IGNORED

Collectorvision Phoenix or equivalent??

bwestdpm

Found out too late about this project and it looks like they are no longer taking orders. Really want something like this to play my old cartridges. I have a modded system by Yokie and that is very nice but still parts wear out. Anybody know if there’s any way to get one still or if anything similar is out there??? Thanks guys!

• Sad 1

CollectorVision is considering another run, but no official announcement has been made.

Other options are to pay what will be extremely inflated prices when someone sells a unit on eBay or other site or, and I hate to say this, if Coleco.com still has any stock of units available for sale, but it’s more important that you find one so I’ll put that bit of info out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NIAD said:

CollectorVision is considering another run, but no official announcement has been made.

Other options are to pay what will be extremely inflated prices when someone sells a unit on eBay or other site or, and I hate to say this, if Coleco.com still has any stock of units available for sale, but it’s more important that you find one so I’ll put that bit of info out there.

One literally just sold on eBay earlier today. $556.99

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, cvga said:

One literally just sold on eBay earlier today. $556.99

Reminds me of a phrase from the CV game Squish’Em Sam… Money! Money! Money!

It’s hard not to consider flipping the unit that I bought when you see what they sell for, but then again I only bought the one.

I do have a modded console that is great but I don’t use it much for fear of the thing finally dying. My son is old enough now where would just love to site there for hours reliving these old games I always kept and not worry about killing the vintage unit which I’m more into preserving 

this Phoenix seemed like just what I wanted to enjoy without worry and I’m not much into emulation on the computer…just something about using those cartridges

I know it probably sounds stupid haha

• Like 1

14 hours ago, akator said:

You could always go the MiSTer FPGA route and play not only ColecoVision and 2600 but dozens of other consoles and computers.

The collectorvision phoenix can also use the original controllers, driving controler, roller controller and original cartridges. It's really more like those retron devices.

I'm sure the MISTer is great too but the human game interface is an important part of the experience.

Also you can use an original atari joystick to play the atari games on it. I love the original atari joystick. Megamania is hard to play without it.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2022 at 1:11 PM, digress said:

The collectorvision phoenix can also use the original controllers, driving controler, roller controller and original cartridges. It's really more like those retron devices.

I'm sure the MISTer is great too but the human game interface is an important part of the experience.

Also you can use an original atari joystick to play the atari games on it. I love the original atari joystick. Megamania is hard to play without it.

I agree, sometimes it's really nice to play with original controllers.  Fortunately there are what seems like a million USB adapters for original controllers out there.  I've tested several just for fun but I'm using the 2600dapterD9 for 9-pin controllers and it has worked great on the MiSTer.

The only thing missing from this experience is the cartridges.  Personally I love not swapping carts and just choosing a game from a menu, that's why I've already added SD carts / mutlicarts to all of my classic hardware so it doesn't bother me at all that the MiSTer doesn't have cartridges.

• Like 1

I’m perfectly happy with my Pheonix console. I bought it from a fellow AA member well below the cost of retail. It plays legacy Coleco cartridges fine, and all of my homebrew games work too. There’s also an SDCard slot to play ROMs, if you’re into that sort of thing. I suggest posting a WTB (Want to Buy) thread in the ‘Wanted’ section (located by the For Sale forum). 

Who knows, someone here might be willing to part with their Pheonix at a reasonable price.