IGNORED

3200 MHz compatible memory for the Atari VCS - READ THIS BEFORE PURCHASING!

Tidus79001

I used this one from dec 24 FYI!! if you choose to update the bios from this file provided by Davpa you previous bios password WILL BE OVER written!!!  not to worry the password to get in is Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$ and you will have to change your password again."https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qOw4WkVODxT2SZcH3sTdO3G_n56QkW5b/view"

I'm pretty sure that passwords have to be kept in a different non-volatile memory so that they cannot be easily erased by clearing CMOS or removing the battery. This would mean that if you have cleared or changed the password, it should never return.

The VCS design and BIOS are not standard, but they are similar enough to other PCs that I would guess the battery on the bottom is a CMOS settings battery; however you would have to disassemble the whole thing to get at that battery.

I am not sure about the VCS, but in general, the BIOS firmware itself doesn't require a battery, but the CMOS settings for the BIOS are retained by the battery. Most any motherboard I have used will still operate with a dead or missing battery and with the last BIOS flashed to them, but they will lose customizations to settings, with the exception of the passwords.

Cheers

22 hours ago, digitalbilly said:

if you choose to update the bios from this file provided by Davpa you previous bios password WILL BE OVER written!!!  not to worry the password to get in is Atar!C3l3br8te$50Ye4r$ and you will have to change your password again."https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qOw4WkVODxT2SZcH3sTdO3G_n56QkW5b/view"

Oh, so it sounds like the BIOS password is part of the OS flash image(?)

Cheers

On 1/4/2023 at 2:33 AM, crash said:

I'm using this kit:

Series ‎Corsair Vengeance SODIMM
Item model number ‎CMSX32GX4M2A3200C22

RAM ‎32 GB SO-DIMM
Memory Speed ‎3200 MHz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GSTF5NJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am sending this kit back since Windows crashes if I have this ram installed in the VCS, even though AtariOS does not crash with it installed.

• Sad 1

• 10 months later...

I bought the Team Group 2x16GB that everyone was saying would work about 2 years ago. It does not work and it is the exact model specified not the SBK type from Amazon.  I bought this from Newegg.  So everyone that has bought Team Group must have beat them to the punch of reducing the chip quality.  I am thinking of purchasing the Kingston Fury KF432S20IBK2/32. Has anyone had success with this model besides the one single poster.  No one has commented as well on the Team Group Zeus model as well.  The one specified was a 16GB single module.  Does this work and can be purchased in a 32GB kit??

20 hours ago, Falcon060 said:

I bought the Team Group 2x16GB that everyone was saying would work about 2 years ago. It does not work and it is the exact model specified not the SBK type from Amazon.  I bought this from Newegg.  So everyone that has bought Team Group must have beat them to the punch of reducing the chip quality.  I am thinking of purchasing the Kingston Fury KF432S20IBK2/32. Has anyone had success with this model besides the one single poster.  No one has commented as well on the Team Group Zeus model as well.  The one specified was a 16GB single module.  Does this work and can be purchased in a 32GB kit??

I can't speak for any of the other RAM brands, but the official RAM used in the VCS is Kingston and I have not heard anyone having any issues with any of those.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Falcon060 said:

@Tidus79001 and anyone else who might know:

I just purchased the Team Group 2x16GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T17RQ87 from Amazon. It is as the pictures show: 2 modules of TED416G3200C22-SBK. My VCS runs with it. I went into BIOS setup under "Setup Utility" -> "AMD CBS" -> "UMC Common Options" -> "DDR4 Common Options" -> "DRAM Timing Configurations"

Overclock -> changed to Enable

Memory Clock Speed -> changed to 1600MHz

I didn't change any other setting. (All the other settings are defaulted to AUTO.) Is this all I have to do to run at 3200MHz for the dram?

Under "Main" "System Memory Speed" shows as "3200 MT/s" and the VCS does run. I have no idea if the CPU is really using the DRAM at 3200 though.

Well after debating it for a few days I went ahead and bought the following from Newegg.com.  I am VERY HAPPY to report that I am a member of the 3200 club.  I have OVERCLOCKED the VCS as much as I can including the CPU to 54 TDP and so far only set the GPU memory to 8GB and of course the MEMORY is set to 3200 instead of 2400.  It makes a bit of a difference and glad to see it working.  I have 1TB SSD WD Blue drive with WINDOWS 10 on it and I stress tested both the CPU and GPU for an HOUR each and they never missed a beat.  The memory I went with is the Kingston FURY model number KF432S201BK2/32.  Yes I have 32GB in case anyone was wondering.  The model number signifies that on the end with the 32.  It is a 32GB kit of (2x16GB).  DDR4 3200MT/s with CL20-22-22 1.2V.  UPC Code is 7 40617 31838 8   I hope this is enough information to help others out and hopefully everyone will have as good results as I had.  Never once missed a beat and is rock solid with the OC settings.  Now to turn it into my Amiga/Retrogaming rig.

1 hour ago, john_q_atari said:

Where/how does one set video memory to 8GB?

That is a bad move right there.  Should be 4GB MAX!  Any more than that and you are going to confuse the VEGA 3 portion of the APU and make the allocated VRAM slower due to too much being accessible.  I don't think you can go over 6GB anyway.

Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2023 at 10:34 PM, john_q_atari said:

@Tidus79001 and anyone else who might know:

I just purchased the Team Group 2x16GB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T17RQ87 from Amazon. It is as the pictures show: 2 modules of TED416G3200C22-SBK. My VCS runs with it. I went into BIOS setup under "Setup Utility" -> "AMD CBS" -> "UMC Common Options" -> "DDR4 Common Options" -> "DRAM Timing Configurations"

Overclock -> changed to Enable

Memory Clock Speed -> changed to 1600MHz

I didn't change any other setting. (All the other settings are defaulted to AUTO.) Is this all I have to do to run at 3200MHz for the dram?

Under "Main" "System Memory Speed" shows as "3200 MT/s" and the VCS does run. I have no idea if the CPU is really using the DRAM at 3200 though.

@john_q_atari yes, that is it.  If it boot after setting it and doesn't go to fans running on full speed and not booting after saving the BIOS changes then all is working.  You can verify the speed under the Memory tab on the Task Manager in Windows if you an installation setup for have PC mode.

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 4:50 PM, Falcon060 said:

It has 4, 6, 8 and 16GB options.  I set mine to 8 and performance was a little better than in the video.  Not sure where u r getting your information from??  But performance was not hit.

My apologies, setting the VRAM to a higher allocation will not hurt graphics performance, but it won't help it either.  The APU cannot recognize any more than 4GB of VRAM.  So if you set it higher you are just taking RAM away from other operations.  

This was posted today by one of the game developers in the Atari VCS Discord.  It has been stated by others previously as well.

"More ram won't change performance. The embedded GPU can't use it or access it. It maxes out at 4GB."

I was also looking on Discord for other confirmation of this statement, but perhaps my Google-Fu is weak.  Or I'm just lazy and not going to go through 15 pages of RAM mentions...