IGNORED

Atari 7800 Controller Options

Silver Back

Several of us also purchased this custom "7800 Arcade Joystick" several years back.  I absolutely love the look and feel of it.  We were able to select a left/right handed joy stick.  This was in my collection, prior to purchasing the ambidextrous Edladdin Supreme 78: All-Play 4/8.  

7800 ProSystem JS.jpg

• Like 3

15 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

Yeah when you go HARDCORE DeCrescenzo, you need to be able to get under there and switch that gate to 4 way!

(I used to think that was such a silly thing, "I'll just avoid the diagonals"...nope. 4 way or GTFO for Pac!)

For 4 way action I use this one 

IMG_20220128_091941.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

I got on a tear and built several a few years ago when I was feeling crafty (7800 sticks are great projects for those of us that are more crafty than solder-y!):

Some great looking sticks in that collection ?

• Like 2

There's some great looking sticks here. @sramirez2008 I wish I was around for those. @GoldenWheels those are some fantastic looking sticks!  I love them!  

I'm going to attempt the space invaders conversion this weekend. If it turns out great I'll download the stencils and show the finished product here. I mean you all see. It already but yeah. 

3 hours ago, GoldenWheels said:

I got on a tear and built several a few years ago when I was feeling crafty (7800 sticks are great projects for those of us that are more crafty than solder-y!)

That 7800 Xevious stick is still one of my favorites.  Quality build with precise, short throws.?

7800 Xevious.jpg

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Leonard Smith said:

Some of those joystick handles (the ones with the really oversized rubber boot) look like they came off a lawnmower or electric wheelchair, lol!  

Haha I got some mini sticks from China/ali express....I do believe they are "industrial". The one in the small woody controller is just OK (it is 8 way micro switched but it feels "loose" around the center to me). I built a few with that one. The one I put in the Xevious controller above was a big step up. Better boot, better stick top, tigther.

They also sell slightly larger ones ones with top buttons...but the buttons are absolute ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well I made the RSI 7800 controller but I didn't have the resistors on hand. It appears to work for one button games without it.  I tested Moon Cresta and it worked great.   but I tested the ghost and goblins WIP and without the resistors he constantly throws projectiles.  You can still jump too but it's obviously not the desired affect. 

I have the resistors coming to finish the project along with some nice paper for the stencil. I'll add pics when it's finished but I think I got the jist of it. 

So to add to my first post:

RSI 7800 Modded Controller - Easy to do with the right parts and maybe a broken proline.  It's nicer than an actual proline but the stock buttons from the RSI are a tad mushy. If you have the parts already it's a cheap and fun project, but I'd go for the edladdin or @Bratwurst arcade sticks if you want the arcade feel. 

Edited by Silver Back
Finished thought
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dopy25 said:

Any chance you're willing to share the parts used in that?

Shoot....the project box, I don't have more of any longer. I built it a while ago and can't recover the ebay record.

Found the stick tho!:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32776803303.html?spm=a2g0o.9042311.0.0.27424c4dk4Qqdb

The buttons are normal generic 22mm arcade buttons.

• Thanks 1

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but there was the ProLine Arcade 78 by Curt Vendel / Awesome Arcades or Awecades. It's a shame that it appears only a small handful of those were ever made and sold. I had intended on picking one up but kept putting it off. Did anyone here manage to pick one up?

prolinearcade78.thumb.jpeg.27e39213276f08df8333c64221943adf.jpeg

Lance from Video61 had made and sold modified CX30 Evolved 7800 paddles... (or ProLine Paddles as I like to call them ;) ) thankfully I managed to get an order in for one of the last remaining units and can't wait to try it out, looks amazing:

cx30paddles.thumb.jpg.ae62efe2ac4a03cbde75af6f8380221f.jpg

One I did end up missing out on regretfully is Video61s customized Trak Ball controller that is clearly a modified XL-line trak ball but modified and 7800 compatible - just too cool looking:

trakball.thumb.jpg.327e2f6e7600c26ad212c4bfa4d3184c.jpg

Someday I'd like to create my own controller for the 7800 and have some cool ideas floating around upstairs for them...

• Like 2

I like video61s gripstick, even if other controllers have surpassed it.  The gripstick is still a solid choice and well put together. I wish I could've got their trackball controller (along with save Mary and a few other things) but honestly I skipped over the paddles. Looking at them now I wish I had not!

That joystick looks incredible too!  I'd love to hear more about it if somebody has one!

8 hours ago, Clint Thompson said:

Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but there was the ProLine Arcade 78 by Curt Vendel / Awesome Arcades or Awecades. It's a shame that it appears only a small handful of those were ever made and sold. I had intended on picking one up but kept putting it off. Did anyone here manage to pick one up?

Just like you, I really meant to get one of these, but never did. 

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, chopperthedog said:

I like a modified Epyx 500XJ (sega master system version). You just need a cable from a sad CX24 and the 2 resistors.

good day.

IMG_20220129_120622.jpg

They already have a 9 pin Atari version.  And coupled with a seagull 76 it will give 2 buttons probably.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265518596522?hash=item3dd22441aa:g:v28AAOSweyxh3j~V

2 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

They already have a 9 pin Atari version.  And coupled with a seagull 76 it will give 2 buttons probably.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265518596522?hash=item3dd22441aa:g:v28AAOSweyxh3j~V

The controller you linked only has one button and I have no desire to add a $40 box and extra cable to my set-up even if it did work with controller. The controller I modded was for the "master system" and a $3 bargain bin buy at sean kelly's store.

And from the seagull description:  Note: The Seagull 78 controller adapter is not compatible with Sega Master System controllers.

good day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chopperthedog said:

The controller you linked only has one button and I have no desire to add a $40 box and extra cable to my set-up even if it did work with controller. The controller I modded was for the "master system" and a $3 bargain bin buy at sean kelly's store.

And from the seagull description:  Note: The Seagull 78 controller adapter is not compatible with Sega Master System controllers.

good day.

I missed that.  The nes version has 2 buttons.  I thought the other one did too.  But seagull was only 25 when I had them.  But even 35 as they are now is not bad. Because it not just for that controller but for others.  Any controller even if your modified one breaks.

15 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Also just found this but not sure if its worth it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154627325469?hash=item240081be1d:g:7KkAAOSw~N9hULHD

it looks like a version of the early models of my AT26-Chuck , apprently with less features.

6763621444580075957.jpg

I see no problem on replicating an open source project, even for profit, as long as the original work maintain its credits. At least the device is being offered for cheap, which is a good point :).

My latest PCB was shortened to better hold the nunchuck connector, and reduce the stress on the Atari connector.

9274321446925426231.jpg

BTW the firmware can be modified , and a diode shall be added to support two buttons on POT lines to mave it compatible with 7800.