IGNORED

Porting an existing Unity game to the Jag.

TenBoe

Speaking of Lynx there is a little thing called 8 bit Unity (no relation to Unity) that supports 8 bit Atari computers, C64, NES and Lynx.  It even has a point & click adventure example.  The NES target seems to force just one (3 color + transparency) palette on the background but that shouldn't be a problem for a grayscale game.  My gut feeling is this will not be a simple or cheap project.  Might have to code it yourself to keep within your anticipated costs.  May as well port it to many systems as easily as possible. 

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 3:19 AM, Clint Thompson said:

It's a 10-minute game that would take many months full time to develop and complete from the ground up

I asked around the internet and got a lot of different answers. One said, it would take two weeks to port this to the Jag. Our plan is a release of all "Midnight Scenes" Episodes and "The Librarian" from the same dev as a collection. Would be around 2 hours of gameplay.

But thanks for all your opinions. We keep asking around for opportunities to maybe realise this one ... 

20 minutes ago, zzip said:

Has anyone ever ported ScummVM to Jaguar?

A cursory search says no.

I was thinking since this project is more complicated than the original poster thinks at least the effort would reap the benefits of being multi platform (i.e. any system that has a ScummVM port).  He'd have to hire someone to port ScummVM to the Jag.  Also, port the game to ScummVM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gemintronic said:

A cursory search says no.

I was thinking since this project is more complicated than the original poster thinks at least the effort would reap the benefits of being multi platform (i.e. any system that has a ScummVM port).  He'd have to hire someone to port ScummVM and make the game for that engine.

I was thinking it seems like low-hanging fruit.   It would bring a bunch early to mid 90's point-and-click games to Jag-   Of course I don't know what technical issues may be preventing it from working.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, zzip said:

I was thinking it seems like low-hanging fruit.   It would bring a bunch early to mid 90's point-and-click games to Jag-   Of course I don't know what technical issues may be preventing it from working.

Probably the major hurdle is mapping the graphic and sound function calls to raptor.  ..and then futzing around fixing discrepancies between ScummVMs C compiler and what JagStudio is using.

UPDATE:  Found a partial port to the Atari ST.  May be easier than starting from the last plain old C build of ScummVM?  No idea.

https://github.com/agranlund/ScummST

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Probably the major hurdle is mapping the graphic and sound function calls to raptor.  ..and then futzing around fixing discrepancies between ScummVMs C compiler and what JagStudio is using.

That kind of stuff is to be expected.  I'm wondering if there's anything about it that would make a Jag version impossible.   Doesn't seem like there should be.

3 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

UPDATE:  Found a partial port to the Atari ST.  May be easier than starting from the last plain old C build of ScummVM?  No idea.

Not sure, but you'll probably be locked into 16-color graphics and Yamaha sound when the Jaguar should be capable of displaying the games in full color and sound as intended.    I did notice in the release notes that Sam & Max requires 4mb RAM on the ST, while others can be run in 2mb.  Maybe that's where the port becomes difficult for the Jag?

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 9:50 AM, Gemintronic said:

@JagChris  Didn't mean to sound like my statements were a ha ha funny joke..  We've got a crowd here where those issues are obvious and another not so much.

• Like 1