IGNORED

Modern Games Beaten in 2022

Razzie.P

2 hours ago, digdugnate said:

I finished it on Switch this past weekend!

As much as I enjoyed this and the first 2 originals I hold out for a Saga remake. Lost source code is just an excuse anymore. So many games are getting ground up remakes. I played through Saga once 20 years ago. So even a ground up close approximation of it I pry wouldn't notice differences. 

Baldur's Gate (PC) (w/ Tales of the Sword Coast expansion)

I couldn't decide whether to post here or in the classic computer forum, as I played the original version, but on a modern PC.  Well, "This forum is for discussion of all modern game systems, including gaming on consoles and computers" so I'll post here, I guess.

Anyway, I finally completed this monster of an RPG for the first time. I've tried to get into this game many times starting way back in 1998, but it really never clicked until this current game (which I started a year or more ago).  I ended up really getting into this, and it probably took around 70 hours start to finish.

I played the original version (not the Enhanced Edition) without any mods, etc., and played a "fake multiplayer" game so I could create a full party from the start.  I thought that the game had really excellent exploration and party building. Since you start the game at level 1, gaining even a single level or a +1 weapon early on feels like a massive increase in power.  There's so much to find and do in this game.  A lot of the wilderness areas are pretty empty, but I like that they're there.  It makes it feel like you're on a massive quest, and you can definitely skip most of the emptier areas if you want (I did).

Although I much prefer turn-based combat, I thought the RTwP combat was fine here. I did have some initial frustration with such a big party, but I stopped treating the game like an older RPG where you have to all stick together, and began splitting my party up more often, and this made things a lot more manageable. I really liked how useful a thief is in this game; it was very cool sending my thief out to search for traps and scout for enemies.

---

Overall, I really enjoyed this game!  I'll definitely transfer my party to the sequel, but will probably go back to Phantasy Star II next.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, newtmonkey said:

Baldur's Gate (PC) (w/ Tales of the Sword Coast expansion)

I couldn't decide whether to post here or in the classic computer forum, as I played the original version, but on a modern PC.  Well, "This forum is for discussion of all modern game systems, including gaming on consoles and computers" so I'll post here, I guess.

Anyway, I finally completed this monster of an RPG for the first time. I've tried to get into this game many times starting way back in 1998, but it really never clicked until this current game (which I started a year or more ago).  I ended up really getting into this, and it probably took around 70 hours start to finish.

I played the original version (not the Enhanced Edition) without any mods, etc., and played a "fake multiplayer" game so I could create a full party from the start.  I thought that the game had really excellent exploration and party building. Since you start the game at level 1, gaining even a single level or a +1 weapon early on feels like a massive increase in power.  There's so much to find and do in this game.  A lot of the wilderness areas are pretty empty, but I like that they're there.  It makes it feel like you're on a massive quest, and you can definitely skip most of the emptier areas if you want (I did).

Although I much prefer turn-based combat, I thought the RTwP combat was fine here. I did have some initial frustration with such a big party, but I stopped treating the game like an older RPG where you have to all stick together, and began splitting my party up more often, and this made things a lot more manageable. I really liked how useful a thief is in this game; it was very cool sending my thief out to search for traps and scout for enemies.

---

Overall, I really enjoyed this game!  I'll definitely transfer my party to the sequel, but will probably go back to Phantasy Star II next.

I have tried to play this game a few times.  I still haven't tried the enhanced edition. The last time I played quite a bit, but I decided that I didn't like my party and lost interest once I made it actually into the titular city.  I may try to give it a go again someday.  Didn't know about "fake multiplayer."  I may have to look that up.  I did hit some bugs on my playthrough and thought the way it interrupted fast travel could be better.  Makes me wonder if the enhanced edition attempts to "fix" anything.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wongojack said:

I have tried to play this game a few times.  I still haven't tried the enhanced edition. The last time I played quite a bit, but I decided that I didn't like my party and lost interest once I made it actually into the titular city.  I may try to give it a go again someday.  Didn't know about "fake multiplayer."  I may have to look that up.  I did hit some bugs on my playthrough and thought the way it interrupted fast travel could be better.  Makes me wonder if the enhanced edition attempts to "fix" anything.

The Enhanced Edition does add/fix a lot of stuff, though much of what it adds can be replicated in the original version using fan patches, mods, etc.  Having said that, I ran the original version installed from GOG without any additional patches/mods, and it ran fine without a single bug over 70 hours.  The biggest "issue" I have with EE is that it stuffs BG1 into the BG2 engine, so some stuff works differently (mostly, enemy spawning).

Definitely consider running a fake multiplayer game for full party creation!  I had the same exact issue as you playing it vanilla (didn't care for my party, lost interest a few chapters in), but I ended up growing quite attached to my custom party.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2022 at 2:03 PM, newtmonkey said:

The Enhanced Edition does add/fix a lot of stuff, though much of what it adds can be replicated in the original version using fan patches, mods, etc.  Having said that, I ran the original version installed from GOG without any additional patches/mods, and it ran fine without a single bug over 70 hours.  The biggest "issue" I have with EE is that it stuffs BG1 into the BG2 engine, so some stuff works differently (mostly, enemy spawning).

Definitely consider running a fake multiplayer game for full party creation!  I had the same exact issue as you playing it vanilla (didn't care for my party, lost interest a few chapters in), but I ended up growing quite attached to my custom party.

I actually just picked up the enhanced edition in one of the currently running Humble Bundles!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Icewind Dale (PC)

(Original release [GOG])

Having completed Baldur's Gate for the first time only a month ago, I decided to go in release order and move on to ID instead of continuing to BG2.  Unlike BG, Icewind Dale is meant to be played with full party creation, and at first, I thought I would just create my party and explore the first town.  Well, I ended up getting very addicted and, one month later, I've now completed Icewind Dale and both expansions (Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster).  I played through the game on "Normal" (core AD&D rules) and it took just over 60 hours to get through it all.

It's much more linear than BG.  Instead of a mostly open world to explore as in BG, ID has you going from one dungeon to the next, while working out of a hub area.  Although I did miss the freedom of BG, ID was definitely less frustrating.  ID is thankfully free of the BG "trick" of having you walk upstairs and being immediately incinerated with fireballs and lightning bolts from multiple enemy magic users just waiting for you.  Instead, I found myself able to react naturally to combat as events occurred, and it felt very satisfying indeed to pause the action, make good use of spells/items, and win some very difficult encounters.

I can't say enough good things about this game.  It still looks and sounds great today, and the dungeons and combat are first class.  You explore everything from tiny caves to sprawling underground fortresses, and some of the large "dungeons" are nonlinear with multiple goals to accomplish in any order.  Combat, meanwhile, is mostly all designed and placed by hand, and enemy placement takes full advantage of terrain.  Very satisfying.

---

All in all, a fantastic game, and I enjoyed it even more than Baldur's Gate 1.  Highly recommended!

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

On 10/23/2022 at 10:51 AM, newtmonkey said:

Icewind Dale (PC)

(Original release [GOG])

Having completed Baldur's Gate for the first time only a month ago, I decided to go in release order and move on to ID instead of continuing to BG2.  Unlike BG, Icewind Dale is meant to be played with full party creation, and at first, I thought I would just create my party and explore the first town.  Well, I ended up getting very addicted and, one month later, I've now completed Icewind Dale and both expansions (Heart of Winter and Trials of the Luremaster).  I played through the game on "Normal" (core AD&D rules) and it took just over 60 hours to get through it all.

It's much more linear than BG.  Instead of a mostly open world to explore as in BG, ID has you going from one dungeon to the next, while working out of a hub area.  Although I did miss the freedom of BG, ID was definitely less frustrating.  ID is thankfully free of the BG "trick" of having you walk upstairs and being immediately incinerated with fireballs and lightning bolts from multiple enemy magic users just waiting for you.  Instead, I found myself able to react naturally to combat as events occurred, and it felt very satisfying indeed to pause the action, make good use of spells/items, and win some very difficult encounters.

I can't say enough good things about this game.  It still looks and sounds great today, and the dungeons and combat are first class.  You explore everything from tiny caves to sprawling underground fortresses, and some of the large "dungeons" are nonlinear with multiple goals to accomplish in any order.  Combat, meanwhile, is mostly all designed and placed by hand, and enemy placement takes full advantage of terrain.  Very satisfying.

---

All in all, a fantastic game, and I enjoyed it even more than Baldur's Gate 1.  Highly recommended!

I played those game back when they launched (BG I and II, Icewind Dale, Torment) and I don't remember details for why, but I do remember that I like Icewind Dale quite a bit more than the BG games.

• Like 3

9)  Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes (Switch)

Wow... I haven't finished a modern game since July, it seems.   I made it to the final stages of this one, and stepped away for a bit, so I made myself pick it back up to finish it. 

Well, finished 1 of the 3 campaigns.   If you like the "warriors" games at all, this could be the best of them.  

• Like 3

This weekend, I finished a couple of games I've been slowly playing through over a long time:

Eschalon: Book I (PC)

This is a single-character RPG with turn-based combat taking place in a large world to explore.  The main quest is linear, but there are a lot of optional things you can do.  It's very simple by nature (there is only so much you can do with a single-character "party" and turn-based combat [excluding roguelikes of course]), but it's got a great world to explore and, surprisingly, there are multiple options to get through several quests (including the final battle).  I played as a pure mage, and the game took just under 17 hours to complete.  I didn't explore everything, but I did a lot.  It got somewhat tedious toward the end as a mage (your spells don't get more powerful as you level), so I'd probably play as a hybrid class for the other games in the trilogy.  Pretty fun.

Shadowrun Returns (PC)

I thought I might have trouble getting into this weird setting that combines cyperpunk and fantasy, but I ended up really liking this.  It's an extremely linear story with you going from one mission to the next, and feels more like a tactical RPG (ala Final Fantasy Tactics) than a pure RPG at times.  Having said that, you can select different dialog options based on your stats, so it has some RPG aspects.  It's also fun building your character as the game goes along, and it's always exciting to get enough "karma" points to bring one of your key skills to the next level.

This is a very short game, and I was able to complete it in only 10 hours.  There's some replayability here, as playing through the game with a different character build would be quite a different experience I think.  However, I probably won't replay this one, and instead will move on to the sequels, which are apparently much larger and much less linear.  Recommended.

• Like 1

10)  Bayonetta 2  (Switch)

This has been in my backlog for a long time (got it on WiiU, then bought it again for Switch) and all the hype for Bayonetta 3 gave me the motivation to play it.

It was ok, I guess.  Some of the gameplay was amazing, but the rest of the nonsense didn't always win me over. 

• Like 1

11) Blaster Master Zero 2 (Switch)

I LOVE part 1 of this series (which was a remake of the original NES game, one of my favorites) but for some I always quit playing this one after less than an hour.   This time, though, it stuck, and I finished about about 7 hours or so, as it's not a very long game.   Took me long enough to finally give it a proper shake, but overall, I think I may like this one a wee bit more than part 1.   

Hopefully part 3 will have a sale before I'm in the mood to play that one.

• Like 1

Lessee, it's been a long year so idk if I can remember all of it.

In terms of single player games I've played this year there was...

Kirby and the Forgotten Land, highly recommend it. Best game in the series I'd say.

Pokemon Shield, do not recommend it. Worst game in the series I'd say. [Campaign was weak and Zacian broke the competitive scene]

Pokemon Legends Arceus. REALLY good and I hope Scarlet/Violent use it as a template.

Splatoon 3, highly recommend it. I rushed the campaign to get the goodies though, I mostly play the multiplayer.

It's mostly been high scores and multiplayer type games for me this year. Makes me feel kinda bad looking back on it...I gotta get my single player on.

• 2 weeks later...

12) Tales of Arise (PS5)

Game was crap and I’m almost ashamed of myself for wasting nearly 50 hours on it.

Eh, this had so many ingredients that should have added up to a game that I loved, but really, it was built on such a garbage foundation of mindless button mashing with flashy graphic events pretending to be gameplay and too damn many cut scenes  and dialog (more than 30 in a row at one point near the end) from what seems to be a frustrated wannabe writer, that it smothered all the moments that started to feel great.

Maybe I’ll properly vent about it some day but for now, I’m just glad to be done with it.  It did have 2 main positives –

1)    It has a nice perceived value regarding playtime.  My run lasted about 50 hours, but it felt like 100.
2)    I’ve always had this “I should dive into the Tales series” thought lingering in my head.  So that’s fixed properly I reckon.   

Favorite quote near the end of the game --  “Alright, this is the end.  For real this time!”

That was followed by 2 more “this is the end!” quotes over the next 30 minutes or so while 2 characters had a duel to the death while giving monologues about forgiveness.

Then we saved the world by –

Spoiler

asking nicely

Yep.

• Like 1

13 )  Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising

I saw this on Gamepass and figured I’d give it a shot, and it turned out to be pretty much the perfect game for me, and easily one of my favorite that I’ve played all year.  

Reading about it now, it seems odd – it didn’t review well, it was developed as a “Kickstarter stretch goal” for an apparently much larger project, and is hailed as a spiritual successor to the Suikoden series, which I’ve never played, and developed by some of the same team as that series.

Ah well, this one managed to recapture that feeling of being a kid playing a 16 bit masterpiece that you just can’t put down.  So I’d love so find some more like that.

• Like 1

@Razzie.P

Have you played/completed Octopath Traveler?  I've only played it briefly so far (around 5 hours), but it was quite reminiscent of Final Fantasy III/VI on the SNES/SFC.  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is also very good, if you haven't played that.

If you are looking for something more action-based, the Ys series is good, though I think you've probably played those.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, newtmonkey said:

@Razzie.P

Have you played/completed Octopath Traveler?  I've only played it briefly so far (around 5 hours), but it was quite reminiscent of Final Fantasy III/VI on the SNES/SFC.  The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is also very good, if you haven't played that.

Yep, I picked up Octopath Traveler at launch and was hooked from beginning to end.  Loved it.  It was a LONG game, but it never felt like it overstayed its welcome.   Looking forward to the sequel.

Never played and of the Legend of Heroes games, though.  I do have Trails of Cold Steel 1 and 2 in my PS3 library, so I need to get motivated to try those soon.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 PM, newtmonkey said:

If you are looking for something more action-based, the Ys series is good, though I think you've probably played those.

Oh yeah!  I've played all the Ys games.  I think, if I had to commit to a single favorite gaming franchise, that would very likely be the one.  Also....   😁

image.thumb.png.c3f1374bb6d7df43aab367f95826efef.png

• Like 1

14)  Blaster Master Zero 3  (PC)

Finally got that sale I was waiting for, so I picked up the final part of this trilogy and loved it.   In many ways, the series got better with each release, but I still think part 1 is my favorite.   

If anyone is a fan of the original NES game, or Metroidvanias, or just looking for a "modern game that feels like an old favorite" I'd recommend checking these out.  

• Like 3

I was inspired by @Razzie.P above, and just completed:

Blaster Master Zero (PC)

This was really good!  At first I thought it might be a sequel or prequel to the NES game, but it's more like an expanded remake of that game.  I like that the graphics are sort of in between NES and SNES quality, almost like its running on a sort of "32X" addon for the NES. :)  The soundtrack was also quite good, though it pales in comparison to the NES original; I would have liked to hear some more remixes in here, like with the Area 1 track.

There are a ton of save points all over the place, so it was easy to just pop in and play for 15-30 minutes whenever I had some time.  It was overall very easy on the default starting difficulty, and took about 7.5 hours total to complete (with the real ending).  I don't think I'm interested in doing any of the stuff that unlocks after you beat the game, so I'll be moving on to BMZ2 probably early next year.

• Like 1