IGNORED

Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard in $67 billion deal

Albert

9 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

I think this is the play they're making. Huge stable of content, long tail of service-subscriptions to dribble it out to customers. Games and entertainment have changed a lot and buying a disc to play a game hasn't exactly worked in the old record-store way for a while now. 

Hopefully there will still be plenty of room for smaller studios to innovate and create, despite this consolidation. 

Also, Candy Crush and World of Warcraft under the same roof! What could POSSIBLY go wrong. 

LIST: Here’s every Activision Blizzard IP Xbox now owns, including Crash Bandicoot and Guitar Hero | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

400 million users actively playing their games right now! GamePass only has 25 million. So MS gets

• The Content (highlights are C.O.D, WoW, and CandyCrush)
  • The Customers (did I mention it is 400 million!)

Plus Zork of course

• Like 2

I could see this going pretty bad for Sony Playstation owners alone.  MS obviously has PC with Windows, so steam should be fine though you'll get co-releases on their MS store for WIn10/11 and same with the battle.net servers and that too.  MS will see some solid increases in potential exclusives on the console side where Sony won't get a thing, they have no reason to finance the competition.  Nintendo shouldn't have a problem, they're not seen as a competitor and it's sort of its own gaming ecosystem anyway.  Sony is probably reeling at the possibilities of how they could royally screw their hardware sales over if MS pulls the rug out on console ports so they can help push more xbox/pc copies of games over playstation.

5 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Creating monopoly power is never good for the consumer. Especially with Gamepass and the death of physical media.

I almost jumped on the Gamepass wagon. But do I really need access to so many games? Not really, getting older and spending less time gaming. Plus they'll suck ya in for the $15 a month deal now. And before you know it It'll be twice that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I could see this going pretty bad for Sony Playstation owners alone.  MS obviously has PC with Windows, so steam should be fine though you'll get co-releases on their MS store for WIn10/11 and same with the battle.net servers and that too.  MS will see some solid increases in potential exclusives on the console side where Sony won't get a thing, they have no reason to finance the competition.  Nintendo shouldn't have a problem, they're not seen as a competitor and it's sort of its own gaming ecosystem anyway.  Sony is probably reeling at the possibilities of how they could royally screw their hardware sales over if MS pulls the rug out on console ports so they can help push more xbox/pc copies of games over playstation.

I'd think that Sony would love nothing more than for Microsoft to pull all ABK releases from the PlayStation platform without delay. They'd pass up billions in revenue by doing so, the fan backlash would be brutal, and it's not like they could achieve anything in terms of Series X adoption when they can barely keep up with the demand as it is.

Rather, they're almost certainly just going to play this like they did with the Bethesda acquisition, where anything cross-platform stayed that way and they even released a console exclusive for the PS5 in the shape of Returnal.

Only when we're into the next development cycle, will they start making things Xbox/Windows exclusive. However, I could still see them making the likes of CoD and Overwatch for the PlayStation for similar reasons to why they've kept Minecraft cross-platform. The money's still good, and it's not like they'll ever convince an entrenched player base to switch.

• Like 3

All that’s left for them to eat up is EA right? In terms of big NA publishers.

I noticed Sony is busy with embracing PC mainly because of the mass amount of PC streamers, competitive play etc. but I also think they realize there is money to be made, they opened up their gaming store on Steam about a year or two back and just released God of War on Steam and it plays very very well. I also tried their formerly exclusive game Horizon Zero Dawn and it also played pretty much flawlessly, in fact these games perform better than the PS4 versions imo. 

Im sort of glad they bought Activision/Bliz...one because they need to dump Kotick at some point in a dumpster fire (not sure if they have yet) and the other is they have been sitting on old IP for damn years without doing anything with it (EA is the worst though).

So yeah I damn well want a Zork remake.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd think that Sony would love nothing more than for Microsoft to pull all ABK releases from the PlayStation platform without delay. They'd pass up billions in revenue by doing so, the fan backlash would be brutal, and it's not like they could achieve anything in terms of Series X adoption when they can barely keep up with the demand as it is.

Rather, they're almost certainly just going to play this like they did with the Bethesda acquisition, where anything cross-platform stayed that way and they even released a console exclusive for the PS5 in the shape of Returnal.

Only when we're into the next development cycle, will they start making things Xbox/Windows exclusive. However, I could still see them making the likes of CoD and Overwatch for the PlayStation for similar reasons to why they've kept Minecraft cross-platform. The money's still good, and it's not like they'll ever convince an entrenched player base to switch.

This is very much along my lines of thinking

We won't see the Xbox/Windows exclusivity really bite until the next generation of consoles. 

The PlayStation 5 user base is simply too large to ignore and your not going to see a mass exodus anytime soon based on news like this. 

The other aspect will be one of questioning just how long it is before MS starts putting up the cost of Gamepass and by how much ?

As a consumer, we need strong and healthy competition and innovation in the market place, but Sony don't have the funds to make acquisitions anywhere near the scale of MS. 

Concerning times indeed. 

This is not about console exclusivity.

Think about this like online deliveries for TV and movies.  There is an arms race to get the content on your platform Marvel -> Disney; DC -> HBO.  This is the start of those moves for video games.  If Sony wants to be a platform for delivery then they will need content.  If they aren't part of these big moves then there are plenty of companies that will want to compete with Microsoft.  Amazon, Apple, Netflix or somebody else will get in.

6 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

This is very much along my lines of thinking

We won't see the Xbox/Windows exclusivity really bite until the next generation of consoles. 

The PlayStation 5 user base is simply too large to ignore and your not going to see a mass exodus anytime soon based on news like this. 

The other aspect will be one of questioning just how long it is before MS starts putting up the cost of Gamepass and by how much ?

As a consumer, we need strong and healthy competition and innovation in the market place, but Sony don't have the funds to make acquisitions anywhere near the scale of MS. 

Concerning times indeed. 

7 hours ago, Lostdragon said:

Concerning times indeed. 

They don´t need to buy the IP to offer (exclusive) games. They can just offer royalties. Still, my uninformed opinion is that Sony is not sufficiently prioritizing cloud gaming, and will lose out when cloud gaming takes over.

In the long run, I think Amazon Luna will become the dominant cloud service. Amazon is a very competent company.

16 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

I almost jumped on the Gamepass wagon. But do I really need access to so many games? Not really, getting older and spending less time gaming. Plus they'll suck ya in for the $15 a month deal now. And before you know it It'll be twice that. 

Same here,  I don't buy a new game every single month as I tend to play existing games.   When I do get a new game I usually get it on sale.  

I calculated I would actually pay more with a Gamepass or EA Access because they get their money every month no matter what I play or don't play.   I already have a backlog of games, so even if I gained access to the Gamepass or EA games, there's no guarantee I would play them, and chances are I wouldn't for more than a few min to check it out, if that.

I also think these subscription services are not good for consumers long run,  since the companies get paid no matter what they produce, it will encourage cost-cutting in development and lower quality games eventually

Edited by zzip

14 hours ago, Matt_B said:

A deal that probably existed before the acquisition

14 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I don't think MS is really playing the exclusive game anymore.   Their actions over the past 5 years suggest that they see "Xbox" as a brand rather than a specific hardware platform.   I think right now they want to sell as much Gamepass as they can for the recurring revenue, regardless of platform.  Xbox hardware is not really a moneymaker.

14 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

That was probably the reason they bought it. 

$67 billion for Zork,  with Zork II and III thrown in as freebies.   What a steal!

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

When I wrote what I did I wasn't talking about taking the executioners axe this year.  I'm thinking when they start doing 1/2 system life console upgrades into the next.  At that rate if they're smart largely they'll make those gems not show up on playstation because it will allow for a clean break to buying their hardware without too many hurt feelings about having an excluded console as if you did it now.  When a new generation or half generation cycle hits, that's when you put that into action.  Cut them off cold, or halfsies, kind of like how the Wii being underpowered SD vs HD(PS3/XB360) they got spinoffs and side story stuff, last years stuff, watered down, whatever.  Make it clear if you want the primo stuff, you buy the system of who owns the IP, and if you choose to get the other, you're making that a choice.  Now that wouldn't be a choice but a forced moved set to tick off people well beyond system specific fanboy buyers only.

1 hour ago, cimerians said:

I think Activision also owns Sierra and whatever else I wouldn't mind another rerelease of Tribes. It's mind boggling, if they pick up EA in the future they'll own everything, pretty much.

Maybe, but this deal is going to have to 'bake in the oven' for a few months.  That could give time for another shark in the water to gobble up EA.  

How about Take Two (Rockstar)?  I'm sure Microsoft (or someone) would pay huge $$ for that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zzip said:

A deal that probably existed before the acquisition

I certainly don't think Microsoft would have gone out of their way to publish a PlayStation exclusive. It's just that their acquisition of Bethesda wasn't enough to kill it, despite it being on a competing platform, and the same will go for anything already in the pipeline from Activision.

7 hours ago, zzip said:

I don't think MS is really playing the exclusive game anymore.   Their actions over the past 5 years suggest that they see "Xbox" as a brand rather than a specific hardware platform.   I think right now they want to sell as much Gamepass as they can for the recurring revenue, regardless of platform.  Xbox hardware is not really a moneymaker.

I'd think that they are playing the exclusive game but Xbox is morphing into a platform that's more software than hardware. I.e. as well as the console, you can get the games for the Xbox app on PC or play them on the Cloud. Very few games Microsoft makes come out on platforms that they don't hold the keys to and it's mostly either older titles or IP from a recent acquisition that makes less sense to turn exclusive.

By the same token, you can play a good chunk of Sony's catalogue on your phone or PC these days with a PS Now subscription. It's just streaming only, the library isn't quite so comprehensive as the Game Pass one, and they don't add the new games on day one. After the forthcoming revamp they might get closer to parity though.

The one thing you can't do is play their games on each other's consoles, at least not without some hacks that tend to get circumvented in short order. So long as you've got a PC in the living room it's all good though. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wongojack said:

Maybe, but this deal is going to have to 'bake in the oven' for a few months.  That could give time for another shark in the water to gobble up EA.  

How about Take Two (Rockstar)?  I'm sure Microsoft (or someone) would pay huge $$ for that.

Oh yeah forgot about Take Two which has Rockstar and 2k. Soooo...two more conquests and they own it all. I'll never count Japans giants they would rather make pachinko machines than join the empire. Oh wait....

Check this out:   :D

image.thumb.png.4b14a19f4f97865a41f2eae0af17236b.png

Edited by cimerians
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Matt_B said:

I'd think that they are playing the exclusive game but Xbox is morphing into a platform that's more software than hardware. I.e. as well as the console, you can get the games for the Xbox app on PC or play them on the Cloud. Very few games Microsoft makes come out on platforms that they don't hold the keys to and it's mostly either older titles or IP from a recent acquisition that makes less sense to turn exclusive.

By the same token, you can play a good chunk of Sony's catalogue on your phone or PC these days with a PS Now subscription. It's just streaming only, the library isn't quite so comprehensive as the Game Pass one, and they don't add the new games on day one. After the forthcoming revamp they might get closer to parity though.

The one thing you can't do is play their games on each other's consoles, at least not without some hacks that tend to get circumvented in short order. So long as you've got a PC in the living room it's all good though. ?

I think you know this, but it sounds like you are saying GamePass is on XBox and PC while Sony is on your phone.  GamePass is available for Android both download and streaming.  It was available for iPhone in the beta stage and worked fine, but Apple stopped it.

1 minute ago, wongojack said:

I think you know this, but it sounds like you are saying GamePass is on XBox and PC while Sony is on your phone.  GamePass is available for Android both download and streaming.  It was available for iPhone in the beta stage and worked fine, but Apple stopped it.

I know you can stream Game Pass games to Android, but I'm pretty sure you can't download them for offline play. Perhaps you're confusing the ability to remotely download them to a console?

That's not much of an issue, as there are very few native ports of the ones on the service anyway, but it'd be a nice addition at some point in the future as phones and tablets become more capable.

• Like 1