IGNORED

Repairing damaged and frayed cords.

djpowerplayer

I recently purchased a box of old Sega genesis controllers off eBay I’ve taken it on myself to learn how to repair them. Most of them just needed a good cleaning but I also reflow the solder just to make sure. One issue I ran into that took me some time to figure out was how to repair damaged and frayed cords. The solution I found was Liquid Electrical Tape so I ordered this brand off Amazon. http://www.starbrite.com/item/liquid-electrical-tape?category_id=568

I have to say it is the best solution I have found for repairing cords of old electronics although my reason for making this post is to get some insight to other people’s suggestions, maybe there is a better solution? Please let me know thanks!

IMG_0372.JPG

IMG_0373.JPG

IMG_0374.JPG

IMG_0375.JPG

It depends on what the issue is but looking at the link you provided it appears to be designed to simply provide connection joint protection from dirt and moisture to and is not a repair for a faulty cable that makes intermittent connection because the internal wires are broken. 

It is possible that if you put enough on it may set firmly enough to stop the cable flexing at the break point for a while but the only real solution for a faulty cable is to locate the section with the problem and remove it, or replace the whole cable.

I can see this being useful for cables that are nicked or slight cuts that haven't affected the wiring internally. But when I have an actual cable that is bad and have found where the break is, I will cut the entire cable at that point. Strips back the insulation and wiring as far as is needed on both ends. Place about 2 sections of shrink tubing that is just slightly larger diameter than the cable of about 2 - 3 inches in length. Apply small 1cm lengths of shrink onto one of the stripped wire sections on each wire. Solder the wiring back together, apply the small section of shrink over the soldered section, shrink, repeat for all wires. Then slide one of the two larger sections over the entire wire assembly and shrink that. Then slide the section shrink tubing over that...and shrink it again. 

At that point, I've made a section in the entire wire harness that is stronger than the rest of the cable wiring.

When I have cables that break at the strain relief I will use rubbing alcohol as a temporary lubricant and remove the inner cable from the strain relief (lots of twisting involved here). I will then slide the strain relief up the cable, cut the bad section off and strip the appropriate length of fresh wire. Then with a cotton swab apply a very small bit of acetone on the outer cable casing and slide the strain relief back down. This fuses the cable to the strain relief and gives a strong yet flexible mechanical bond, as well as a professional looking finish. This trick has saved many power supplies.