IGNORED

Best TV for Modern Gaming 2022

wongojack

Was wondering what opinions were on this board about the current best TV for gaming.  I haven't bought a new TV in years, so I'm looking to upgrade and can spend quite a bit.  The space I have for it can handle ANY size, but I probably won't go too far above 50"

OLED for sure. I think LG still makes all TV screens. You get the best response times and proper black levels. Is there a risk of burn in? Yeah sure but I've had mine for 3-4 years and don't have any. You just can't be a moron with it.

Last year's LG models are on sale now too for a few hundred off.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

OLED for sure. I think LG still makes all TV screens. You get the best response times and proper black levels. Is there a risk of burn in? Yeah sure but I've had mine for 3-4 years and don't have any. You just can't be a moron with it.

Last year's LG models are on sale now too for a few hundred off.

Like this?  Amazon.com: LG OLED C1 Series 65” Alexa Built-in 4k Smart TV (3840 x 2160), 120Hz Refresh Rate, AI-Powered 4K, Dolby Cinema, WiSA Ready, Gaming Mode (OLED65C1PUB, 2021) : Clothing, Shoes & Jewelry

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Punisher5.0 said:

Is there a risk of burn in? Yeah sure but I've had mine for 3-4 years and don't have any. You just can't be a moron with it.

I'm not in the market for one right now, but am somewhat interested in OLEDs. Are there any conclusive tests and measurements regarding the burn in? I've heard that the newest models have some protections and what not and yet everyone still says burn in is possible. So what constitutes being a moron...leaving it on overnight with a menu-heavy game (obvious), or playing this game for 3 hours straight (not so obvious)?

• Like 1

Can't go wrong with an LG OLED.  The 2021 C1 you linked above is simply stunning.  We got ours last summer and I'm still in love with it.  I came from a Samsung plasma which had a bigger risk of burn-in, and it's much less an issue with OLED.  Hardly worth mentioning, really.

The LG G1 from last year had a slightly brighter screen (called EVO) and it's my understanding that the 2022 C2 model will have those slightly-nicer panels this year.  However, imo it already looks bright enough.  Many people go on about how LCDs are brighter, which is true, but do you really want to get blinded when watching tv?  The 2021 C1 gets about 1000 nits which is plenty for stunning HDR and certainly bright enough for me.  However, if you are a videophile and really want a little extra brightness, it might be worth waiting to get a 2022 (or a 2021 G1).

Sony makes quality OLEDs too which you should consider.  They are more expensive, and I've read it can handle tv/movie upscaling a bit better.  For (mostly) gaming, you want LG!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, youxia said:

I'm not in the market for one right now, but am somewhat interested in OLEDs. Are there any conclusive tests and measurements regarding the burn in? I've heard that the newest models have some protections and what not and yet everyone still says burn in is possible. So what constitutes being a moron...leaving it on overnight with a menu-heavy game (obvious), or playing this game for 3 hours straight (not so obvious)?

3 hours would be no problem even with a hud. The important part is to put something else on afterwards to change what the pixels are displaying. If you just constantly have something on the screen that's the same day after day for hours then it's possible to get burn in.

LG does have measures to prevent it though like a screen saver, Logo luminance adjustment (dims static parts of screen) and there is also a pixel cleaning mode that automatically runs after the TV has been shut off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wongojack said:

Is there any consideration for gaming regarding size?  Is there any kind of rule of thumb? Like some factor where the screen is so large that refresh rates drop, or does it just depend on how far you sit from the screen?

All modern LG OLED panels can do 120hz. Even my older TV can but at 1080p because of the hdmi limitation. The sets with HDMI 2.1 can do the full 4k@120.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 6:09 PM, wongojack said:

Is there any consideration for gaming regarding size?  Is there any kind of rule of thumb? Like some factor where the screen is so large that refresh rates drop, or does it just depend on how far you sit from the screen?

All tv sizes of a particular model will perform the same.  The only considerations are 1) your viewing space and 2) your budget.  I would suggest getting the biggest you can afford!

• Like 1