IGNORED

128KB raycaster engine WIP

globe

On 2/5/2022 at 4:36 PM, MrFish said:

Why in the world hasn't anybody tried playing with movement granularity in 3D engines like this before?? If they have, I certainly haven't seen it. It seems like everybody is fixated on smooth movement only...

Well, in "Total Eclipse" created in 1988 (using "Freescape" engine) there was some movement granularity: one can change step length ("S" key) and angle ("A" key) during the game.

Here is a video from A8 conversion (2018), in 0:39 it's visible that the step length is being changed (look on the hieroglyphs above the watch) and next steps are bigger: 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2022 at 4:32 PM, +Adam+ said:

Well, in "Total Eclipse" created in 1988 (using "Freescape" engine) there was some movement granularity: one can change step length ("S" key) and angle ("A" key) during the game.

Here is a video from A8 conversion (2018), in 0:39 it's visible that the step length is being changed (look on the hieroglyphs above the watch) and next steps are bigger: 

Though I'm not a (competent) programmer (yet), aren't you totally comparing apples to oranges here? One is a true 3D engine using filled vector graphics and the other is a pseudo 3D engine using 2D ray-casting graphics. And the year the engine was made is irrelevant, made yesterday or decades ago, it's constrained to the same hardware.

And thank God this project is a ray-casting engine running at multiples of frames per second for the type of game it is. 1-2fps is acceptable for the type of game Total Eclipse is, but not for a FPS. 

The point being I highly doubt that the freescape engine would have anything to use with the ray-caster engine, beyond the idea of movement granularity and the low resolution of 80x48 doesn't really allow for much of a range of movement granularity I'd think. Unless the Atari's fine scrolling is resolution independent, something I've haven't looked into yet in my learning.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, pseudografx said:

Bumping the thread to check if there's been any progress with the project. :)

Thanks PG. I would love to see this turn into a fully fledged engine in games. It's very fast and looks great, with a lot of potential. Nor heard from Globe in a long time. Hope all is well.