IGNORED

Season 20 Round 2 - Rollergames

asponge

Rollergames is up next on the menu.  A word of warning, if you don't make it through the first stage the score disappears very quickly after game over and never returns.  Make sure to take note of your score.  A screenshot is not required.  After the first stage the game gives the option to continue so you'll have more time to capture the final score.

1058080291_RollergamesCartridge.png.4182c49218426a85b726c85bb2dcc98d.png 2003243579_RollergamesScreenshot.png.7fa5bb6788cfbfbfb247d5f431434e5d.png

Game Rules:

No Continues

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday January 30 at 11:59 PM CST

AtariAge High Score:

None

Scores as of 1/30:

mbd39          60,900
fakecortex     41,400
Lauren Tyler   26,200
asponge        23,000
jblenkle        9,400
roadrunner      1,200

Season Standings:

Scoreboard.png.898da8b9d60e8ca9d3e6267f5534f395.png

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • Do not exploit game glitches, take advantage of 1-up loops or intentionally die in order to replay a level.
  • If "point pressing" is not specified in the game rules you should be moving forward in an attempt to complete/loop the game and not "camping" for points.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • Season points are awarded according to the following chart:
    1110848006_ScoreChart.png.e4e6c238b16cc1de0a8133d7d8dfa42d.png
  • Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:42 PM, asponge said:

Rollergames.png.bac0672345a8dc52a758c16f197670f3.png

Which team are you all using for this?  I've found the Rockers to be most comfortable so far.  The Advantage controller has also been a plus.  I don't know that I could play this without a joystick.

I only use Hot Flash. She's weak, but she's the quickest and the best at jumping.

Now I'm wondering if you can start a new game after beating the game and it will show your score in the HI-SCORE spot. I'll check this out later.

EDIT: Yes, you can start over from level one after beating the game and it keeps your high score. If you beat the game, get back to 1-2 and then game over to get the continue screen to get your score.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

I beat the game but to my disappointment didn't get a much higher score so not even going to post it. Honestly you're better off accidentally dying a in a lucrative level such as 5-1. When I beat the game I lost some lives where there were no enemies to increase my score.

• Sad 1

Another go with Hot Flash. Tried the others out for a min and was having better success with jumps with HF. Time to read the manual. Lots of Ninja Turtles vibes from this one, obviously. Stage 2 has some malarkey going on, so I practiced a bit to beat that before I eventually try again from the beginning for a new score. Have yet to try with the Advantage, might help with crackedy highway...

Rollergames - 17,700 Stage 2

502C6718-9434-4539-BB00-79A613493E3C.thumb.jpeg.45119eee3f40dc0a4ce060e8c22d277f.jpeg

10 hours ago, asponge said:

I was trying to get through that stage tonight myself and just couldn't get to the end.  Nice job!

Which part gives you trouble? BTW, Hot Flash is good for this stage because she's fast and jumps far.

Ramps might be a problem. Wait until you're up the ramp and then jump.

For that one particularly long pit, you just need enough momentum.

Avoid hitting any barrels near a pit because you can't jump for a moment after taking damage.

For the lasers right before the boss, keep jumping over them but don't mash the button. There's a rhythm to it. Jump as soon as you land from the previous jump. You should be able to not get hit at all.

For the boss at the end you can't damage it. Just stay at the bottom of the screen and jump over the fire that occasionally lines up with you until the stage ends.

BTW, the platforming gets much more BS starting in 3-2. And level 4 is an even harder version of this stage.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this game, tough as nails, and can see myself wanting to play through it...the regular, infinite continues way. But as a high score competition, I’m not so good. Mainly bc unless you can make it through the levels, you can end up with a higher score by losing early. That’s what happened here- I died a few times on the first stage, which had me inadvertently rack up points. Whereas when I get through on one life and the lose on stage 2, my score is lower. Of course the fix here is just keep beating the stages without a game over, lol. So, I’d like to break the default high of 20k, but ??‍♂️

Ro-Ro-Rollergames!! - 19,000

33F41E66-05CD-49C1-9C93-F2D8A1B5B41E.thumb.jpeg.908bf947eac7d15fd25031413b776b4e.jpeg 

8 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Which part gives you trouble? BTW, Hot Flash is good for this stage because she's fast and jumps far.

Some of the jumps feel like you have to hit them just right or they're too wide to get over.  Otherwise, it's the part with the lasers.  I can usually make it there without too much of a problem but that section trips me up every time.  The next time I play I'll try out Hot Flash and see if that makes a difference.

On 1/21/2022 at 11:42 PM, asponge said:

The Advantage controller has also been a plus.  I don't know that I could play this without a joystick.

I meant to say, I tried using the Advantage and I suuuuucked. I'd like to find some games that I excel at with the joystick; so far Ms. Pac-Man that we played a while back, *chef's kiss*