IGNORED

I'm thinking of getting a VCS

T.A.P.

I've been thinking of ordering a VCS, and I would love to hear from those that have one.

I want it primarily just to play Atari games, which admittedly, there are probably a billion other ways to do.

For those that have one, do you like it? Is it worth the cost? How is the game library now?

Can the games be played offline, or is it like that Google Stadia thing, meaning if the service goes away, so do your games?

• Like 4

You don't have to have an internet connection to play. Its a digital console, so you would need one to buy games and access game streaming content like Antstream, Stadia, Luna, etc. You can play downloaded content purchased from the store offline. There are more than 40 games at this point, including the Recharged titles, indie content and the Flashback Friday releases. The ability to use Stadia, Luna, etc. opens it up to modern AAA content.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

So the only way to play games is through streaming? You can't download them to play offline?

Because that is a non-starter for me, if that is the case.

I like mine of course and feel like the upgradeability and the ability to use it as a full PC makes it well worth the cost in my opinion because I can do so much more than a traditional game console. The game library continues to grow and improve as well.

I would give it a chance. It feels like a quality machine when you hold it, the people that designed the VCS obviously love Atari and it's history. If you disassemble the console you'll find little easter eggs everywhere. You need to an internet connection to download games, for system updates, and to access streaming services like Anstream. Once you're games are downloaded they are able to be played offline.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

I've been thinking of ordering a VCS, and I would love to hear from those that have one.

I want it primarily just to play Atari games, which admittedly, there are probably a billion other ways to do.

For those that have one, do you like it? Is it worth the cost? How is the game library now?

Can the games be played offline, or is it like that Google Stadia thing, meaning if the service goes away, so do your games?

It is a really fun game system. 

- The Atari OS has the Recharged series of games if you like a modernized spin on old classics (overall they are done well)

- Retro inspired games like Jetboard Joust and Sydney Hunter and the Curse of the Mayan are great fun

- Rally Racers was just released today on the Atari VCS so now we have a proper kart racing co op game

- Flashback Friday releases each week add classic games from Atari's back catalog to the store

- Antstream Arcade lets you you play a ton of old games from arcades and different platforms

- Coming later this year HD 2.5 games such as Neko Ghost Jump! and Red Rust are being released on the Atari VCS

- Game streaming services such as XBOX Cloud Gaming, Google Stadia and Amazon Cloud and GeForce Now will give you access to tons of modern content

- The Atari VCS is perfect for emulation of old game consoles when running in PC mode

- Play game from your Steam library from when running in PC mode

- Epic Games gives away a free game every Thursday and you can build a nice free library of games to play in PC mode

Edited by Tidus79001
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

So the only way to play games is through streaming? You can't download them to play offline?

Because that is a non-starter for me, if that is the case.

It can do both.

You can buy games through the Atari Store and download and play locally,  should work without being connected

It also has streaming options like Stadia,  GeForce Now and Antstream.

I don't use any of the streaming services because like you I'm just not into that.

22 hours ago, T.A.P. said:

My experience with the VCS has been less than stellar. Atari is going to replace my system, though it is unclear if I am having software or hardware issue.

When it works properly, it is fun. Some games will download to you system and you can play locally. The recharged series is good.

I also enjoy Antstream when it works, but it hasn't worked on my system since at least January 1, 2022. Some streaming game services like Stadia are available without installing another OS. 

On 1/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, T.A.P. said:

For Atari games, the console should be fine for you.   You can get a nice assortment of Arcade, 2600, some 5200/7800 games for the console.   There also are the 5 recharged games(Breakout Recharged being the fifth game being released this next week Breakout).   Atari VCS is a mixed bag for me, as I have owned one for over a year and have tried several games on it.    I own most other consoles and products on the market so have plenty to choose from and compare the VCS to.   It is good to let you know that the VCS will not have game releases like other devices on the market.  Just really a drip feed for new games and much fewer games being released than an XB1/PS4/Swtich.    They are in desperate need of some scheduled releases outside of flashback Fridays and the occasional recharged game.    As for the price($300/$400), I still think that comparing to what an Xbox Series S can do or Switch, it does not offer the same content.    Many of the games offered can be found on other consoles too, as there are not many exclusives.   I do not hate it but just being honest.    

I love the Atari VCS. It may still be trying to establish its identity as a console (now that DosBox games are being sold for the platform, it blurs the line between traditional game console and a hybrid PC).

I never had any issues with my VCS, even though there are plenty of posts here to the contrary regarding others.

New game releases can be slow in coming (and occasionally not interesting to me, like aviation DosBox games), but Atari promises to provide more games this year, along with 3rd party indie developers. And what is available in the online store right now, is enough to keep any new VCS owner busy for weeks (or months).

Edit: I strongly feel the Atari VCS is a worthwhile investment.

Edit #2: I’m not sure if your game purchases can be played offline (I’ve never tried it). 

Edited by ColecoGamer
  • Like 1

All in all I'd recommend. There are a few threads talking about pros cons but I'll break it down as follows:

Highlights:

-- It's a very intuitive system and all in all does everything it should be able to well, sometimes great even. It is mod-able and has a clean interface, and Atari did a solid job of knowing which apps to feature and offer. 

--  The games are all very affordable and with a couple minor exceptions perform extremely well. There is enough there to attract all ages of gamers and the Recharged series is a high point, as are the modern retro classics (Sydney Hunter, Pixel Cup, Jetboard Joust). Yes, these games are available elsewhere, but the classic controller handles some of these games (the Recharged titles in particular) great. 

-- If you so desire, Stadia, Luna, GeForceNow, and XBox Cloud are all there for AAA games, and at least in Stadia's case, seem to work great. I am a sports fan and can pull the modern sports games, like Madden, NBA2K, and F12020, without any issue. You can also get a free month of Stadia to test it, and the kids game options there (a few DreamWorks titles and a Paw Patrol game) are great. 

-- The addition of Antstream Arcade and the Vaults are huge for this system, and do a magnificent job. Good content, leaderboards, and fun variety that plays well. 

Lowlights

-- The lack of games overall, and the lack of games tailored for the VCS, is absurd. Yes, there are levels added for some games, and some VCS-specific specs, but it's not a marked change. Atari needs to fix this, and good news is they seem to be aware of how this can attract new players. Since Chesnais left, Rosen has been saying this is the priority, and they do already have 3 games slated for release in Q1. We'll see, but even if they somehow dropped 10 games in the next 2-3 months, it would seem sparse. That IMO is the biggest black eye this system has right now, other than being slightly overpriced ($279.99 would be near my retail price for an all-in).

-- The OS is good, but lacks some easy, basic functions. Why no search? Why can't I sort the icons? Why no manuals for the 7800 games? All in all it looks great and works well but could be better. 

-- Network issues. It's been better since Christmas, but man, what a lame couple of weeks. VCS users are a fun and open minded lot, but they need to avoid that, big time, going forward to avoid burning the fans who bought this and supported them.

-- Lack of transparency on forthcoming system updates. This seems a little unfair maybe, but especially after the network outages it would help people maybe be a little more patient knowing some patches are on the horizon.  

Bottom line, I am a huge fan of the system and think (and hope) they'll turn the corner. I recommend the Super Nicktendo reviews, as well as John and others who have done great reviews. As they often mention, keeping expectations realistic is key to enjoying the device. I do think that Atari might have a couple tricks up their sleeve, like possibly through USB-based features such as an emulator, or something even crazier like a USB-based cartridge reader for 2600 games. I have had a lot of fun with it and hope they can get the kinks out and add more content and users to really drive the idea home and maybe keep growing the functionality over time. 

Edited by Atarick
  • Like 1

For me it was always about being a small PC in an console-form factor with a cool design and Atari name.    I was always more interested in running something like Batocera and accessing my own content than relying on what Atari provides.

That said though,  I have checked out some games in the Atari store, and there are some gems in there.   Not a huge number of games as of yet..   actually at this point there are the exact same number of games in the Atari store as were officially released on the Jaguar -- 50.     Of course that counts retro titles from other systems.

• Like 1