IGNORED

HSC19 (2022) R1: DONKEY KONG

:thumbsup:

At last got past level 4 pie and would have completed the level if I didn't mess around with that hammer, it's just so satisfying! Had a whopping 13 pie and bug kills on one go with it!

120,200 [hit space to pause to get nice screenshot]

DK.jpg.ab0ce972ae31a3a6305c15557507b0c4.jpg

Like I said guys don't be put off by the big scores from some of us, it's a tough game all round :-o

• Like 1

Welcome even more HSC returnees :thumbsup:

We have another week left on DK [ends Mon 7th Feb].

I'll start up the round 2 poll in a few minutes...

latest tables

same scoring system as usual and keeping the bonus point for the top player on NTSC system #

1st  Deteacher          155,300  13pts #
 2nd  8BIT 1337           134,700  11pts

3rd  therealbountybob   120,200  10pts
  4th   McKong                       115,200  9pts
  5th   graywest                     112,200  9pts
  6th   AtariSphinx                    88,600  9pts
  7th   Fres                              76,200  8pts
  8th   Gury                             73,000  8pts
  9th   Cafeman                       68,900  8pts
 10th   tompateus                   63,100  7pts
 11th   Atari8guy                     48,000  7pts
 12th   Gazzabass                   47,600  7pts
 13th   jblenkle                        47,000  6pts
 14th   carlsson                       42,900  6pts
 15th   pusakat                       38,800  6pts
 16th   Sikor                           38,700  5pts
 17th   devwebcl                     34,300  5pts
 18th   NIKON                         31,900  4pts
 19th   Caco                           31,300  4pts
 20th   MagicMarc-er               30,000  3pts
 21st   chevymad                    19,200  3pts
 22nd   Piotrus                        18,500  2pts
 23rd   Benighted                     17,800  2pts
 24th   roadrunner                   17,400  2pts

Also McKong has set a new HSC record 248,100  (standard play not collecting everything) if anyone else wants to challenge him for this fire away!!

I would like to take part in your competition. When I got my 800XL in 1983, DK was my first game together with Dig Dug. And I still love it ;-)

Today, I play on my 130XE on the projector in the livingroom.

After hard practicing I finaly managed to get 72900 Points

20220131_184319_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MichaG said:

I would like to take part in your competition. When I got my 800XL in 1983, DK was my first game together with Dig Dug. And I still love it ;-)

20220131_184319_HDR.jpg

Welcome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Was only my fourth or fifth time playing the game, I don't love the version.

Nice to meet ya'll, can't swear I'll play every game, but I'll try.

:)

Relatively new 600XL owner, memory upgrade, composite out, it's an awesome machine.

16 hours ago, MichaG said:

Yes a big welcome to you both, I think the first "new" players of the Season :thumbsup: it's all friendly competition here so enjoy the games and suggest anything you want to play on the games list thread at any time. That could be the biggest Donkey Kong we have seen?!!

10 hours ago, jblenkle said:

Donkey Kong - 67,300

Level 4 pie :thumbsup: Now then jb you have got just about as far as I did but my score was about 50% more and that's probably down to a lot of hammering, it is risky though and can mess up your rhythm and of course lose lots of lives when it runs out or from being careless ;-)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome new players!

Level 4 pie :thumbsup: Now then jb you have got just about as far as I did but my score was about 50% more and that's probably down to a lot of hammering, it is risky though and can mess up your rhythm and of course lose lots of lives when it runs out or from being careless ;-)

It seemed to me that you lose 100pts off the timer every 2-3 seconds or so?  And the hammer gets you 300 pts per barrel/fire you crush, so I figured it makes sense, especially in L1/L2, to use the hammer on the barrel level.  

Take that for what it is though.  I normally seem to score in the 70-80k range, which is why I haven't been able to beat my own score so far :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting closer Deteacher ;-)

DK5.jpg.0be35681d7afe148f963b08d57ac8ed7.jpg

133,900 got caught on the ladder on level 5 pie trying to get the third item!

My usual HSC Strategy is to have a copuple of goes each day, I avoid constant restarts to avoid a game becoming frustrating!

As 9 of you have voted already the round 2 poll is not a secret! It will stay open until Monday evening when we start rouind 2 :idea:

• Like 1

Thanks for the Welcome!

Just gabbing, extra time on my hands.

I played in the 2600 HSC for three seasons in a row, taking this year off-I was actually a bad, bad Man over there(lol), but it was a lot of pressure to play daily to improve my scores, and it took a lot of time from my regular pursuits, general high scoring. Again, there, I'm a bad, bad Man...(Totally teasing, with the "full of myself". I'm good, bad, AND ugly.).

I tend to play pretty much any and every system imaginable, live in "nowhere" Tennessee, but stumbled on a deal for several 80's PC's, and the Guy lived just down the(gravel...)road!!!

So being an Atari fan in general, the first one I got going/got into was the 600XL-actually, with the deal, I got one super minty, in the box, matching serial numbers-but the comma key is stuck on the keyboard, been told "easy fix".

Well, I was so excited, I went ahead and got one from someone here already upgraded and output modded and all, and I DO have plans for the Guy who did the work on my "good" one to fix my minty one, I just haven't gotten it done yet.

But I really do love it-Pitstop is a particular favorite, I'd been familiar with it from Coleco and C64.

I really do try to be "everybody's buddy", but I also say what I think, lol-I really don't like this Donkey Kong.

I was about a 350/400K scorer on MAME years ago, not great but decent, and have done OK on some platforms, I don't hate the game, but not a particular favorite.

It just seems like the known thing about Kong is the occasional randomness that screws you up, but other than that, you typically DO have some form of manipulation/control(I have the MAME W/R on Burgertime, BTW, lol, I'm good at manipulating baddies...).

This version doesn't give you any of that, it seems like, the Pie Factory in particular just seems like luck every time I'd get past it, and I KNOW DK strategy.

Now-not that it makes it a bad game, but it's just, to me, a not quite right version of the game, the girders are too close together on the opening screens, just a lot of little things.

Yeah-depending on how far my head is up my tail on a particular game scoring, whatnot-if I get time, I don't mind a bit to play a game a time or two and just submit whatever, waiting for those couple games I just can't put down, I don't have a lot of pride, haha, stinky scores can be as fun as good ones.

Skiing of somesort, hmm. I saw that. 

I'm a good Skiier.

And TRBB, you programmed it, am I seeing that right?

That's AWESOME!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I usually try to avoid using the hammer unless I get caught with no other way out. I know you get more points for hammering things as opposed to jumping over them, but I just don't know if it's worth it because of the extra time used which diminishes your score.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jblenkle said:

I usually try to avoid using the hammer unless I get caught with no other way out. I know you get more points for hammering things as opposed to jumping over them, but I just don't know if it's worth it because of the extra time used which diminishes your score.

Looks like you lose ~500 points from the bonus every time you grab the hammer.  So you need to hammer at least 2 enemies to about break even.   I find on the second level (blue metal) if you grab the hammer without 2 enemies around you can lose points.   To make it worth the risk I think you need to hammer >=3 enemies.

• Like 1