prefer to see those percentages reversed, personally.

I also played this game on the WiiU.  I didn't know THAT much about it really, but I have played almost every Zelda game there is, and I am a fan of (the often compared) Skyrim, so I knew I had to play it eventually.  My playthrough was a few years ago when the game was already considered "old." 

I wasn't as impressed as some people seem to be.  For instance, the cooking needed a hack where you could just buy sh!+ instead of making it all the time, and I REALLY thought the NPCs you encountered for the most part did more to detract from the experience than improve it.  IMO, the game seemed to shine when Link was alone either trying to solve a puzzle to lead to the next boss or just exploring Hyrule.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No Mans Sky - Platinum trophy

Weird how I have PS4 and PS5 trophies for this maxed out now. Its the same game Ive owned but the PS5 update to it unlocked trophies all over again. I wonder how many other games are like this too. Inflate my PSN score I guess...

16622674614303398116960939554049.thumb.jpg.ea5dbb7c07f7009b3f884204c9bb606d.jpg

• Like 2

Avadon: The Black Fortress (PC)
I completed this now, after years of on-and-off playing. The game took me 50 hours to complete, but I had to restart partway through due to losing my saves when I got a new computer. I reckon it actually took about 40 hours, though I skipped a lot of the optional stuff.

Avadon excels in exploration and questing. Individual locations are massive and full of content. It's always a lot of fun arriving at a new location and seeing what's there. Exploration is almost always rewarded, with some good loot or even an entire side-quest.  What's even better, is that many quests (even the main quest!) offer multiple solutions. Granted, most of the time you simply have two choices: follow your orders to the letter, or side with a local power. Your decisions will even affect your companions during the endgame.

There is a ton of loot to find in the game, and equipment can really make a difference with some good choices to make (for example, do you choose a sword that simply does more damage, or one that is weaker but adds a valuable point to one of your key skills?).

Finally, the story ends up being pretty interesting, with a nuanced take on hegemony. There is no "evil empire" here, just rival powers trying to do the best to keep their people alive. You are tested throughout the game on your loyalty to Avadon, and while a lesser game would have made the decision black-and-white, this game provides good arguments for either side.

However, a few things kept me from really getting into this game:

• The main quest is quite linear and the game seems to be story-focused, but the story goes absolutely nowhere for the middle 30 hours, during which you are just getting sent from one kingdom to the next settling disputes. Until the last 5-10 hours of the game, you don't really feel like an elite representative of a hegemon, but instead just an adventurer going around solving quests.
  • The game was allegedly balanced for the Normal difficulty level, but I found the game to be ridiculously easy. Most enemies just run straight at you. Combat becomes very tedious and boring, not even halfway through the game. Then, during the last 25% of the game you become basically immortal, yet every single enemy is hasted/frenzied so you are forced to watch every single enemy attack (and miss) twice before you get to do anything.
  • The three-person party is really a drag. There is no room for tactics, but on Normal, anyway, you don't really need any. Stand back and use ranged weapons, then switch to melee once enemies are within range (or step one square away and just keep using your ranged attack). I rarely had to use any special abilities or even items; I ended up with a massive stock of potions, scrolls, and wands. But even without using any of this stuff, I never used a resurrection scroll (there's an achievement for that!) and never saw a game over.

---

Overall, this was a decent RPG to play while doing other things, such as listening to music or watching videos. Although that sounds like damning the game with faint praise, it's not my intention. Not every RPG needs to be a total struggle that commands your attention at all times.  I liked it enough that I'm definitely interested in playing through the trilogy. I've heard that the second game is a big improvement, and am looking forward to playing it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...