IGNORED

Modern Games you quit in 2022

Razzie.P

Dirt 5

Just wasn't feeling it.  Some of the cars were really difficult to control and I just wasn't interested enough to practice enough to "git gud".  I liked that it had James and Nolan from Donut (YT car channel), but after a bit, I was skipping past their dialog, too.  Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, NeonSpaceBeagle said:

Gran Turismo 7. And it sealed the deal that I'm going Xbox when I can easily purchase the series x.

Better late than never I guess. I jumped ship to Xbox back after playing the very first Forza game on the original Xbox. 
I bought into all the hype for GT4 on PS2. That was disappointing and then made the move… in retrospect maybe it wasn’t that much better of a game, maybe I just needed something new and fresh. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Resident Evil Village PS4

Just ended up being a slogfest. 

Went to give it a second chance got hit by the big where it tells you it's still downloading the data file even though game fully installed. 

Deleted and reinstalled the game, booted PS4 in Safe Mode and rebuilt the database. 

Nothing worked. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:49 AM, Razzie.P said:

Our “back in the day” experiences were quite different. ?

Very well could be different. Won't argue there.

I lived pretty far back in the sticks, so for me, “each cartridge release” was seeing it in a Sears catalog, ordering it, waiting a few days, calling the Sears pickup location to see if it was in yet, then trying to find someone willing to give me a ride to pick it up.  This was about a 2 hour trip.

My trips were bit closer to home. About a 30-45 minute ride depending where we went. And sometimes we'd take in two stores. There was usually a McDonald's stop involved. And sometimes a bookstore or planetarium(all day) stop too. Sometimes we shot off model rockets. It was all the other cool activities that buffed-up the cartridge buying experience. And they tended to be on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.. So as not to have the spectre of school and boredom of homework hanging over us. When they occurred mid-week I was endlessly inventive in playing hooky.

Took me about 2 weeks to finally get Golden Axe in my hands, and a LOT of walking the neighborhood seeing if anyone happens to be making the trip so I could bum a ride.

My area shoppes were close enuf to BMX to.

There was no appreciation there.  If given the option to just download it, the “physical cartridge buying ritual” could kiss my ass.

I continued buying retail till the end of the dotcom era. BigBox PC games. Then the stores started stocking only AAA games. Boorrriinng! No interesting stuff like Visions of Chaos, X-Plane, or astronomy stuff like RedShift and Starry Night. All that had to be mail order or DL online.

The physical cartridge ritual wasn't a ritual to us kids back then. It was an adventure to explore new games. It was the only way to do it then. Nowadays, and really anytime after the turn of the century, it's a burden. A time-consuming hassle that has long worn out its welcome.

I wouldn't mind buying new PC software in boxes from time to time and even make a trip for it. Maybe once or twice a year. But to do it regularly or with a mission for mass acquisition. Just no.

The other side of that was already being at the store and just buying based on the box art.  Well, and because those few titles on the shelf was all you had to choose from.  Again, no waxing poetic appreciation… just a case of “I has money…. You has game… let's trade.”

When it was my parent's money I didn't care. I was less than 12 anyways. When it was my money I was very careful about what I got. The box art was attractive and all. But I was careful enough to wait a while to be sure it wasn't an impulse buy. Just buying because buying and because on-shelf wasn't good enough. Screen shots and genre of game were major factors.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, cimerians said:

Just threw Earthlock into the abandoned graveyard.

A fitting name for the grindiest game ever, more than maybe Dragon Warrior. This game will age you 10 years. Stay away.

I uninstalled Outward: Definitive Edition after a few hours of playing.. got it on sale. What a waste of $20.. The YouTube reviews of it made it seem so good.. turns out the world feels so empty with nothing to do and way too much grind. I’ll be more careful next time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Modern Warfare II

Alone (Why put a stealth mission in an FPS and if you do, why is it such a mess? Why does every enemy know where I am when I kill someone? Why is there a damned achievement requiring a no gun run in a game where the object is to SHOOT PEOPLE!)

Quit the game, uninstalled it and took it back to gamefly. It's clear IW doesn't give a crap about the consumer. 

On 5/14/2022 at 6:07 PM, Zeptari1 said:

Better late than never I guess. I jumped ship to Xbox back after playing the very first Forza game on the original Xbox. 
I bought into all the hype for GT4 on PS2. That was disappointing and then made the move… in retrospect maybe it wasn’t that much better of a game, maybe I just needed something new and fresh. 

It takes a special kind of person to enjoy the license tests and driving those 4 cylinder K-cars, or reading through the biography of some obscure car most people have never heard of. I was/am one of those people, along with like three others apparently. always been a car enthusiast. unfortunately if you wanna sell a game that gamers like you have to have McLarens and Lambos, and I'm that weirdo who wants to drive his first "in real life" car (92 Grand Prix) around Nurburgring

Guess I can add the following to the "I quit" list --

Bug Fables 

Trek to Yumi

I kind of liked Bug Fables, as it felt like a Paper Mario knockoff, but just got bored and figured I'd come back to it at some point.  But then they took it off Gamepass, so guess that one's done.

Trek to Yumi was just a snorefest for me, so I quit to go to chores or something with no intention of coming back to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Off the top of my head:

The Last Of Us 2: It talked forever, then made me walk around somewhere really slowly, then stuck me into a zombie chase with all the interactivity of a Laser Disc game.

Resi Village: As above.

God Of War: Passable, if repetitive for a few hours, up until the boat bit, which killed the pace dead.

Observer: Great atmosphere, but these walking sims just aren't for me.

There's probably more. I need to trim my backlog severely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 11:22 AM, Parker77 said:

The Last Of Us 2: It talked forever, then made me walk around somewhere really slowly, then stuck me into a zombie chase with all the interactivity of a Laser Disc game.

God Of War: Passable, if repetitive for a few hours, up until the boat bit, which killed the pace dead.

Last 2: I agree, I'm not sure why they want us to play a movie rather than wanting us to play a video game. 

God of War: the intense action and arcade like game play is gone. The new God of War is an exploratory Tomb Raider clone that really drags and gets boring. IMO its a technological marvel but its just not as fun and the constant hoofing and paddling it around looking for stuff is exhausting. I hope that boat burns and never comes back.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Did we have a 2023 thread for this?  If not, I am resurrecting this to complain about Baldur's Gate 3.  

I spent about 4-5 hours playing in single player just to get my bearings.  I'm experienced at many different "classic" RPGs, and other computer tactical games, so the gameplay was not completely foreign.  However, I haven't really played an isometric RPG in quite a while.  KOTOR (if it counts) was probably the last one, so it has been a good long break.

Honestly, I am kind of understanding why the genre died.  Playing in multiplayer isn't helping, but there is soooo much time taken up by messing with little things that just shouldn't matter.  Why can't party member X climb the ladder and which character has the key for the door?  If I had already committed 50 hours to the single player then some of that would be easier, but the game is constantly filled with tactical situations where I just click the wrong thing and end up doing something other than I wanted.  "Oh as a rogue you have 2 sneaks, one is free and one is an action."  "If you right click the potion you can throw it, but if you left click you drink it."

The game seriously needs an undo button because making a simple mistake in the menus causes a lot of frustration.  A better autosave system would also help alleviate some of these problems.

Besides the genre, controls, menus, tactics whatever - there are times when the game just doesn't seem to have completely fleshed out the whole "Do or say anything you want" piece.  A simple interaction with some kids in the first village left me bewildered as to why some of my inventory items were gone.  I caught one of them pickpocketing me, but my human playing companions explained they pickpocketed me anyway.  Then why did the game tell me with multiple dialog options that I had caught them?  Another scenario where we are finding a druid prisoner caused us to reload 2x after we just couldn't predict what the dialog choices would result in or they were just ignored.  "Stay here" and he follow us anyway.

And the multiplayer . . .  It totally just feels tacked on to me.  There was no attempt to streamline the game down to accommodate multiple players.  We all do exactly the same thing as we would do in the single player campaign including camping, shopping, talking to companions.  I guess I am glad the multiplayer is there, but a few considerations here and there to save some time would have been appreciated.  IMO this has been a well known problem with multiplayer RPGs for decades.  Whenever you enter a situation where the game reverts to single player (like when you are supposed to walk around and talk for an hour or more), you should make a different choice for multiplayer.

Anyway, I think I'm ready to quit - at least in multiplayer.  I need to go through all the trial an error of actually learning the depth of the game by myself before I can really enjoy it.  I'll also end up skipping a ton of story or just breezing through it in multiplayer and that is (hopefully) one of the better parts of this game. . .

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wongojack said:

Anyway, I think I'm ready to quit - at least in multiplayer.  I need to go through all the trial an error of actually learning the depth of the game by myself before I can really enjoy it.  I'll also end up skipping a ton of story or just breezing through it in multiplayer and that is (hopefully) one of the better parts of this game. . .

Ok I will skip multiplayer entirely, I ended up quitting their first game Divinity 1, way too much management and tactical stuff but it had a lame story and endless fetch quests iirc. I love turned based games but not where it gets too overwhelmed with rules (like D&D 5e). Divinity 2 seemed like a huge improvement in terms of story and it seems the tactical stuff was streamlined but I didnt finish it cause I wanted to wait for BG3..

Quit:

Kotor 2 - because of a bug but also couldn't really get into it

Y's Origins - ok just lost interest

Daggerfall Unity - Great job but have zero time for old school Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall like games. 

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, cimerians said:

Ok I will skip multiplayer entirely, I ended up quitting their first game Divinity 1, way too much management and tactical stuff but it had a lame story and endless fetch quests iirc. I love turned based games but not where it gets too overwhelmed with rules (like D&D 5e). Divinity 2 seemed like a huge improvement in terms of story and it seems the tactical stuff was streamlined but I didnt finish it cause I wanted to wait for BG3..

Quit:

Y's Origins - ok just lost interest

Daggerfall Unity - Great job but have zero time for old school Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall like games. 

The problem with multiplayer is that you are never going to get through the game with someone who has the same experience with the story as you.  Someone will always have already seen the dialog or will have seen a slightly different version, so all players are going through a completely different experience with the story.  So, for my multiplayer game, I agreed that we'd speed past the companion conversations and save those for our single player games.  Sounds fine, but it also kinda means that I am just not really invested in much of what is happening.  I'm the one who wants to just move along and my other (more experienced) human companions are like "Oh, but I've never killed these a$$holes this way before."  Setting a few ground rules for multiplayer might help things, but I think the game would be better in single player first.  The problem with that is that this game is 50+ hours long.  How many times am I really going to play a 50 hour game in my lifetime.  I'm not old, but I'm still running out of years here.

All of that would be fine if the game interface and tactics didn't make me feel like I was constantly slowing my party down.  I'm always making a mistake, struggling with the camera, or just not knowing the right order to do things in.  That would all be fine if I controlled the save games and could save maniacally like I want, but even that needs to be negotiated when playing in multi.   <Sigh>

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cimerians said:

Quit:

KOTOR 2 is notoriously a buggy game. It was also released incomplete. It was one of those things where the first game was a smash hit, so they rushed out a sequel. I've beat it a couple times in my life, but nowhere near as many times as I've beaten the first one. Not only is it a better experience with less bugs and the game is complete, but the story is better too.

Games I quit? Geez, there are so many. I often play stuff for a while, then "take a break." Those breaks can last years. But, I'm not certain I quit them. As for ones I never plan to go back to:

God of War - I just couldn't get into that. The gameplay was "meh" and there wasn't much in the way of story. It's the first GOW game I tried and it will be the last.

Avian Knights - I thought that would be a modern take on Joust, but it was a letdown.

I think that's about it. As I said, I don't totally quit games very often, but sometimes it's necessary.

• Like 1