IGNORED

Panda Jump (Arcade?)

Ben_Larson

I've hesitated posting this for a little while because I wasn't sure it was entirely relevant to this forum, but I thought it might interest some of you.

Basically I've been working on a new homebrew ...but ...it's not for any home system.  See what happened was I bought an old Galaxian arcade board off eBay a while back and wouldn't you know it then I got the idea to write a homebrew for it. :)

The name of the game is 'Panda Jump' - it's a spinoff of a 2600 game I wrote a while back (Panky the Panda).  It's not the same type of game though - this one's a pure platformer, not an adventure game.

In this one, you play the role of an unnamed panda who faces the task of gathering his favorite bamboo to eat.  Unfortunately due to habitat loss, the only place this bamboo grows anymore is inside of active volcanoes (of course it makes perfect sense that bamboo would be growing inside of volcanoes and that you would be willing to risk your life to get it - this is video game logic we're talking about, after all. :) )

The goal is just to get to the bamboo at the top of each screen within the alloted timespan and not fall in the lava.  There's only nine screens, so it's a pretty short game, but it's not easy (especially the last 2 levels).

To play it in MAME, you will need to put the zip file in your roms folder (back up your existing 'galaxian.zip' if you have Galaxian).  Then you will need to run it from the command line like this:

mame64 galaxian

When you run from the command line, it will complain about the checksums not matching, but it will actually start.  It will not run from the MAME GUI, though - the GUI won't run anything if the checksums don't match (as far as I know).

I think it's mostly complete, but I haven't really gotten any feedback yet, which is why I'm posting it here.

Also the number of lives is either 3 or 5 - it's controllable via the 'lives' DIP switch in the game settings (the setting indicates 2 or 3 in MAME but it's actually 3 or 5 in this game).

pandajump1.jpg

pandajump2.jpg

galaxian.zip

Edited by Ben_Larson
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Ben_Larson said:

I've hesitated posting this for a little while because I wasn't sure it was entirely relevant to this forum, but I thought it might interest some of you.

Basically I've been working on a new homebrew ...but ...it's not for any home system.  See what happened was I bought an old Galaxian arcade board off eBay a while back and wouldn't you know it then I got the idea to write a homebrew for it. :)

The name of the game is 'Panda Jump' - it's a spinoff of a 2600 game I wrote a while back (Panky the Panda).  It's not the same type of game though - this one's a pure platformer, not an adventure game.

In this one, you play the role of an unnamed panda who faces the task of gathering his favorite bamboo to eat.  Unfortunately due to habitat loss, the only place this bamboo grows anymore is inside of active volcanoes (of course it makes perfect sense that bamboo would be growing inside of volcanoes and that you would be willing to risk your life to get it - this is video game logic we're talking about, after all. :) )

The goal is just to get to the bamboo at the top of each screen within the alloted timespan and not fall in the lava.  There's only nine screens, so it's a pretty short game, but it's not easy (especially the last 2 levels).

To play it in MAME, you will need to put the zip file in your roms folder (back up your existing 'galaxian.zip' if you have Galaxian).  Then you will need to run it from the command line like this:

mame64 galaxian

When you run from the command line, it will complain about the checksums not matching, but it will actually start.  It will not run from the MAME GUI, though - the GUI won't run anything if the checksums don't match (as far as I know).

I think it's mostly complete, but I haven't really gotten any feedback yet, which is why I'm posting it here.

Also the number of lives is either 3 or 5 - it's controllable via the 'lives' DIP switch in the game settings (the setting indicates 2 or 3 in MAME but it's actually 3 or 5 in this game).

pandajump1.jpg

pandajump2.jpg

galaxian.zip 5.26 kB · 5 downloads

Any video of the gameplay?

3 hours ago, 128Kgames said:

Any video of the gameplay?

No - not at the moment.  But basically the platforms you see in that screenshot move left or right across the playfield on each level (except for the starting/ending ones and the ones centered in the very middle of the screen).

The key to the game is really controlling (and in later screens, utilizing) your momentum in order to make the jumps.

Edited by Ben_Larson

• 9 months later...