IGNORED

Features in up-coming 8bit-Unity 0.5

8bit-Dude

With the new release of 8bit-Unity 0.5 just around a corner, I am going to post here some news about features.
To start with, I made a special effort to improve the "point'n'click" tech demo called 8bit-Goblin.
Here is a list of major improvements:
- Scripting engine now based on simple "text" files.
- Added animation paths (motion coordinates and frames).
- Added new targets: Atari 400/800, and NES/Famicom.
This updated Tech Demo in 8bit-Unity 0.5 contains everything for you to get writing a point'n'click game!!!
For more info, check out: http://8bit-unity.com/?page_id=358

goblin-disks.PNG

Edited by 8bit-Dude
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

@8bit-Dude  nice project/work btw. (Been meaning to say that for quite a while now).:D

I saw your Goblin title last yer when I first heard about the project and was very intrigued.:)

Point and click titles are one of the genres the A8 could really do with having more of IMHO, especially mouse and joypad controlled ones. (Mouse in particular for me - it's such an underused control method on A8 and obviously perfect for point and click adventures). We have some excellent games from the 90's like The Curse, and a new (almost completed(?)) eagerly anticipated Polish team coded game called "Asteroida, the cause of life's troubles...that is"  (great title btw). :lust:  The latter AFAIK is based on Ilmenit's Adventure studio point and click adventure creator engine. (Ilmenit of Rastaconverter fame)

Anyways - great work. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, xxl said:

Excellent application for the ZX0 compressor ?

Indeed! I will make a full disclaimer in the release notes of all the tools/bits of codes that I have integrated, and all the people who are supporting this project!

As a technical note here, it is worth noting that Exomizer is used to compress everything (binaries/bitmaps) except for the Atari XEX files. The way CC65 generates binaries for the Atari means that blocks of memory are re-used several times in a staging process. Exomizer is not able to cope with that.

Happily, Chris (XXL) came to the rescue with a ZX0 decompressor that integrates with xBios. That really makes a big difference with how much data can be packed onto a single disk!

• Like 3

Here is some technical information on how the engine works
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The game only requires to create a couple of bitmaps and text file for each screen. For example:

Base bitmap:
scene01.png

Animation bitmap:
scene01.png

Script file: scene01.txt

A python script compiles the text and produces a navigation file (together with a summary image)

Navigation summary:
scene01.png

So it is very easy to get started!

• Like 2