IGNORED

BASIC 10 Liner Contest 2022

vitoco

Hello Gury

18 hours ago, Gury said:

Ok, Mathy, you enlighten me ? 

The results of the competition are announced there, not part of the meeting... I figured it out, thanks.

I'm not even sure about that.  You really have to ask Gunnar/Bunsen.  I haven't heard from him yet, but there is a chance you might be able to meet him at the Fujiama in less than 6 weeks.

Sincerely

Mathy

Hi Gury, hi Mathy,

The 10Liner contest evolved over the years from a small local live programming atari-only contest (at NOMAM) to a worldwide internet based multi-platform contest. 

10 years ago the interest of the NOMAM visitors for the contest was great. Almost everyone was involved - either as a programmer or as a judge.

Ironically, the interest of NOMAM attendees waned as the competition grew. But that also had structural reasons: it was no longer a live coding event and evaluating at the event was becoming increasingly difficult. The addition of other 8-bit systems also moved away from the original Atari system at the same time.

The corona-related cancellations of the past few years accelerated the conversion.
But for historical and nostalgic reasons, the NOMAM was retained as the end point of the competition.

I hope, it is a bit clearer for you now, Gury. If you have further questions, feel free to ask :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I joined a relatively large and active BASIC programming group on Facebook the other day. While the BASIC10Liners contest has been mentioned in the passing a few times before, generally it seems to be quite unknown among other people who claim to be active BASIC users. Also some question the point in limiting oneself to 10 lines, but that is another matter and as always people won't understand arbitrary limitations or rules in general.

16 hours ago, carlsson said:

By the way, I joined a relatively large and active BASIC programming group on Facebook the other day. While the BASIC10Liners contest has been mentioned in the passing a few times before, generally it seems to be quite unknown among other people who claim to be active BASIC users. Also some question the point in limiting oneself to 10 lines, but that is another matter and as always people won't understand arbitrary limitations or rules in general.

Yea, I mean I've been an A8 owner since 1980, and a member here for 14 years (albeit not a frequent participant), and I only really discovered the BASIC10Liners maybe this year or last.

The concept is cool - the 10 line challenge makes it great.  I doubt I could do anything meaningful in 10 lines, but it's inspired me to consider programming again after almost 30 years.

1 minute ago, rdefabri said:

The concept is cool - the 10 line challenge makes it great.  I doubt I could do anything meaningful in 10 lines, but it's inspired me to consider programming again after almost 30 years.

Well, I thought the same some years ago, and now, look at my tenliners site what happened and how it evolved in the last few years. You can also read what was in my head when I (re)started BASIC programming during 2015-2016 in the development section of the Fleas game'e page.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, vitoco said:

Well, I thought the same some years ago, and now, look at my tenliners site what happened and how it evolved in the last few years. You can also read what was in my head when I (re)started BASIC programming during 2015-2016 in the development section of the Fleas game'e page.

Yes looking at your games shows incredible progress - I'm nowhere as talented as you!!!