IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) - Welcome and Games List

WELCOME TO SEASON 19 OF THE 8-BIT ATARI HIGH SCORE CLUB (Jan 2022) :waving: :party:

All you do is suggest games to play, vote for games to play, play games to play, and repeat!

Any questions or need any help just post, it's a friendly competition and more of a chance to explore some of the great games with a mixture of old and new and even some hidden gems, yes there are still some out there ;-)

Screenshots optional, emulator players welcome.

Join in please EVERYONE! All abilities welcome!

First round poll starting after I've typed this, then we'll start the play at the weekend (Sat Jan 22nd) or as soon as we have a clear winner in the poll.

p.s. Everything can be found pinned on the 8-bit HSC forum

• Like 1

I'll get things started with a cut and paste from my last seasons list!

H.E.R.O
Henry's House
YOOMP!

Manic Miner

Great Escape

Skool Daze

Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee ROTF (if it gets released!)

Blinky's Scary School

RGB

Hobgoblin and hopefully Hobgoblin 2

Edited by McKong
  • Like 2

Here's my list of suggestions:

1. Round About (Datamost) - a very fun shooter, similarities to Gyruss or Galaga, but with some twists
  2. Captain Cosmo (Nexa Corporation) - difficulty ramps well on this one, not really sure of anything else it compares to
  3. Chicken (Synapse Software) - would be fun to do a paddle games round: Avalanche (APX), Sneakers (Sirius), Kaboom (Activision), other?
  4. Pondering About Max's (Change In Heat) - impressive action puzzler, has it been played in HSC before?
  5. Salmon Run (ATX) - classic arcade-style action
  6. Shadow World (Synapse Software) - requires OSB, fun sidescrolling shooter
  7. Whirlinurd (US Gold) - multi-level action puzzler from one of the Boulder Dash guys
  8. Star League Baseball (Gamestar) - not sure how well this could be adapted to HSC play, maybe most runs scored against the "Heat - Sluggers" (most difficult) computer team?

I also second @carlsson for Airball - have always wanted to give this one a serious go. Also H.E.R.O. mentioned by a couple of others - love that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, graywest said:

Here's my list of suggestions: [above]

Some nice suggestions and commentary graywest :thumbsup: 3 - yes to paddles games we have one on the first poll! 4 - we did play POM before not sure why it's not in the ratings and records, I seem to have missed a few (Bug Attack also). 5 - sports games always make a fun round, we can figure out something SLB is an amusing one :thumbsup:

Pondering about Max is very tricky, possibly the toghest game ever to be played in the HSC!  I think it was Dope and myself who managed to figure out a few screens. The original game came with some superb artwork and possibly a vinyl record which both gave clues. If anyone has anything please share here?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlsson said:

I only got a single Coleco Gemini controller, so if we're playing paddle based games I hope it is one that uses the right paddle. :)

A good time to get a set [EVERYONE then we can play more of them as they are fun], fairly cheap, usually fairly wobbly anyway and can be tinkered with to make them just wobbly! If that's only paddle (1) you can use it on paddle games that are 2 player, providing player 1 can be killed off!

This time I'm simply going to dump a list from my faves folder (more or less).  Sorted alphabetically, except the game I want to play the most, which is ...

H.E.R.O.

Alpha Shield
Beach Head 
Blue Max
Boulder Dash
Bounty Bob Strikes Back!
Bristles
Bruce Lee
C'est la Vie
Canyon Climber
Castle Hassle
Castles and Keys
Conan
Cosmic Ark
Cosmic Tunnels
Drelbs
E.T. Phone Home
Electrician
Encounter!
Fast Eddie
Final Legacy
Flip and Flop
Fort Apocalypse
Frostbite 400
Ghostbusters
Goonies
Great American Cross Country Road Race
Gremlins [5200]
Hazard Run
Hot Lips
Jet Boot Jack [OSB]
Journey to the Planets
Jumpman Junior
Jumpman
Kennedy Approach
Koronis Rift
Last Starfighter
Lode Runner
M.U.L.E. [XL]
Master of the Lamps
Miner 2049er
Montezuma's Revenge
Moon Shuttle
Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory
N.Y.C. - The Big Apple
Necromancer
O'Riley's Mine
Ollie's Follies
Pharaoh's Curse
Pitstop
Preppie!
Prince of Persia
Quasimodo
Rainbow Walker
Realm of Impossibility
River Raid
Sea Dragon
Seafox
Serpentine
Seven Cities of Gold
Slime
Snokie
Special Delivery
Spelunker

Star Raiders
T.G.I.F.
Trailblazer
Twerps
Wavy Navy
Yoomp!
Zenji
Zeppelin
Zone Ranger
Zorro

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

Great American Cross Country Road Race

Prince of Persia
Special Delivery

Those three games were played between November 2021 and January 2022. While all those have their merits, surely it would feel a bit early to replay them again this year?

Also we have an ongoing HSC challenge in M.U.L.E. which runs separately from the main one.

Edited by carlsson

On 1/17/2022 at 12:18 PM, therealbountybob said:

Pondering about Max is very tricky, possibly the toghest game ever to be played in the HSC!  I think it was Dope and myself who managed to figure out a few screens. The original game came with some superb artwork and possibly a vinyl record which both gave clues. If anyone has anything please share here?

I think I made it to the fourth level at one point, playing it on my own, but yes, it's very difficult and it took me weeks to get even that far. And now I've completely forgotten what I once knew, because that was years ago...

There has been one complete copy of Pondering About Max's available on Ebay for a couple of years now. The only copy I have ever seen. The packaging and artwork look amazing - I imagine that it was a total labor of love for the guy who programmed the game and put all this stuff together. And he probably made these by hand and sold a few dozen copies via magazine ads. Not much demand for Atari 8-bit games in the US in 1990.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265480441633?hash=item3dcfde0f21:g:520AAOSwyvlfY81r

Wish I had a spare $600 USD to spend on something like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deteacher said:

Winter Olympics

Do you mean the game from Tynesoft 1987 or actually Winter Olympiad '88 also from Tynesoft, a.k.a. Winter Challenge from Thunder Mountain? We went through all the multi-sport winter games in February 2018 in time for the last Olympic games.

Since I'm logging every single minute of playing video games, I can see from my personal stats that over the course of the last 8.5 years, my list of most played winter sports games on the Atari 8-bit have been:

1. Olympic Skier - 599 min.
2. Mogul Maniac - 185 min.
3. White Circus - 172 min.
4. Ski-It - 83 min.
5. Winter Events - 75 min.
6. Winter Olympics - 62 min.
7. Winter Olympiad '88 - 30 min.
8. Nordic Ski - 5 min.

with a disclaimer that I may have overlooked some game with an unusual name.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 3:16 PM, carlsson said:

Do you mean the game from Tynesoft 1987 or actually Winter Olympiad '88 also from Tynesoft, a.k.a. Winter Challenge from Thunder Mountain? We went through all the multi-sport winter games in February 2018 in time for the last Olympic games.

Actually, I was thinking about Winter Games by Epyx...totally forgetting that WG wasn't released on the Atari 8-bit.  Nevermind...scratch that one off my list.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Although it left a few things to deserve, I enjoyed White Circus as a reasonable substitute for Winter Games. I suppose the first round of the HSC will run between circa January 23 - February 6 unless we open the season with an extra long round. It would mean we're in time for an Olympic Games round as Beijing 2022 runs between February 4 - 20.

We might run White Circus, Ski-It, Winter Events, Winter Olympics and Winter Olympiad '88 in that second round. How about that planning @therealbountybob?

• Like 1

Probably I'll add in a few classics and new games to the polls as we go but here are a few ideas:

Vanguard

Gumball

Tank Commander

Blue Max 2001 (new to HSC)

Arex

Pooyan perhaps

probably due a Miner 2049'er or a Mr Robot of some sort!

Lunar Leaper

Threshold

Axis Assassin (new to HSC I think)

Other 'hi-res'/ mono games e.g. Repton (not played)

Beam Rider

Conan the Barbarian

Tris

Drol

Bosconian

Atari Blast! cart only but we can have it as a bonus again perhaps

Fatum and Guard - Those couple of Polish shooters we played back in HSC9

Panther

Ninja Commando

Scooter

Ollie's Follies

Maybe another bash at a couple of my games, Ski-It is in the first poll, Ramp Rage or Space Fortress Omega

Possible tournament rounds:

Paddles games

Submarine games

Tetris games

BASIC games

;)

Edited by therealbountybob
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Now that Inufuto supports Atari, in a few weeks or months we should try some of those - a few are quite playable.

Edit: 8 games now available, definitely material for at least a poll option.

Edit II: I managed to convert 6 of the ROMs to XEX (still need to figure out how to handle 8K and 32K ROMs) so I could try them on real hardware. Perhaps after all these games are better on lesser capable computers like VIC-20 and MC-10 than on the A8 which supports so much more advanced graphics. But some of them probably can fit as bonus games.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm going with games that I own that we haven't played yet this year. I know some of these have been played in recent years, but there's always a chance they might spark interest again in a new season. Here they are in the order that they appear in my stereo cabinet drawer.

Preppie

Preppie II

Maniac Miner (not the same as Manic Miner)

Jawbreaker

Crossfire

Canyon Climber

Star League Baseball

Jumpman Junior

Adventure II XE

Montezuma's Revenge

King Tuts Tomb

Joust

Frogger

Galaxian

Basketball

Star Raiders

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2022 at 6:18 PM, therealbountybob said:

I think it was Dope and myself who managed to figure out a few screens. 

Lovely times. Solving some of those screens was as fun as cleaning face with a sandpaper. Still, we figured it out after some serious struggle. :)

• Like 1