IGNORED

What are the funniest games of all time (best humour/comedy)?

I just realized that there's a lot of humour in world of warcraft too. Especially the gnomes and goblins come to mind. Also the graphic style is quite cartoony and fun. Games that have exaggerated buildings, props and backgrounds/landscapes get a big plus from me. Always fantastic when they take that extra effort and go beyond having only cartoony characters.

• Like 1

I have always found No One Lives Forever and Time Splitters (especially 3) to have good senses of humor. The cutscene were good, but also alot of the dialog between random guards that you can just hide and listen too.

As for talkies, I was always partial to Simon the Sorcerer and SQ4: Rodger Wilco and the Time Rippers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Turbo Laser Lynx said:

I just realized that there's a lot of humour in world of warcraft too. Especially the gnomes and goblins come to mind. Also the graphic style is quite cartoony and fun. Games that have exaggerated buildings, props and backgrounds/landscapes get a big plus from me. Always fantastic when they take that extra effort and go beyond having only cartoony characters.

For some reason, your post reminded me that the grunts in Halo are pretty hilarious.

10 hours ago, Ninjabba said:

but those dialogues are something else

Hehe. ? Some of it sounds a lot like Swedish and Norveigian. I thought he said "monster i skogen" at some point (means "monster in the forest"). Actually that reminded me of the gibberish dialogue in the Animal Crossing games which I think is pretty funny too.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

• 2 weeks later...

Armed and Dangerous for the OG Xbox comes to mind when I think of games that literally made me laugh out loud while playing. It’s one of those rather obscure games that's hugely entertaining but criminally under appreciated. Anyone who’s played it will smile when they hear the words “Land Shark Gun” ?

I also thought that Far Cry Blood Dragon was quite hilarious and surprisingly well done. I’m a sucker for 80’s action movie tributes and this game really nails the vibe for me! And the casting of Michael Biehn as the gruff cyber commando was truly inspired. This expansion was totally unexpected and a welcome departure for the series. I’d love to see more developers take chances like this with their IPs.

5 hours ago, Scotterpop said:

Armed and Dangerous for the OG Xbox comes to mind when I think of games that literally made me laugh out loud while playing. It’s one of those rather obscure games that's hugely entertaining but criminally under appreciated. Anyone who’s played it will smile when they hear the words “Land Shark Gun” ?

+1 
Had a great sense of humor throughout.  You'd catch little quips and side conversations as you played.  Had kind of a Red Dwarf / British Humor angle to it.

The game did suffer from a rather generic title, which many may have overlooked for that reason alone.
Thankfully, I played the demo on one of the Xbox Magazine demo discs and found myself replaying it, so I bought the full version.

On 2/1/2022 at 8:58 PM, CapitanClassic said:

I have always found No One Lives Forever and Time Splitters (especially 3) to have good senses of humor. The cutscene were good, but also alot of the dialog between random guards that you can just hide and listen too.

The code phrases were hilarious.  :D   That was a well needed laugh.

So good laughs from games, the unintended things.

* Getting Bubsy to wrap on the screen when he is waiting.   Friend's kids got a kick out of that. (Jaguar)

* The fireball from under the kilt in Kasumi Ninja on the Atari Jaguar.

* Brutal Sports Football just ignoring the ball and slaughtering the other team.

On the Atari 8-bit Computer:

* Watching the people (you are supposed to rescue) run from you as you go on strafing runs with your helicopter in Choplifter.

* The splat effect when you jump to far in Miner 2049er.  (see also Circus Atari for the 2600).

* Getting the voice synthesizer S.A.M. to say cuss words.

Yes growing up boredom at 2 am and having a friend over made for some fun times.

• Like 2

Sam and Max - Is everybody just talking about hit the road?

I haven't played that one, but the 5 chapter Sam & Max Telltale games are pretty funny too.

And on that,

Strong Bad's cool game for Attractive people is up there too.

Both are pretty cheap too.

Harvey Birdman had a point and click on the Wii that was funny, but kinda slow.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, H454 said:

I haven't played that one, but the 5 chapter Sam & Max Telltale games are pretty funny too.

I found the Tell-Tale "Sam and Max" episodic games to be hit or miss.   Some were really funny, others kind of fell flat.

My favorite episodes were the ones where Sam and Max did the cooking TV show, and the one where Bosco gets abducted by aliens and turned into a cow.  Some others too, but those are the ones that stick out in my memory.

If you enjoyed them, you should give "Hit the Road" a try!

I tried the earliest of the TT Sam And Max games and I liked the visuals, the humor, but the actual puzzle mechanics, either the steps or the overly convoluted thinking on what to do compared to how Lucasarts did it decades earlier was a huge put off and I never looked forward again, just back to the original that even eventually when I got on a DOS games kick some years back I got a complete boxed talkie CD copy of the game instead despite having it on GoG.

13 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I tried the earliest of the TT Sam And Max games and I liked the visuals, the humor, but the actual puzzle mechanics, either the steps or the overly convoluted thinking on what to do compared to how Lucasarts did it decades earlier was a huge put off and I never looked forward again, just back to the original that even eventually when I got on a DOS games kick some years back I got a complete boxed talkie CD copy of the game instead despite having it on GoG.

I had a hard time getting used to the episodic format.   It ended up that each episode had only a few areas to explore, each one was short.   And yeah the first couple of episodes were a letdown coming from "Hit the Road".   It did improve as more episodes came.

On 1/25/2022 at 8:01 AM, Lord Mushroom said:

I haven´t played it, but I would imagine South Park: The Stick of Truth would be funny.

Stick of truth probably has my vote for #1 funniest. Oh man, that entire boss fight on the bed really had me going.

I did also like the humor in papers please. It's like those comedy films that don't really tell jokes but are funny because of how straight they play a bizarre premise.

Maybe it's the changing times, but when I went back for the big lucasarts ones--sam & max, dott, monkey islands, and grim fandango, their humor just didn't hold up. I did enjoy the neat time traveling puzzles in DOTT, but actually didn't see anything especially enjoyable about the rest. I could tell they thought they were being funny, and I remember a lot more of it working on 12-year-old Reaperman, but it was almost painfully unfunny to me now, and I only finished the first two on the list.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

I don't think games are funny, at least not on purpose.  80s/90s p&cs are cute.  They never made me laugh.  Something like Octodad isn't funny so much as playing it will make you laugh a lot, at least at first.  We laughed a lot playing Bomberman BitD, but that game isn't funny.  Rock Band will make you laugh, but it ain't funny.

The closest you get is the unintentionally funny games.  Most 90s FMV games fit this category, and a lot of late-century 32-bit games with hilariously bad scripts and voice acting fit the bill, too.

Ground Zero Texas, Sewer Shark, Psychic Detective, Wirehead... pretty much anything that came out on Sega CD or 3D0 that was FMV-based.  T.R.A.G. for Playstation is the quintessential terrible-but-funny late-90s game.  The original Grand Theft Auto was a hoot from the same time period.  Broken Helix had a lot of funny lines, much more than Duke Nukem, back when Bruce Campbell being in something still meant something.

I remember Conker's Bad Fur Day being funny back when I was a teen-ager, but I suspect that kind of 90s-era "edgy" humor was probably juvenile and not in a good way.

I know that if the Lucasarts adventure games don't currently work on me, these games stand even less chance of seeming funny to me any more. But I used to think a couple text adventures were just the funniest things ever--Ballyhoo (Infocom) and Humbug (Graham Cluley).

"What would you do with a trombone, a terrapin, and half a pound of lard?"

Edited by Reaperman