IGNORED

Just cannot seem to get it going..

rickcollette

I have tried several combinations of things to get a basic (read: simple) bbs up and going.

Why is it that 11 year old me had no issue standing up a bbs without all the resources and info the internet has to offer and with half broken equipment, yet "post 49 year old" me who has worked in tech for a thousand years, all the resourses the internet has to offer, and all of your experiences to draw on ... is failing.

Set equipment:

atari 800XL 512K expansion
IDE+ 2.0

Experimented with:
WiModem 232+PR Connection

WiModem 232 + 850
FujiNet 

I also use RespeQT to transfer files to and from the IDE+2.0.. but typically disconnect it to test the BBS software

AMIS: Does not answer inbound calls
AtariLink 2.0: Seems to lock up on the load screen "RUNNING LINK20X.BAS" (run"d:begin" - then after configuration, select option 1 to run the BBS.. freezes)
FoReM XEP 5x: running the r: driver, amp(850|9600) then going into basicxe freezes the machine. 

3 hours ago, rickcollette said:

Running oasis (may 1987 version); i manage to get to a waitcall screen - but when i try to connect to it, the wimodem says its answering, but oasis does nothing...

wonder if i need to set ATS0=1 ?

It depends on what Oasis expects for an incoming call. Some BBS programs look for a "Ring!" message, others expect auto answer to be enabled (e.g., ATS0=1), etc.

-JP

6 hours ago, rickcollette said:

I have tried several combinations of things to get a basic (read: simple) bbs up and going.

Why is it that 11 year old me had no issue standing up a bbs without all the resources and info the internet has to offer and with half broken equipment, yet "post 49 year old" me who has worked in tech for a thousand years, all the resourses the internet has to offer, and all of your experiences to draw on ... is failing.

All the brain cells you used for that died a long time ago.  At least I think that's the case with me.

1 hour ago, JohnPolka said:

It depends on what Oasis expects for an incoming call. Some BBS programs look for a "Ring!" message, others expect auto answer to be enabled (e.g., ATS0=1), etc.

-JP

And some probably are even just waiting for CD..... Which version of Oasis?  (3? 4?  I don't remember it by year)... or if you just have documentation.

Maybe we can just focus on a setup for now.  Oasis perhaps? (Or does something else seem better?) Would you rather use the P:R: or the 850?  I think if we just commit to one setup to start with, that would be best.  Once we get one working, or determine why we can't (and being able to explain why, and why we can't figure it out) then maybe move to something else.

Ill defer to your judgement.

I think when we last spoke - I was going to settle on:

IDE+ 2.0
Atari 800XL+512K
PR:Connection
WiModem232

Choice of BBS does not matter to me, except I would like to be able to run external programs (doors/games)
I also recently acquired a copy of Carnival with all the support files associated - I dug through the code of that and kind of liked it.

Well, my "judgement" is just saying, let's choose one and totally exhaust everything with that first.  May not be right... who knows...

So if you wanted to save the 850 for something else... well... ok.... Let's go with the PRC.

But if you're good with the

IDE+ 2.0
Atari 800XL+512K
PR:Connection
WiModem232

And Carnival is peaking your interest... Let's start with that (if you like).

Might be helpful to post that copy for those who don't have it.  I can say I don't think anyone is running it, so it's unique.  Posting your copy here will help eliminate deltas.

We'll see where this journey takes us.

So - these came via an ancient box of disks a friend of mine made ATRs from this morning.  I believe the bbs itself had dubious history; but the thing is - this person took time to convert Carnival (still referred to as AMIS in the filesystem) from R: to MPP - the original is on disk 2 side 1 (I believe)

Carnival_bbs_disk1_side2.atr Carnival_bbs_disk2.atr Carnival_bbs_disk2_side2.atr Carnival_bbs_disk1.atr

8 hours ago, rickcollette said:

So what would be a good process to start? Getting the base system working in an emulator? The actual hardware? Something else?
One of my issues is that I don't even know if I have an operational R: handler for the PR:Connection.

Well, that's probably a good place to start.  The PRC.SYS is going to be very important for many things.  If you can't find an ATR of the ICD disks for the P:R:C I'm sure we can find someone who has it somewhere... otherwise, I know I have the actual disks I can probably image.

The problem with many old copies of BBS software is that it's already monkeyed with and set up for others stuff... that means autorun.sys... ar0 ar1 ar2 etc... are set up with their own flavor of R: or  T: devices... different R.bins You will find some of them have these appended to the BBS...

With BASIC based BBS it sometimes requires being listed the entered to kill off the bloat... this removes appended binaries etc.

For machine language or other BBS's and terminals, it's a bit more of an issue... you have to separate the two segments... A clean copy if possible is the easiest and best way... but some of the Sysops and coding gurus can easier separate the wheat from the chaff ...

The carnival disk was loading a non existent device... making a tone... that's the sign of an R: bin or T: bin for MPP 1030 xm301 etc...

Edited by _The Doctor__

19 hours ago, rickcollette said:

So i think the current issue is my Basic XE cart.  Im using a 4in1 with basic xe 4.x ; but it seems to be the common thing keeping my system from booting.

ill give a body part (or cash) for a real basic xe cart ;)

When I was testing my stuff I was using the ultimate cart. 

Might be a little redundant on what you may already have but it did seem to work when I was testing FoReM xe pro last year. 

• 10 months later...