IGNORED

ProDOS and BASIC version combinations?

Keatah

Forgive an ignorant question from a non-Apple II guy (though I have used them of course).  What was different in BASIC between ProDOS versions?  I thought Applesoft ran from ROM, and I know that DOS intercepts the input/output to look for DOS commands with the CHR$(4) notation.  Is it just that part of BASIC that changed?  

He is referring to Basic.system, not Applesoft Basic.  Basic.system is like DOS3.3 where it handles all the CHR$(4) commands in Basic programs, prompt commands, and file creation and management.  All Prodos knows how to do is to Read from and Write to a device.

Basically Basic.system puts all the commands to access devices into English words.

Yes. It doesn't replace Applesoft in ROM. I tend to call it an interceptor/interposer rather than interpreter, because interpreter in old-school terms means the entire BASIC language is interpreted real-time on the fly as a program runs. Semantics I suppose!

At any rate, https://archive.org/details/beneath-apple-dos-prodos-2020

..is a good read and reference.

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Forgive an ignorant question from a non-Apple II guy (though I have used them of course).  What was different in BASIC between ProDOS versions?  I thought Applesoft ran from ROM, and I know that DOS intercepts the input/output to look for DOS commands with the CHR$(4) notation.  Is it just that part of BASIC that changed?  

The reason for "breaking" ProDOS into Two parts, is that if your making a Machine Language Program, you can Unload the BASIC.SYSTEM from Memory to give you more RAM....

MarkO