IGNORED

Recommended BIOS Settings?

SoCalAttorney

When I first added memory and the SSD to my VCS, I follow this video:

My first question is whether these are still good settings to use.

Second question: what tools should I use to verify the settings too hold? I changed the UMA frame buffer size to 4G which I thought was supposed to dedicate 4 GB RAM to the internal Vega 3 graphics as referenced at about 9:13 in the video. When looking at the system performance in Windows 10, I'm not sure if I did it correctly. Any input is appreciate.

more memory.PNG

Dedicated memory.PNG

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/28/2022 at 11:12 AM, SoCalAttorney said:
After the latest BIOS updating, I noticed that Windows wasn't recognizing some of the settings such as the settings for the faster memory. I used the changes in ETA Prime's video on the subject.
It took some tinkering, but I was able to get the settings back. Your mileage may vary.

I vaguely remember you having issues w/a service ticket w/your vcs a while back, and imagine it was sorted?  I have one w/Atari where their last response was on 4.11.22 indicating that my issue was being forwarded to their engineering department.  They have been radio silent since then though.  Basically, no password works and I tried downgrading bios via their flash utility as well.  Black screen freeze at boot is also common and sometimes seems mitigated if I unplug the unit for several minutes.  I'm thinking of complaining to the FCC or similar.  I have fixed and built pc's for over 10 years and would consider myself intermediate to advanced (in some areas) of computer hardware and software.

4 hours ago, Linux_Lover said:

I vaguely remember you having issues w/a service ticket w/your vcs a while back, and imagine it was sorted?  I have one w/Atari where their last response was on 4.11.22 indicating that my issue was being forwarded to their engineering department.  They have been radio silent since then though.  Basically, no password works and I tried downgrading bios via their flash utility as well.  Black screen freeze at boot is also common and sometimes seems mitigated if I unplug the unit for several minutes.  I'm thinking of complaining to the FCC or similar.  I have fixed and built pc's for over 10 years and would consider myself intermediate to advanced (in some areas) of computer hardware and software.

I've had TON of issues with my VCS, but most were resolved when I finally wore them down and they the me a replacement machine. I still have an intermittent issue with not being able to download games and updates form the app store and they are still working on that. I also have to frequently reset the time as it jumps 7 hour ahead.

Atari outsources their tech support to Game Center Group.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:39 PM, SoCalAttorney said:

I've had TON of issues with my VCS, but most were resolved when I finally wore them down and they the me a replacement machine. I still have an intermittent issue with not being able to download games and updates form the app store and they are still working on that. I also have to frequently reset the time as it jumps 7 hour ahead.

Atari outsources their tech support to Game Center Group.

I may have an alternate route via a Youtuber that has a contact w/in Atari, but one shouldn't have to resort to such methods.  I'm just trying to be diplomatic before employing a more drastic action.  I'm wondering if wiping the eMMC memory, along with Atari OS might remove the secure boot restrictions, but I don't wager it would.  It's weird you can't download games or do updates, but I have read others experience that as well.  I think yours is the first I hear where the time jumps ahead.  Is this both Atari OS and Windows (or other OS)?  I have seen this in computers where I dual boot windows and Linux but it usually seems to occur only in Windows when it happens, and I can usually correct it.

10 minutes ago, Linux_Lover said:

I may have an alternate route via a Youtuber that has a contact w/in Atari, but one shouldn't have to resort to such methods.  I'm just trying to be diplomatic before employing a more drastic action.  I'm wondering if wiping the eMMC memory, along with Atari OS might remove the secure boot restrictions, but I don't wager it would.  It's weird you can't download games or do updates, but I have read others experience that as well.  I think yours is the first I hear where the time jumps ahead.  Is this both Atari OS and Windows (or other OS)?  I have seen this in computers where I dual boot windows and Linux but it usually seems to occur only in Windows when it happens, and I can usually correct it.

You can disable secure boot in the bios.  It took me a while but after selecting disable you don't press Enter, but rather a different key.  I don't remember which one but i says which one at the bottom of the screen

1 hour ago, rayik said:

You can disable secure boot in the bios.  It took me a while but after selecting disable you don't press Enter, but rather a different key.  I don't remember which one but i says which one at the bottom of the screen

I've tried the atari passwords and they don't work for my unit as mentioned in one of my posts above, hence why I reached out to Atari. 

On 4/29/2022 at 5:23 PM, Linux_Lover said:

I vaguely remember you having issues w/a service ticket w/your vcs a while back, and imagine it was sorted?  I have one w/Atari where their last response was on 4.11.22 indicating that my issue was being forwarded to their engineering department.  They have been radio silent since then though.  Basically, no password works and I tried downgrading bios via their flash utility as well.

Someone in another thread mentioned they had to downgrade both the bios and the Atari OS to get the password update to work,  have you done both?