IGNORED

Proper method to image disks ATX-RespeQT-Happy 1050

Gitbizy

I have Lotharek's SIO2USB Rev 2, and I am using it through Respeqt. No issues there... 

what I would like to know is how to image presumably copy protected disks with my Happy 1050 to an ATX image, so that I can then use the ATX image instead of the original 5.25 floppy.  I also have some disks that I would like to share with places like AtariMania, but need to know how to create images of these copy protected disks.

When I load Happy 7.1, it does recognize my 1050 as D1, and my RESPEQT drive as D2, but when I try to do a copy, it stalls when trying to write to the Respeqt blank floppy image.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

Edited by Gitbizy

5 minutes ago, Gitbizy said:

I have Lotharek's SIO2USB Rev 2, and I am using it through Respeqt. No issues there... 

what I would like to know is how to image presumably copy protected disks with my Happy 1050 to an ATX image, so that I can then use the ATX image instead of the original 5.25 floppy.  I also have some disks that I would like to share with places like AtariMania, but need to know how to create images of these copy protected disks.

When I load Happy 7.1, it does recognize my 1050 as D1, and my RESPEQT drive as D2, but when I try to do a copy, it stalls when trying to write to the Respeqt blank floppy image.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

To make ATX you have to use either a kryoflux or a supercard. SIO2USB or SIO2pc can’t really keep or deal with protected disk. Using Atarimax Ape/pro you can create .PRO image which are a bit better than .ATR, but it’s less reliable than a kryoflux stream.

33 minutes ago, Tuxon86 said:

To make ATX you have to use either a kryoflux or a supercard. SIO2USB or SIO2pc can’t really keep or deal with protected disk. Using Atarimax Ape/pro you can create .PRO image which are a bit better than .ATR, but it’s less reliable than a kryoflux stream.

OK, I have a greaseweazle, how do I go from a 5.25" SCP file (raw read) to an ATX?

26 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

SIO2PC USB...

otherwise you are talking about the device that won't be doing any protected imaging...

https://atariage.com/forums/uploads/monthly_10_2007/post-5489-1193740163.jpg

I'm not really following what you're posting here.  I have a Lotharek SIO2PC USB rev 2 device.  I also have several other SIO2SD type devices as well.  I'm asking about protected disks and how to archive them if I can't find a copy of that disk online.

Check this thread:

But it seems not to be straightforward. Several people failed in trying it; me included.

The most important part is that you MUST boot Happy 7.1 software from RespeQt while your 1050 which has to be set as D1: is switched off and then at the right moment disable D1: in RespeQt and switch on your 1050.

Read this post regarding some sort of monitoring what is happening:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/285890-respeqt-43-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4397809

5 minutes ago, DjayBee said:

Check this thread:

But it seems not to be straightforward. Several people failed in trying it; me included.

The most important part is that you MUST boot Happy 7.1 software from RespeQt while your 1050 which has to be set as D1: is switched off and then at the right moment disable D1: in RespeQt and switch on your 1050.

Read this post regarding some sort of monitoring what is happening:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/285890-respeqt-43-beta/?do=findComment&comment=4397809

I will give this a whirl in a little bit and see how it goes.

7 minutes ago, Gitbizy said:

OK, I have a greaseweazle, how do I go from a 5.25" SCP file (raw read) to an ATX?

That's much better than RespeQt.

Get a8rawconv from this thread:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/231835-a8rawconv-a-new-raw-disk-conversion-utility/?do=findComment&comment=3113692

Try Versions 0.92 or the latest 0.94.

General hints for dumping can be found at http://www.a8preservation.com/#/guides/diskDumping

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 3:35 PM, DjayBee said:

I never tried, but I suspect it will be much easier using Archiver/Chip emulation instead.

Configure RespeQt for Chip mode emulation and boot Scan-It or HappyToChip to convert the real Happy into an Archiver. Then load the archiver software if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

It is somewhat easier using the Archiver/Super Archiver.  The main issue is that with Happy software, you can't change source and destination drives.  That leads to some clumsiness in making the copies with RespeQt.  With the Archivers, it is easy to change from the Archiver main menu.

@ijor

Did you ever release any of the VAPI image software other than the VAPI.DLL used with APE to allow loading/executing already made ATX images?  I was a member of your test group, and I don't find any VAPI software to image disks in my VAPI archive. 

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Did you ever release any of the VAPI image software other than the VAPI.DLL used with APE to allow loading/executing already made ATX images?  I was a member of your test group, and I don't find any VAPI software to image disks in my VAPI archive. 

Hi Larry,

Yes, there was the Vapi Imaging tool. It works with a 10502PC cable and a Happy, or Duplicator, or Speedy drive. That was the tool I used to build the very first ATX images. But it was deprecated long ago. I posted the tool here years ago. Can't find it right now, but it should be here somewhere. Note that the tool is rather picky with the serial port and driver.

I would need to double check to be 100% sure, but it should be the last version. I didn't touch this tool for many, many years.

One good thing about this tool, besides handling copy protected disks, is that it might be the fastest method to dump a regular disk to ATR, using just a Happy 1050.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1