IGNORED

Image shifted offscreen left

kheller2

I might be stuck with a Vectrex I purchased that was damaged during shipping.  On startup the image is shifted 60% to the left, then shifts to 50% and flips back and forth between the two.  When the game starts it tries to center on the screen but is tearing.  At first I thought it was the magnets having shifted (metal rings) but that seems to control more the height and width (which seems different from what I thought would happen).   The yolk isn’t loose so I don’t think it’s that, so I’m not sure if the pots need adjusting or what else to try.  The service manual is a bit thin in this area and mostly implies to fix it as if it were a b/w crt. 

I’ll need to get a test cart to really align this properly but wasn’t sure if this was simple or major given that the unit supposedly worked and was just packed horribly.  So bounced around a bit as USPS wasn’t the nicest with it.  

And the vertical spring on the joystick is broken too which looks like a bear to repair. 

Happily, I still have my personal Vectrex that works just fine.  

• 3 weeks later...

Well the unit was too out of whack to be repaired so I managed to get a refund on the unit.  Now, my personal vertex isn't working.  It was the power switch which a good shot of cleaner fixed up.  However, when it gets to the mine sweeper screen where the ship starts to lay down stars the screen turns off (so does the sound), then it flicks back on and picks up where it left off.  it's as if the entire thing pauses for a moment, blacks out, then continues. More fun!

On 1/31/2022 at 12:40 AM, kheller2 said:

Well the unit was too out of whack to be repaired so I managed to get a refund on the unit.  Now, my personal vertex isn't working.  It was the power switch which a good shot of cleaner fixed up.  However, when it gets to the mine sweeper screen where the ship starts to lay down stars the screen turns off (so does the sound), then it flicks back on and picks up where it left off.  it's as if the entire thing pauses for a moment, blacks out, then continues. More fun!

That could be the power switch. If one 'side' of it fails the logic board can keep running but the screen will go off. Although, I thought the sound would continue.

You could bypass the power switch temporarily to check if this is the case.

2 hours ago, minwah said:

That could be the power switch. If one 'side' of it fails the logic board can keep running but the screen will go off. Although, I thought the sound would continue.

You could bypass the power switch temporarily to check if this is the case.

Ah yes but carts work fine.  Even MS2  

On 2/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, kheller2 said:

Ah yes but carts work fine.  Even MS2  

Ah I didn't realise it was a problem in Mine Storm only. That is odd then. Sounds like it would be tricky to troubleshoot...or then again, if you've got Minestorm 2 on cart you could just not worry about it!