IGNORED

3200 MHz compatible memory for the Atari VCS - READ THIS BEFORE PURCHASING!

Tidus79001

On 5/10/2022 at 1:26 PM, Justin42 said:

Has anyone done any checking if the compatibility issues are related to dual-rank vs single-rank RAM? I know the common Crucial set is a no-go, but the commonly mentioned and slightly cheaper set is CT2K16G4SFRA32A which is not guaranteed to be either single or dual rank. Theoretically dual rank would be better performance, but is usually a bit more expensive. 

There is Crucial CT2K16G4SFD832A which is specced on their webpage to be dual rank and I can't find if anyone's tried it. (it's also quite pricey) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q7T9NSC?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1 

Ok, to follow up on my own question, I bought the CT2K16G4SFD832A and it is not working at 3200mhz. However, it DOES boot the system and run fine with RAM settings at AUTO/2400mhz, so at this point I think I will just keep it and use it, before Amazon bans me for buying every type of RAM trying to find a magic set that actually works. ;) This is better than the recommended Team Group 32GB RAM in this thread which I could not make boot the VCS at all. 

I would rather have 32GB than 16GB so I did not try any of the recommended 16GB sets.

I was tempted to mess around with the additional RAM Timing settings in the BIOS besides just memory clock (I assume the VCS BIOS just doesn't know how to handle these modules) but honestly, just testing it for 3200 was a bit of a nightmare and took a few re-installs of the RAM and finally a battery pull to reset the settings before it'd allow me to get back to AUTO/2400mhz for the RAM. (Even after reinstalling the original 8GB RAM modules it just did the high fan/black screen thing no matter how many times I pulled AC).

So, some people have said the CT2K16G4SFRA32A set does not work at all, but at least (For now, with the modules I bought) CT2K16G4SFD832A functions, but don't try to go to 3200mhz.

Edited by Justin42

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well hello. 

I've purchased the exact Teamgroup ram mentioned here, but no dice. Loud fan and no boot at all. I've tried the default speed, 3200Mhz, both settings have the same problem. Even with the default ram, it can take me 2 or 3 reinserts before it'll boot. Is it possible there's a setting in the bios or can change, or maybe the teamgroup ram is bad, or maybe even my VCS unit. Not really sure how to troubleshoot any further. 

16 hours ago, Xerrah said:

Well hello. 

I've purchased the exact Teamgroup ram mentioned here, but no dice. Loud fan and no boot at all. I've tried the default speed, 3200Mhz, both settings have the same problem. Even with the default ram, it can take me 2 or 3 reinserts before it'll boot. Is it possible there's a setting in the bios or can change, or maybe the teamgroup ram is bad, or maybe even my VCS unit. Not really sure how to troubleshoot any further. 

I've just noticed that despite ordering TED432G3200C22DC-S01 from amazon, I have received TED432G3200C22DC-SBK. 

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings all,

Based on the OP's video and instructions, I installed the TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB kit in my VCS and the memory is being recognized by Windows 10 (I have Windows running on an internal SSD).  The only problem I have is trying to override the memory clock speed.  If I set the clock speed to 1600 MHz as shown in the video, the system fails to boot with a black screen.  My BIOS doesn't have an option for 3200 MHz on the clock speed menu, so I'm not sure if 1600 MHz is the correct setting.  Any ideas?  I was able to allocate 8GB to the GPU, and this is also recognized in Windows.  

Can someone provide insight on what the correct memory clock speed should be?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/20/2022 at 1:05 AM, RetroGamer8537 said:

Greetings all,

Based on the OP's video and instructions, I installed the TEAMGROUP Elite DDR4 32GB kit in my VCS and the memory is being recognized by Windows 10 (I have Windows running on an internal SSD).  The only problem I have is trying to override the memory clock speed.  If I set the clock speed to 1600 MHz as shown in the video, the system fails to boot with a black screen.  My BIOS doesn't have an option for 3200 MHz on the clock speed menu, so I'm not sure if 1600 MHz is the correct setting.  Any ideas?  I was able to allocate 8GB to the GPU, and this is also recognized in Windows.  

Can someone provide insight on what the correct memory clock speed should be?

Thanks!

Its double data rate, so 1600MHz is the correct setting for 3200MHz. It very likely won't work with your ram though because the team elite ram modules have changed from dual rank to single rank. The single rank modules won't work at 3200mhz on the VCS (if the last 3 characters are SBK on the stick itself, you're out of luck. If it says S01, you should be fine. Note that the packaging says S01 regardless, you you need to check the module itself) 

I purchased the teamgroup Zeus 3200mhz, it seems to work fine at 3200mhz. TTZD416G3200HC16F-SBK, though it says TTZD416G3200HC16F-S01 on the packaging. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

I installed  two TED416G3200C22DC-S01... working fine at 2400mhz. But overclocking to 3200mhz doesn't start the VCS and the fan is loud ;( 

Does anyone try to overclock between 2400mhz and 3200mhz with a positive result?

Is it beneficial to allocate more than 8GB to GPU?

Thanks!!!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 8:33 AM, marss said:

Hi.

I installed  two TED416G3200C22DC-S01... working fine at 2400mhz. But overclocking to 3200mhz doesn't start the VCS and the fan is loud ;( 

Does anyone try to overclock between 2400mhz and 3200mhz with a positive result?

Is it beneficial to allocate more than 8GB to GPU?

Thanks!!!

I and several others have Atari VCS owners have the Teamgroup TED432G3200C22DC-S01 and they are working at 3200 MHz.  I hope that what you are experiencing doesn't mean that Teamgroup has changed component in their chips like G.Skill did with the RipJaws F4-3200C22D-32GRS (selling it at the same specs, model and UPC but not the same) and now is not longer the same product that it was.

On 6/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, marss said:

Have you tested the Teamgroup TTZD416G3200HC16F-S01 and confirmed that it will work at 3200 MHz in the Atari VCS?  The Atari VCS is very finicky about which memory that it will work with at 3200 MHz speeds.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Trabera said:

Jumping in on this topic a couple months late. About to upgrade my VCS with 32Gb or RAM and wanted to see if there was any updates with brands/chipsets that are working/not working.

Can't speak for other brands but Atari uses Kingston RAM in the VCS.  Personally I would stick with that as it's most likely to work without any hiccups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

who here has recently upgraded there ram?. im currently looking at 32GB @ 3200Mhz ram but I hear some are a hit and miss with what is working rumor is parts supplied has changed.

Crucial = some work
G.Skill = some work
Team Elite group = some work

Kingston Fury confirmed working on this Atari vcs discord but its a bit pricy

Kingston FURY Impact 32GB (2 x 16GB) 260-pin SO-DIMM DDR4 3200 MHz CL20 Black Memory (KF432S20IBK2/32)

I'm wondering if anything has changed in the latest bios/firmware updates to support more ram??
does anyone know if ram voltages and CAS latency is also a factor???

If I change the memory speed in the BIOS and it doesnt work do I need to remove one of my memory boards in order to get back into the BIOS to change the speed back or can one do that without removing anything?  Id like to test my memory at 3200 but dont want to go through the hassle of disassembling in order to get it back running.

I don't know specifically about the VCS, but in general if the BIOS settings need to be reset, you have to find the reset pins or remove the battery. The VCS has a battery on the bottom, which I'm guessing may need to be removed to reset BIOS.

Do you have 3200 ram?

2 hours ago, crash said:

I don't know specifically about the VCS, but in general if the BIOS settings need to be reset, you have to find the reset pins or remove the battery. The VCS has a battery on the bottom, which I'm guessing may need to be removed to reset BIOS.

Do you have 3200 ram?

I do but didnt change the BIOS to 3200 cause I didnt want to take the unit apart.

If the BIOS is reset does it go back to the original firmware - aka, default password, etc....?