IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) R1: DONKEY KONG

DONKEY KONG

He's big, he's bad, he throws barrels at your dad :music:

Welcome to season 19 of High Score Club action :waving:

There's going to be a lot of swearing here in HSC HQ over the next two weeks but I love DK, possibly the best platform game ever, how on earth atarimania has it rated at a lowly 7.8 is still a mystery to me!

Settings

Start on the default barrel skill level.

Top players: (anyone who has reached level 6+ before) must collect all the bonus items on each leveL, that makes it much trickier!

DK is a challenging game so if you're new to it or likely to only complete the first level (2 screens) try and maximise your scoring on the early levels, but generally rushing through the screens is a good tactic. Deciding if/when to use the hammer is another key factor. With practice should not lose any lives on the falling girders or spring screens.

If you want something fun to do I like to hide out at the bottom of the screen behind the oil drum and just survive!

Download XEX

Atarimania info

image.png.d345dc665e4ec97d99ae0472a9a3d134.pngimage.gif.7cfde89ba7a10cc04f85f7320de69b95.gifimage.png.4e583ba383cde37aeaae6e3e8af008b3.pngimage.gif.a2c2061e7e3de68b5dc25c373f42cac2.gif

Round ends Monday 7th Feb 10pm UK time, will try Mondays this season as I'm more likely to be around then!

HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?!

post if you need any help at all, screenshots optional, everyone welcome to play, don't be put off by other peoples' massive scores, it's all for fun :)

• Like 1

Not my first game, my second third, but wanted to get on the board:  69900  78400

At first I thought 6 rounds meant 6 screens.  Then i noticed the "L" on the screen to denote the level and realized I don't to worry about getting all the prizes to make it more difficult LOL (not that I have ever played DK as part of HSC anyway)

I haven't played this version of DK in forever.  Fun!

Edited by 8BIT 1337
  • Like 2

On 1/23/2022 at 1:18 AM, therealbountybob said:

how on earth atarimania has it rated at a lowly 7.8

Perhaps the best home port of its time.  I believe the Atari computer version was the only one of the era to have all 4 arcade screens implemented.   Even Nintendo didn't implement that on the NES and they own the game!

• Like 2

yES

On 1/23/2022 at 9:18 AM, therealbountybob said:

Settings

Start on the default barrel skill level.

Top players: (anyone who has reached level 6+ before) must collect all the bonus items on each leveL, that makes it much trickier!

Makes it more interesting and breaks up the normal play patterns. Girders screen is still easier but on the spring and esp. pie factory screen will lose you some lives! Note you can jump over the oil drum to get across to the other item! Yes level, not screen so if anyone has ever completed level 5 then play this way please :)

A rusty warm up go 44,200

1932851250_DK44200.jpg.1ae8bc50cf6af8eab9d7f98ab65ce6e0.jpg

Welcome back guys :thumbsup:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Atari8guy said:

First real go. (After 20 plus minutes of dying repeatedly). This game is much harder than 12 year old me remembers.

yes I remember watching my friend pummel the levels but it is a toughie :o

After a lot of screw ups 81,300 (still level 4 pie factory!)

6 hours ago, McKong said:

95300 collecting all bonuses

:thumbsup:

13 hours ago, graywest said:

Donkey Kong: 112,200

22 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

Note you can pause [space] during the death to get a nice screenshot :!:

20 minutes ago, 8BIT 1337 said:

New best:  93300.

Will use the 'pause' trick next time if I beat this score!

57 minutes ago, carlsson said:

Aren't there any 6 year olds around in the HSC this year? I mean in order to give me a chance to not end up in last place...

(Anyone 12 years or older is most likely to beat my score, thus I aim low with competition)

I tried to get my daughter to play (she's 5) but the big monkey and his screech scared her off.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Aren't there any 6 year olds around in the HSC this year? I mean in order to give me a chance to not end up in last place...

(Anyone 12 years or older is most likely to beat my score, thus I aim low with competition)

I did enjoy getting my kids to play Special Delivery but its not an easy task to get them to play the old stuff.  The controller looks weird to them and they don't know what they're doing and they just immediately challenge me to a game of CoD or something more modern they've played to death and can destroy me both immediately and often ?

Having said that my bet is that my teenage boys wouldn't have the patience to play long enough to beat your scores, so you might not have to aim so low in age!  (although now I'm tempted to get my 10 year old daughter to try DK to see where she scores)

• Like 2