IGNORED

W O R D L E [DONE]

mksmith

Hi all,

Updated release (in the first post) with the following changes:

• Converted the game to 128k ROM
  • Added the official allowed (10,617) and wordles! (2,315) dictionaries of the original
  • Added the ability to delete a letter using the right fire button
  • Fixed the identification and colorisation of the entered letters to only mark the maximum number of letters based on the active wordle. Thanks @Jaden (JRH) for pointing that out!

Note: there is a link to play online in the first post.

• Like 9

Excellent! The only thing that keeps it from being perfect in my mind now is having trouble seeing the keyboard selection square. I think just about any color other than dark grey should work fine. I'm also wondering if my eyes are worse than others here. On my laptop I have to turn the brightness all the way up to see it.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Excellent! The only thing that keeps it from being perfect in my mind now is having trouble seeing the keyboard selection square. I think just about any color other than dark grey should work fine. I'm also wondering if my eyes are worse than others here. On my laptop I have to turn the brightness all the way up to see it.

Looks like the game is currently utilizing $04 for the gray shown.  While there are certainly a few darker values, $x4 does lean more towards either the upper dark end or the lower midrange of the scale, depending on how you slice it up. 

Considering the brightest ($0F) is being leveraged for white, perhaps something along the lines of $x7/$x8 may work out better for viewing grayed-out letters, while still standing out as being considerably darker than the white lettering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

Fixing the keyboard is next up Karl. I do want to try making it more like the original with the coloured backgrounds. I could then look to make the cursor closer to white.

@Trebor thanks for the suggestions Robert. Will have a play with those ?

• Like 5

Hi all,

• Updated on-screen keyboard to better show and highlight characters and functions
  • Fixed issue where when game is finished the last entered line's characters were not reflected on the on-screen keyboard.

Getting closer to be being finished - been a fun project!  Some things to tidy up such as the titlescreen and look to include the stats.

• Like 7

Hi all,

• Updated titlescreen with menu selector
  • Added Statistics and How to Play screens
  • Updated message area in game
  • Updated fonts
  • Various cleanups

This one is nearly finished. I've got savekey implemented but it's not saving anything as yet (not sure why currently).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

No new release yet but I finished adding savekey support and finalised the statistics screen.  As shown in the pic you will have the ability to reset you stats by choosing the reset option in the menu and holding down the fire button for a period of time.

stats.thumb.png.eca1f86179f4ca7a0a1ac5aab148d69a.png

• Like 9

Just another quick update - I've started adding settings to the game:

They will default to what is required for the base gameplay and will be stored if you have a savekey.  I need to look at the hard mode and see what's required to do that.

I've also made lots of internal changes and updated the 2 fonts to reasonably match each other (think normal, bold)

settings.thumb.png.9bbd878e523253ac013c968b727608cd.png

Edited by mksmith
Updated pic to latest settings page
  • Like 7

Hi all,

• Added settings page
  • Added hard mode, show wordle (for uncompleted game) or any word entries (change in settings)
  • SaveKey/AtariVox/High Score Cart support to store statistics
  • Updated fonts
  • Cleanups

Lots of changes internally to incorporate the hard mode - made some changes to the way I store and check words and keyboard use states.

This one is just about in the bag now - might add a couple of final touches but if you have any feedback please let me know.  I have some ideas for an updated wordle game (different mode of play) so once this is finalised I'll jump into adding the required stuff for that.  Will most likely be a different release which you will understand why soon ?

• Like 6

Hi all,

• Added a little reveal animation and sfx when validating the word

I'm going to mark this as finished but if you have any suggestions please let me know!  Thanks again to crew (Mike, Steve, Robert and Lewis) and Karl, James, Jaden, littaum for community testing and feedback ?

• Like 9

On 2/3/2022 at 12:34 PM, Jaden (JRH) said:

Also, I can't be the only one who thinks that Wordle is a complete ripoff of Lingo.

YES I even showed my kids some YT videos of Lingo to show em. I guess the statute of limitations to copy it have run out?

Screenshot_20220210-223151_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Hmm,  I was not able to open this binary on BupSystem.  It opened on ProSystem.  Is anyone else having an issue with Bup?

This problem BupSystem is having is very likely tied to this...

On 2/18/2022 at 5:35 PM, mksmith said:
  • SaveKey/AtariVox/High Score Cart support to store statistics

BupSystem often has issues with SaveKey/HSC support in games.  That feature may need to be disabled or removed from the binary to run properly under it.

8 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Hmm,  I was not able to open this binary on BupSystem.  It opened on ProSystem.  Is anyone else having an issue with Bup?

5 minutes ago, Trebor said:

This problem BupSystem is having is very likely tied to this...

BupSystem often has issues with SaveKey/HSC support in games.  That feature may need to be disabled or removed from the binary to run properly under it.

Thanks Robert - I hadn't had a chance to investigate.  This game is one of the more simple ones in that apart from jumping around the banks to check words I haven't done anything fancy.

@TrekMD Would you like to try this one and see how it goes?

20220222.wordle.nosavekey.a78

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

It's a shame we never got that keyboard add 9n for the XM.  But ... maybe the keypad controllers might work too.  Plug both in and you got yourself a keyboard.  :)

In the process of adding both Keypad and Paddle support currently which is working well so far - just trying to work out whether they become a secondary controller on the right port or will be swappable. As we have savekey support that may require supporting the left port instead and users will need to swap controllers after loading off their Concerto or Dragonfly.

• Like 1