IGNORED

Resolutions not being displayed correctly

Dasutin

I've been going through testing a few screen sizes.  If I create a 320x240 image, the top, and bottom image are cut off in emulation. The image is also shifted over to the left leaving a black bar on the right. The black bar on the right only shows up with 320x240. So far I've tried 320x240, 352x250, and 350x240 images.  I set the appropriate areas in code to reflect the size of the image and all have some part of the image cut off.  I can't find a size that leaves me with square pixels and correctly fills the screen. Even the "pack_c" example has the sides cut off in emulation when using 352x250. 

Any ideas of what the right resolution to use to have the image correctly fill the screen? Is it the fault of the emulator? I've tried Virtual Jaguar and Phoenix. Both emulators give different results. 

• 2 weeks later...

240 high will be too tall for NTSC which is normally 200.

To get more pixels across you need to reduce the time a pixel is on screen. I had fun with DinoDudes if you look at the screen shots and compare that to other platforms they are not as chubby - not as wide pixels.

Before launch Atari did not have any standards to what values to use - so i did my own funky stuff. For later game i used their standard timings. Back then there was ho hdmi etc each tv could display the picture as it saw fit.  If you are old enough consoles back then had screen resizing images to help you tweak the screen so nothing was cut off or that you could not display text within a certain percentage near the edge . On IWar we finished the game but spent 2 weeks tweaking text position . As I am in England they would fax overnight adjustments some screens at a time ( can you move this left 2 pixels and down 1 )and I would knock up a new rom and ftp it ( 14K modem ) back to them ....  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seedy1812 said:

240 high will be too tall for NTSC which is normally 200.

Nearly every CRT and most panels will do way over 200 - usually around 228ish. 240 ensures a full overscan even on capture cards.

Remember all those ST overscan screens?

image.thumb.png.c5937e7329508581c4b0bbe1bf6fff30.png

The specification is 240 high (480 interlaced)

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:12 PM, CyranoJ said:

Nearly every CRT and most panels will do way over 200 - usually around 228ish. 240 ensures a full overscan even on capture cards.

Remember all those ST overscan screens?

I was not talking about today but when back in the day. Yes there is scanlines more than the 200/240. Atari produced recommend video settings after the first wave of games. They recommended having a couple of display objects at the start of the list to only displays between   line XX and YY  ( where YY is XX+200 or XX+240 ). So not to waste cycles when not displaying the screen.

As for overscan demos they were impressive and wrote some myself . I do remember why at times it would not work . Later on reading about the wake states research by some clever people ( and some overscan line lengths i did not find ) . Also I joined a computer club and tried them on somebody's STE to also see issues. Never fixed then as the demos helped me get me a job in the games industry at Imagitec. 

Edited by Seedy1812