IGNORED

Nice collection of SID "real" songs available somewhere?

eightbit

I have the high voltage SID collection which is vast and awesome, but sometimes I like to just hear some SID renditions of actual songs like Beatles, Billy Joel, Zepplin, Queen, The Who, etc.

I know a lot of these are mixed into this monster of a collection, but I really have a hard time finding them! Years ago (many) my friends father used to have a large compilation of "real" songs all nice and categorized by artist (by the artist that created the song originally...like a beatles folder..etc etc). I hate to call them "real" as I do not want to disrespect the excellent SID artists out there that have created their own unique compilations as those are "real" too, but you know what I mean I think.

Does a SID compilation like that exist somewhere?

7 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Does a SID compilation like that exist somewhere?

Look for the Q-Link SID collections, for sure.  I have a couple of disks of SIDs I downloaded before Q-Link was taken down.

Also, check out the COMPUTE! Gazette's SID Collection

http://www.c64music.co.uk/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OLD CS1 said:

Look for the Q-Link SID collections, for sure.  I have a couple of disks of SIDs I downloaded before Q-Link was taken down.

Also, check out the COMPUTE! Gazette's SID Collection

http://www.c64music.co.uk/

Thanks. I am sure that is what my friends dad was downloading at the time. I was a Q-Link member and downloaded quite a bit back then but those collections are lost. And my friends dad...he's gone too :(

I'll look for those SID collections, thanks!

Just now, eightbit said:

I was a Q-Link member and downloaded quite a bit back then but those collections are lost. And my friends dad...he's gone too :(

Sadly, many of my Q-Link friends have passed.  Most of the crowd with which I hung around was older folks.  Not much, 10 to 20 years, but that difference makes more and more of a difference as time goes on.  I lost contact with everyone who was of my age group, some purposefully as we were involved in the less savory side of technology at the time.

Sadly, Q-Link Reloaded did not attract any of my old friends.

Many do I miss those days. It was something really special. A somewhat "secret" world that only existed for people in the know. Same with the local DDial I regularly chatted in and the select BBS's I was a member of....and the one I ran too. When everything became "internet for the masses" some magic was certainly lost.

2 minutes ago, eightbit said:

Many do I miss those days. It was something really special. A somewhat "secret" world that only existed for people in the know. Same with the local DDial I regularly chatted in and the select BBS's I was a member of....and the one I ran too. When everything became "internet for the masses" some magic was certainly lost.

With the over-corporatization of the Internet and social spaces, perhaps the time is near for a resurgence and remergence of such places.

• Like 1