IGNORED

New FujiNet Flasher Tool - Testers Needed

mozzwald

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

does this new flasher wipe out the old one? as in it removes or deletes it?

On Windows 11 I had to manually remove the old one.  The new flasher doesn't come with a traditional Windows installer app, so I don't see how installing the new flasher would remove the old one.

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

does this new flasher wipe out the old one? as in it removes or deletes it?

The new flasher (just like the old flasher) wipes the contents of the FujiNet before installing the new firmware.

The new flasher does absolutely nothing to the old flasher program. There is no installer, it's just an executable program. As mentioned in the update thread, the old flasher will stop working in the near future due to the firmware files being removed from the server, but the old flasher will still run as a program.

If you have a legitimate concern about continuing to use the old flasher I'm all ears, but it's really pointless from my perspective. The old flasher gives you exactly one choice of firmware. If I left the files for the old flasher on the server you would be stuck on that firmware forever. The new flash tool allows multiple versions so you can actually go back to an old one if you want.

to be clear, is it that the older flasher will remain and the older update files will still exist so one can still roll back to the older firmware... We are only going to need the new flasher for newer firmware?

New flasher appears to be 117mb~118mb with everything, correct. Since the laptops I use for retro work have limited space and are older it is a concern.

Oh wait your removing the firmware forever? that's beyond strange, why not leave them as a zip archive or something...

I guess we better get them while we can...

Edited by _The Doctor__

8 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

to be clear, is it that the older flasher will remain and the older update files will still exist so one can still roll back to the older firmware... We are only going to need the new flasher for newer firmware?

Oh wait your removing the firmware forever? that's beyond strange, why not leave them as a zip archive or something...

I guess we better get them while we can...

If you would give the new flasher a try, you would see that the firmware currently available in the old flasher is (has been since day 1) available in the new flasher (0.5.f8cc4292). You'll also see newer versions and a backported SIO2BT firmware in the new flasher for those who use BlueTooth.

Yes, I will be removing the old flasher apps and the old flasher firmware files from the server. There is no need for duplicates of the same firmware.

New flasher appears to be 117mb~118mb with everything, correct. Since the laptops I use for retro work have limited space and are older it is a concern.

The size of the Linux flasher has increased from 102M to 113M which is not very much at all, IMO.

I'm not sure why you are pearl-clutching over the old flash tool. The new one is the same code with additional features to give you the ability that you are asking for: staying with or reverting back to old firmware.

Can I still run this on my Intel 386 with 256MB of RAM and Windows 3.1?  Sorry couldn't resist the joke :rolling:

I will be trying your latest greatest this afternoon on my Linux box. And as always I'm sure it will be fantastic and easy to use.

Thanks for the great work all you guys do on FujiNet :)

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

If only it only there was some consistency. I used the older versions just before the sio2bt issues and the re issue... it delivered smooth serial port flow in and out.... the other versions not so much... so if that's retro fujinet then more of that please...but, that said... it doesn't seem matter as any slight critique isn't taken well and is met with ridicule.

Maybe it's best to just forget it like so many have, put this one in a drawer and join that club.... I gave away the first one, thought I'd give it another try. My mistake.

As to the other quips,- if windows 7, windows 8.1, windows 10, and linux aren't good enough then wtf... just create new profiles, or clean installs or this or that workaround is tiresome. It doesn't seem to be the case for mostly anything else. Something has lost it's way, and that's fine. I had high hopes, and that's my fault.

Edited by _The Doctor__

Well... Hmm... all I can say is that for tech that the authors have freely given away - made no money from that I am aware of - it is simply amazing and extremely generous for all that they do.

BTW, I just loaded the FujiNet-Flasher Linux x64 from the download page, and it fired up first thing without any issues that I can see. I still need to connect my FujiNet and give it a flash latter today, but so far so good ?

I'm running this on...

10 year old Lenovo All-In-One Desktop

Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon on an Intel Core I5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHZ x 2

16GB RAM

1TB Samsung SSD

NVIDIA GF108M Built-in Graphics Chip

Definitely not a new machine ;)

Updated yes, running with more memory and a newer type drive, but basically still a decade old machine other than those two updated items.

Edited by mytek
added link
  • Like 2

The tech isn't free, it was purchased from the creator originally... so it was built and sold by the originator. I didn't want to have the blame the vendor dance. It's all good now that I'm done with it for a second time. I can check back in, give it a few more years... it's been years already. Other choices exist, and I guess the better route will be to test out the emulated fujinet via sio2pc type cords...  In the drawer it goes, trying to help with the one I gave away became a headache. I want to enjoy the hobby, no big deal if this isn't it.

I was one of it's supporters at the start. So ends the chapter. I only wrote in response at this point, if no more is said... I wont bother in the thread any further.

Edited by _The Doctor__

I used the older versions just before the sio2bt issues and the re issue... it delivered smooth serial port flow in and out.... the other versions not so much...

Sounds to me like you have an issue with the firmware and not the flasher. If that's the case, please explain (in a new thread topic or in a github issue). I don't know what you mean by "smooth serial port flow in and out" and this is the first I've heard of it.

If there is a specific firmware version that worked good for you and you would like to continue using it, you can. Tell me what version you want, I'll build it and add it to the list in new flasher. I can only offer this option to you now with the new flasher. Additionally, I can provide you with a ZIP file of the firmware and you can flash it from the command line:

./FujiNet-Flasher /path/to/firmware.zip

On 3/3/2022 at 10:44 PM, mozzwald said:

If you have a legitimate concern about continuing to use the old flasher I'm all ears

it doesn't seem matter as any slight critique isn't taken well and is met with ridicule

@_The Doctor__ I asked you to raise your concerns about using the old flasher I have I have yet to get a clear and concise explanation of the issues you have related to the flash tool. Please forgive my snarky comments. It's frustrating to put work into this only to be met with unsupported complaints. Maybe I'm dense or missed something so please to clearly explain your reasoning to continue using the old flash tool.

The tech isn't free, it was purchased from the creator originally... so it was built and sold by the originator.

This really doesn't make much sense to me, unless you are talking about actual hardware. To be clear when I said "tech" I was referring to the firmware and software programs, as well as the hardware schematics for FujiNet. To my knowledge this was always done in an open source kind of way. @Mr Robot and I both used this to create daughter boards for the 576NUC+ that gave it FujiNet capabilities. There were a few technical improvements made to the design that varied from what the FN team had come up with, but in the end yielded similar results - I also published my schematics and gerbers. The firmware that gets used in the NUC FujiNet hardware is the same as used for regular FujiNet and unless I'm mistaken that is given away for free, including the means to flash it to the target. if I'm wrong about that, then I guess I'm in a world of trouble and better get the check book out ;)

So who is this person or persons you call the creator?

• Like 1

I installed the New FN Flasher on two different systems, both of which were running Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon. And executed a flash of the new firmware from each to the same board, after first verifying functionality. And it just works!

Very nice and easy to understand layout with the new drop down selections for system and firmware version.

1244363095_Screenshotfrom2022-03-0512-37-37.thumb.png.0e05f8d167ce9d31d4fdaa124828e859.png

FN_Update.thumb.JPG.696992971a493d7b1af20ec6700c0d67.JPG

I'll have to go check out the Coleco world to see what they think.

Great job @mozzwald

Edited by mytek
  • Thanks 3

I just wanted to say that, as a new Fujinet owner, the firmware update on my M1 MacBook Air on macOS Monterey was a non-event. I had to scroll up to make sure the Fujinet was flashed successfully since the log output pushed the "success" message off the screen. It was sitting on the NTP message for a minute or so until I decided to scroll up to see if the update was done.

I simply plugged in the micro USB cable, the flasher program found the serial port of the Fujinet (without having to load any additional software as described as a possibility on the download page, and clicked the "Flash Fujinet Firmware" button. No drama. Nice.

@mozzwald - Since this update appeared to change the (firmware?) partitioning and didn't seem to have end-user changes, I wasn't sure if the upgrade was necessary in order to do future firmware updates or whether the partitioning changes would be in the future firmware upgrades as well.

Anyway, well done.

Bob C

• Like 3

7 hours ago, darwinmac said:

Since this update appeared to change the (firmware?) partitioning and didn't seem to have end-user changes, I wasn't sure if the upgrade was necessary in order to do future firmware updates or whether the partitioning changes would be in the future firmware upgrades as well.

Going forward, all updates will have the new partition layout. Flashing an older firmware will use the old layout.

7 hours ago, darwinmac said:

I simply plugged in the micro USB cable, the flasher program found the serial port of the Fujinet (without having to load any additional software as described as a possibility on the download page, and clicked the "Flash Fujinet Firmware" button. No drama. Nice.

Awesome! I'm glad Apple has the drivers already installed.

I just d/l'd and tried to unpack the flash tool. My antivirus says it's infected?   The file C:\Users\chevy\Documents\FujiNet-Flasher.exe is infected with Gen:Variant.Tedy.91623 and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean.

Edit: discovered my antivirus doesn't like non commercial programs. Disabled and had no trouble flashing fujinet.

Edited by chevymad

• 4 months later...

I'm very late to this, but I downloaded the current x86_64 Linux flasher from fujinet.online (unless I'm very mistaken and the flasher in the first post of this thread is not yet being offered on the official website), and it does not run on my system (Fedora Linux 36). It produces this terminal output:

GLib-GIO-Message: 21:30:14.186: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(FujiNet-Flasher:66024): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 21:30:14.186: Settings schema 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings' does not contain a key named 'antialiasing'
Trace/breakpoint trap (core dumped)

Additionally, I checked the systemd journal for coredump messages and found two of them for each attempted run. I've attached the messages printed by coredumpctl for one such pair here (one of the files is very long).

fedora-fujinet1.txt fedora-fujinet2.txt

Edited by TheHoboInYourRoom
Covering my bases

25 minutes ago, TheHoboInYourRoom said:

I'm very late to this, but I downloaded the current x86_64 Linux flasher from fujinet.online, and it does not run on my system (Fedora Linux 36).

Can you try the flasher for Ubuntu 21.10 and see if it works?

https://fujinet.online/firmware/FujiNet-Flasher/FujiNet-Flasher_Ubuntu-21.10.tar.bz2

• Like 1