IGNORED

Newer cartridge titles known to not work on the ADAM

Tekman

I’m starting this thread because some of the developers are selling CV cartridge titles that don’t work with the ADAM and then goes ignored if you say it doesn’t work or ask the simple question if a new title will work with the ADAM before purchasing.

With that said, I would like everyone to help compile a list in this thread of known newer cartridge titles that do not work on the ADAM in hopes to save future buyers the disappointment when a title doesn’t work on the ADAM and can’t get the answers they need.

This is NOT meant to bash anyone, so please don’t take it that way. I’m simply looking out for the best interest of ADAM users and also letting developers be aware that titles need to be tested in the ADAM as well before selling a product. It seems like a simple test to perform, but isn’t so simple to get answers about it and find that discouraging.

I also recently asked in the new Zombie Calavera / Plants Vs. Zombies thread if they work in the ADAM, and like I just explained, it went ignored. I hope we can all make this change!

Known cartridge titles that don’t work on the ADAM:

Suite Macabre (Collectorvision) (2020) - confirmed with two standalone ADAMs w/ SGM modules (a workaround is to dump the ROM and run it from an Atarimax Ultimate SD)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Suite Macabre also has issues with some normal Colecovision systems. I've got two with one being all stock still and the other that has the TMS-RGB and +5 RAM upgrade in it. Suite Macabre does NOT work in my RGB/+5 RAM upgraded CV but does in my other stock CV. I need to test it with another CV I just installed the TMS-RGB into to see if it works and then go about trying to isolate.

4 hours ago, Tekman said:

I’m starting this thread because some of the developers are selling CV cartridge titles that don’t work with the ADAM and then goes ignored if you say it doesn’t work or ask the simple question if a new title will work with the ADAM before purchasing.

With that said, I would like everyone to help compile a list in this thread of known newer cartridge titles that do not work on the ADAM in hopes to save future buyers the disappointment when a title doesn’t work on the ADAM and can’t get the answers they need.

This is NOT meant to bash anyone, so please don’t take it that way. I’m simply looking out for the best interest of ADAM users and also letting developers be aware that titles need to be tested in the ADAM as well before selling a product. It seems like a simple test to perform, but isn’t so simple to get answers about it and find that discouraging.

I also recently asked in the new Zombie Calavera / Plants Vs. Zombies thread if they work in the ADAM, and like I just explained, it went ignored. I hope we can all make this change!

Suite Macabre (Collectorvision) (2020) - confirmed with two standalone ADAMs w/ SGM modules (a workaround is to dump the ROM and run it from an Atarimax Ultimate SD)

Thank you for starting this thread. As an ADAM user, and as someone who did not use an actual ColecoVision until about 25 years after I first used an ADAM, I would not want to buy a game that does not work in my ADAM.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:55 PM, Tekman said:

i have both zombie calavera and plants vs zombie and they both work on the adam

suite macabre is a no go for me 

r-type its a no go... i can make it work by removing the cart start the coleco mode than when the turn game off page is on insert the cart the game will start... i know i should not doing it... but it work for r type but not for suite macabre.... best option  atarimax sd... there is multiple adam version mine play sgm game with out sgm...  

• Like 2

I can understand that some or even most ColecoVision programmers don't own an ADAM, so it will be impossible for them to ensure compatibility with the ADAM. As we know all to well, testing the rom successfully using an ADAM emulator such as ADAMem, MESS, CoolCV or ColEm does not guarantee that the final cartridge version will work on the ADAM.

Seeing as J-F and Toby do own ADAM Computers, it would seem simple enough for them to test, but that all depends on other factors like the timing of the whole process such as when the box, manual and label are created and when everything is sent to the printers to be mass produced. I think this is why CollectorVision has been using the "For ColecoVision" info bar on the box more of late so they can avoid any issues that could arise if a game does not work on the ADAM.

Thankfully for most ADAM owners, they own a ColecoVision as well or at the very least a Phoenix... but that's not the ideal solution.

As far a game that I recall that doesn't work properly on the ADAM in cartridge form BUT does work on the ADAM as a rom dump using the AtariMax Ultimate SD Cart... the 2021 CollectorVision Club Secret Game - the Arcade game conversion.

Another CV I just finished adding RGB to also will not get past the 3rd screen in Suite Macabre. Does the same thing that it does on my main CV. This one only has the RGB added to it and is still using stock vram. So it doesn't appear that the +5 ram upgrade is the issue. I can't see how the TMS-RGB would be the cause so I'm going with the fact that there are some revisions of the CV that Suite Macabre just does NOT work with.

This current CV I just finished up that will not get past the 3rd screen in Suite Macabre is a Rev E. My daily driver is a Rev H. That there is something with those two versions it seems.

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another CV I just finished adding RGB to also will not get past the 3rd screen in Suite Macabre. Does the same thing that it does on my main CV. This one only has the RGB added to it and is still using stock vram. So it doesn't appear that the +5 ram upgrade is the issue. I can't see how the TMS-RGB would be the cause so I'm going with the fact that there are some revisions of the CV that Suite Macabre just does NOT work with.

This current CV I just finished up that will not get past the 3rd screen in Suite Macabre is a Rev E. My daily driver is a Rev H. That there is something with those two versions it seems.

Have all the ones you tested on and failed been modified Colecovision’s? Is there a chance that there is an issue where the mod draws more power then a stock unit? I know this is usually more of a thing with handhelds and flash cartridges but just throwing out an idea.

13 hours ago, NIAD said:

I can understand that some or even most ColecoVision programmers don't own an ADAM, so it will be impossible for them to ensure compatibility with the ADAM.

Thankfully for most ADAM owners, they own a ColecoVision as well or at the very least a Phoenix... but that's not the ideal solution.

I don't buy that they couldn't be tested. Surely a release candidate cartridge could have easily been beta tested by an ADAM user as part of official testing. This also doesn't explain why they go silent and don't offer any explanation when titles don't work.

I only own a standalone ADAM and no CV.

There also isn't a disclaimer that anything might not be compatible with the ADAM on these websites. Until companies fully test their products or actively answer questions, threads like this need to exist to help people get the answers they otherwise wouldn't get from these companies.

Current list so far:

Suite Macabre (Collectorvision) (2020) - confirmed with two standalone ADAMs w/ SGM modules (workaround is to dump the ROM and run it from an Atarimax Ultimate SD)

R-Type (Team Pixelboy)

2021 CollectorVision Club Secret Game - the Arcade game conversion (workaround is to dump the ROM and run it from an Atarimax Ultimate SD)

2 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

Have all the ones you tested on and failed been modified Colecovision’s? Is there a chance that there is an issue where the mod draws more power then a stock unit? I know this is usually more of a thing with handhelds and flash cartridges but just throwing out an idea.

So far yes that is the case. My main daily driver CV also has issues with Risky Rick still even after correcting for the missing ground on pin 13. This last one I did has the TMS-RGB installed and a composite board to provide that as well. My stock system only has as replacement power switch but is otherwise all stock.

Through the RGB output, when you get to screen 3 on the game, it produces a screeen full of graphic corruption everywhere and essentially locks up. Through composite and RF outputs, it will go to a black screen and you still hear music playing but it still essentially locked up and you have to reset the console.

So yes, that is the main thing right now is something with these having the RGB installed. But since all of the power regulation comes from the power supply and not within the console, I have actually tested this using my ColUSB, and OEM working PSU, my 1080P "noise generator" PSU, and my recently gotten Keelog PSU. The same thing happens on all of those. So I don't think it is a power issue.

• Like 2

My copy of Suite Macabre also does NOT work on a stock Rev J CV I just had come in the other day. It actually does something very odd with that console when I try and play it. On the first and second screens, when I've moved halfway across the screen, it will blink out and I will find myself on a different screen that is just the checkerboard floor and I'm on the right hand side. If I move further off screen to the right, then I will end up briefly on the far right of the 1st screen and then be on the second screen. But if I move left on that strange screen for a bit, then it will blink out and I will be at the halfway point on the 1st screen. I'm essentially able to move in and out of this odd screen at will. 

It will also do this on the second screen as well once I've gotten to it. But as soon as I walk onto the 3rd screen, it will go black screen and I can hear some music. But the console is locked up at that point.

So that is like 4 CVs I've tested my copy of the game on and it only seems to work properly on 1 of them. The Rev J. I sent back to its owner this afternoon so I can't do any further testing with it aside from what I mentioned above.