IGNORED

Pac-Land version in your location?

oo7

Pac-Land was released by Namco in Japan, Midway in America and Atari rest of the world.

Im curious what version people have bumped into in their life and where.

Im from Canada, however as a child we would visit Malta (europe) often. Back in the 80s there were very few arcade machines there. As a Canadian boy Arcade games were my obsession.

I first saw Pac-Land in Malta and cant recall which version it was. Mind you back then it could of been imported from anywhere. 

but it still makes me wonder what version is where.

on a side note i remember every game i had ever found there.

in the following order (Pac-Land, Shinobi, Empire City 1931, POW, Raiden)

maybe others but machines were few and far in between there. Empire City 1931 was in a place with a few machines but I remember having no interest in the rest so they were prob more like gambling games.

here back in Canada there was everything everywhere way too many to list.

Anyway, if you ever played pac-land tell me where! If you remember the version awesome!!

• Like 1

I saw the US version in (shocker) the US back in about 1988.  I remember it being next to a Robocop arcade game and it was one of the few times I ever saw it in the wild.  I played it more on the TG-16 than in the arcade.  In fact the TG-16 port is the only one I ever beat (on a Turbo Express!).   The version I saw had a regular joystick, no run buttons.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I saw the US version in (shocker) the US back in about 1988.  I remember it being next to a Robocop arcade game and it was one of the few times I ever saw it in the wild.  I played it more on the TG-16 than in the arcade.  In fact the TG-16 port is the only one I ever beat (on a Turbo Express!).   The version I saw had a regular joystick, no run buttons.

The one i played the most was the USA version in Canada but with the buttons, never beat it. I own the TG16 version, best home version based on the namco port.

other home versions i tried Atari ST used to own it and NES tried it. The NES one is horrible, the ST one was ok.

12 minutes ago, oo7 said:

The one i played the most was the USA version in Canada but with the buttons, never beat it. I own the TG16 version, best home version based on the namco port.

other home versions i tried Atari ST used to own it and NES tried it. The NES one is horrible, the ST one was ok.

Maybe it did have run buttons then and my memory is just faulty?  Either that or maybe it was a conversion job?

26 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Maybe it did have run buttons then and my memory is just faulty?  Either that or maybe it was a conversion job?

If it was a stick it was a conversion (which was common)

ive seen this alot in canada.

mind you in canada at one point it was common to see pirate arcade games in laundromats and convince stores. It was obvious when it was a game that was intended for another region.

• Like 1

Just about every Pac-Land machine I ever saw as a kid in Ireland was a bootleg.  The one exception to this that I can recall was at Dublin Airport, where it was an Atari version.

FWIW, the bootlegs seemed to be based on the Japanese version; the differences in graphics between it and the one at the airport were very noticeable.  At least one version used a joystick, and while I want to say that it was the Atari release, my memory's not 100% and I don't seem to be able to find a European flyer for it.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:43 PM, oo7 said:

No other pac-land love? Lol

I've had the pleasure of playing an original with just buttons here at a local arcade in the US. I love the music, such a catchy tune, and the Hanna Barbera cartoon I also have the 1st season on DVD. Always loved Pac-Land.

22 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

I've had the pleasure of playing an original with just buttons here at a local arcade in the US. I love the music, such a catchy tune, and the Hanna Barbera cartoon I also have the 1st season on DVD. Always loved Pac-Land.

There is a bally midway, namco and atari original with just buttons. Logically in the usa should be the bally one

On 1/31/2022 at 4:10 PM, GoldLeader said:

I'm not much help.  I just don't remember ever seeing it in arcades BITD.

I think it was like 85 or 86 when I spotted, snd i seen it a few times later at giant arcades that had EVERYTHING in the 90s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm sure I've seen a pic somewhere of a Midway Pac-Land with a joystick. Like an actual factory-installed one. 

Could it be possible that either a few joystick ones were made, or that there was some kind of obscure retrofit that Midway did, like how Nintendo used to AV mod NES top-loaders for anyone who complained to them?