IGNORED

Asteroite pre-orders OPEN NOW

Songbird

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

Your rethorical question is nonsensical, The Switch can easily handle a simple tile based game aka GBA while making you coffee and doing the laundry in 1 cycle.

Probably if you already have a 3D physics engine, it's much easier to use that and lock the camera to a 2D sidescroller view.

So it's not only about the artwork.

To be honest with you, I don't think Nintendo will ever develop a Metroid game that looks like "in my opinion" the classic Metroid games. Cost is one of the reasons in the equation, the fact of releasing a 16-bit looking game to Nintendo Switch may be another reason. E.g. a 3D engine locked to a 2D view looks nice on the high resolution Switch screen, but imagine that on the Jaguar's 320x240 display using low resolution polygons?

Of course it is up to everyone to define what makes a game feel like a "classic" Metroid game, as the original developers are probably retired already.

It's my personal experience, just putting Samus in the main role does not suffice (as we saw with Metroid the other M). Maybe even games like Axiom Verge feels more like a classic Metroid game than some of the Nintendo games. However it is well understood that Metroid Dread & the Metroid Prime series are appreciated games in the series, so I won't argue with you on that. You can't belive how much I long for Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch. Again I want to emphasise how much Asteroite made me re-live the feeling I had with Super Metroid, while Dread was fun, and annoying for its own reasons (I hated the feeling of being hunted by that bloody robot)

Edited by bulken
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, bulken said:

Probably if you already have a 3D physics engine, it's much easier to use that and lock the camera to a 2D sidescroller view.

So it's not only about the artwork.

To be honest with you, I don't think Nintendo will ever develop a Metroid game that looks like "in my opinion" the classic Metroid games. Cost is one of the reasons in the equation, the fact of releasing a 16-bit looking game to Nintendo Switch may be another reason. E.g. a 3D engine locked to a 2D view looks nice on the high resolution Switch screen, but imagine that on the Jaguar's 320x240 display using low resolution polygons?

Of course it is up to everyone to define what makes a game feel like a "classic" Metroid game, as the original developers are probably retired already.

It's my personal experience, just putting Samus in the main role does not suffice (as we saw with Metroid the other M). Maybe even games like Axiom Verge feels more like a classic Metroid game than some of the Nintendo games. However it is well understood that Metroid Dread & the Metroid Prime series are appreciated games in the series, so I won't argue with you on that. You can't belive how much I long for Metroid Prime 4 on the Switch. Again I want to emphasise how much Asteroite made me re-live the feeling I had with Super Metroid, while Dread was fun, and annoying for its own reasons (I hated the feeling of being hunted by that bloody robot)

The https://peleiadesshop.mydrobo.com/ link for UK ordering was unavailable (to me anyway) for a while.  I see it's back now but it's tagged as Temporarily OUT OF STOCK.  Does anyone have an idea how temporary this is?  I've never actually bought a homebrew Jag game yet despite having quite a few of the original Atari games, this is one that seems interesting as there aren't many games like this on the platform.

17 hours ago, Songbird said:

If you want, you can order from the Songbird and we ship worldwide. Thanks for your interest!

https://songbird-productions.com/product/asteroite/

Thanks!  I'm aware you do international ordering but unfortunately the cost of postage/customs etc. to the UK has flew up in the last few years so I was hoping for local options.  I speak from real experience as I used to import a lot and now I've stopped as now it's just crazy.

International shipping from the US has become a huge problem, shipping fees are insanely expensive (40-50 us$ for a single game) and you'are almost guaranteed to pay VAT + custom fees.

All we can do is pray to the Jaguar gods for a European distributor to manufacture games directly in the EU.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

International shipping from the US has become a huge problem, shipping fees are insanely expensive (40-50 us$ for a single game) and you'are almost guaranteed to pay VAT + custom fees

I feel your pain! ... just now I payed €85 import for three Jaguar games.

We Europeans are doomed 😬

1 hour ago, Senneman said:

I feel your pain! ... just now I payed €85 import for three Jaguar games.

We Europeans are doomed 😬

Ha, i once sent an LED and adapter for the Mega STe to somewhere (was it Austrailia?) And it was 14 bucks! 

Also, somehow I don't feel too bad, since 95% of all the stuff for our beloved systems end up being from Europe.  I was looking at Amiga stuff last night, no one selling the stuff in the USA.