IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 16 - Game 3 - Mouse Trap

[ Intellivision HSC Season 16 ]

(Game 3)

Mouse Trap

Mouse_Trap.jpg.2cf01c4ee5393e1e228642afca7be374.jpg

Mouse Trap by Coleco 1982

This unusual maze game puts you in control of a mouse who must be guided through a labyrinth of doors and corridors.

mouse_trap.gif.99432fffb5e0496ba77d5845576d43ea.gif

ROM Download Link

http://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21558/intellivision/Mouse-Trap-1982-Coleco.html

Game Manual Link - Click link below then go to 'Games' then 'Manuals' and scroll down for Mouse Trap

http://www.intellivision.us/intvlibrary/index.htm

High Score Club Record

SET NEW RECORD +3

Game Setting

PRESS BUTTON 1 (SKILL LEVEL 1)

Game Objective

Make your way thru the maze and eat as much cheese (and other things) as possible and score the most points in the process.

Game Scoring

+13 [1st place], +12 [2nd place], +11 [3rd place], +9 [4th place] down to +1 pt for participation. +2 Game Winner Incentive. 

Extra Score Bonus: Get a score of 100,000 pts or more and earn +1 bonus point; Get a score of 200,000 pts or more and earn +2 bonus points; Get a score of 300,000 pts or more and earn +3 bonus points. Max-out Extra Score Bonus points earned is +3.  

Season Theme: Maze Craze and Critters. This game falls into both the 'Maze Craze' and the 'Critters' category.

Contest Ends
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 20TH 11:59:59 PM EASTERN TIME

(FINAL SCORES)

2,257,900 - mark griff [+3 bonus points][+13][+3 SET NEW RECORD][+2 GAME WINNER INCENTIVE]

1,404,600 - jimblargh [+3 bonus points][+12]

1,226,000 - Crade [+3 bonus points][+11]

-------------------------------------------------------

982,300 - Rickster8 [+3 bonus points][+9]

600,800 - Fakecortex [+3 bonus points][+8]

416,400 - Lupovax [+3 bonus points][+7]

328,500 - CParsley [+3 bonus points][+6]

219,200 - Wolfy62 [+2 bonus points][+5]

71,800 - Gar0u [+4]

Overall Rankings (POINTS)

After Tutankham

30 - CParsley

30 - Mark Griff

24 - Rickster8

21 - IntyFanMatt

20 - Lupovax

18 - Crade

14 - Mr_Me

12 - jimblargh

11 - Wolfy62

11 - Fakecortex

7 - Gar0u

1 - Jblenkle

Games Won

1 - IntyFanMatt - Shark! Shark!

1 - Mark Griff - Tutankham

Sneak Preview:

Buzz Bombers

Edited by Rickster8
Added in scores

1 hour ago, wolfy62 said:

I think Biffman left the HSC for good because of this game.....

I kinda like it!??

The controls are REALLY bad and the music is REALLY bad, the game itself is actually kind of fun though, y'know like games are supposed to be..... :P 

Edited by Rickster8
Spelling
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, crade said:

This game is crap

Edit:  okok, first try 49400 :)  Havn't any of these developers ever played locknchase?  Last general direction before the turn is the right way to do this!

Believe it or not and yes I might be shot for saying this. I like this game BETTER than Lock N Chase. Both games control-wise are terrible but to me Lock N Chase is worse and you have control on what does to open or close in Mouse Trap. There are green doors in Lock N Chase that open and close on their own and that always happens when it's MONEY TIME. The dollar sign comes out and then I try to rush to hit pay dirt and then the green doors slam shut and I not only miss the money, but I get caught all because of the green doors closing at the most inopportune time. Fkin INFURIATES me. Lock N Chase is one of my most hated games... Hell if I'd rather play Mouse Trap than it, it's GOTTA BE BAD!!!!! ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rickster8 said:

Believe it or not and yes I might be shot for saying this. I like this game BETTER than Lock N Chase. Both games control-wise are terrible but to me Lock N Chase is worse and you have control on what does to open or close in Mouse Trap. There are green doors in Lock N Chase that open and close on their own and that always happens when it's MONEY TIME. The dollar sign comes out and then I try to rush to hit pay dirt and then the green doors slam shut and I not only miss the money, but I get caught all because of the green doors closing at the most inopportune time. Fkin INFURIATES me. Lock N Chase is one of my most hated games... Hell if I'd rather play Mouse Trap than it, it GOTTA BE BAD!!!!! ?

I owned lock and chase so that might be why but I find the controls on lock and chase to be great and do what to expect.  I couldn't get this one to behave at all and I am missing turns or stopping at dumb places.  Tuk is behaving much better in terms of the controls actually moving the guy in the way I expect it to when I push a direction on the disc lol..

Thats not why it's crap though, it's because it made me dig the intellivision 1 out of storage :)

Edit:  just tried it again..  I can't for the life of me make any of the turns unless they are at the end of a hallway..  I tried so many times haha  I did dig out lockNchase just to make sure, and ya, your crazy!

Edited by crade

1 hour ago, crade said:

I owned lock and chase so that might be why but I find the controls on lock and chase to be great and do what to expect.  I couldn't get this one to behave at all and I am missing turns or stopping at dumb places.  Tuk is behaving much better in terms of the controls actually moving the guy in the way I expect it to when I push a direction on the disc lol..

Thats not why it's crap though, it's because it made me dig the intellivision 1 out of storage :)

Edit:  just tried it again..  I can't for the life of me make any of the turns unless they are at the end of a hallway..  I tried so many times haha  I did dig out lockNchase just to make sure, and ya, your crazy!

I hate the controls on both games, but the green doors in LNC fkin REALLY piss me off so that's where my 'craziness' mainly comes from...... :P 

Also, I did NOT have LNC as a kid. Kept hearing how 'great' it was, lol, whatta letdown. That cart fkin SUCKS!!!!! ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Haha 1

Do you have something other than the regular intelli controller like a 4 gate or something?  I must be missing some sort of trick I just can't make the turns at all, I just try 5 or 6 times back and forth and then eventually drive off in the complete wrong direction and die haha..  Like controls in  lock n chase might not be perfect, but comparing them controls is a little like trying to drive an old buick vs trying to drive an avalanche.

12 minutes ago, crade said:

Do you have something other than the regular intelli controller like a 4 gate or something?  I must be missing some sort of trick I just can't make the turns at all, I just try 5 or 6 times back and forth and then eventually drive off in the complete wrong direction and die haha..  Like controls in  lock n chase might not be perfect, but comparing them controls is a little like trying to drive an old buick vs trying to drive an avalanche.

Lol, okay I will admit the controls in Mouse Trap are worse than the controls in LNC. You have to press pretty hard to make the disc do what you want in Mouse Trap.  Again those damn automatically closed green doors in LNC KILL ME all the time... ?

They also make such a big deal about locking a copper in a corner. Yeah it's VERY hard to do and if you get lucky enough to actually do it, you get a WHOLE 100 POINTS!!!!! Oooooohhhhh how awesome LOLOLOLOL, game SUCKS!!!!

Edited by Rickster8
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Lol, okay I will admit the controls in Mouse Trap are worse than the controls in LNC. You have to press pretty hard to make the disc do what you want in Mouse Trap.  Again those damn automatically closed green doors in LNC KILL ME all the time... ?

They also make such a big deal about locking a copper in a corner. Yeah it's VERY hard to do and if you get lucky enough to actually do it, you get a WHOLE 100 POINTS!!!!! Oooooohhhhh how awesome LOLOLOLOL, game SUCKS!!!!

Ok if it means I don't get a console, I can not have you besmirching the good name of Lock 'n Chase...

The green doors, first off are on a pattern, so like Pac-Man and other maze like games learn the pattern and you won't have them "close on you" every time you go for the BANK (yes it's a bank not money)...

Two, locking the cops in a corner is awesome (just don't try it in the bottom right as there is no prize for that 1x1 corner).. Also prizes compound for locking MORE than 1 in the corner at the same time, yellow and blue are prime candidates to lock together...

Also if you get good you can even single door lock a cop in (those are fun times) :) Controls are way way better than any Coleco bullocks of programming... If you don't like one control scheme grab the alternate (late issue version) you'll know you got that one if there's 2 Copy lines and Lupin/Rupin's hat collapses in like the arcade version. The major control change from the 2 is that u can't "stop" mid path that is possible in the original revision (I prefer the original cause you can hide out and let the cop bounce back before going) that's not possible with the revision as trying to stop mid-path won't do so. 

Ok, getting off the soap box... maybe someone needs to do laundry.

18 minutes ago, cparsley said:

Ok if it means I don't get a console, I can not have you besmirching the good name of Lock 'n Chase...

The green doors, first off are on a pattern, so like Pac-Man and other maze like games learn the pattern and you won't have them "close on you" every time you go for the BANK (yes it's a bank not money)...

Two, locking the cops in a corner is awesome (just don't try it in the bottom right as there is no prize for that 1x1 corner).. Also prizes compound for locking MORE than 1 in the corner at the same time, yellow and blue are prime candidates to lock together...

Also if you get good you can even single door lock a cop in (those are fun times) :) Controls are way way better than any Coleco bullocks of programming... If you don't like one control scheme grab the alternate (late issue version) you'll know you got that one if there's 2 Copy lines and Lupin/Rupin's hat collapses in like the arcade version. The major control change from the 2 is that u can't "stop" mid path that is possible in the original revision (I prefer the original cause you can hide out and let the cop bounce back before going) that's not possible with the revision as trying to stop mid-path won't do so. 

Ok, getting off the soap box... maybe someone needs to do laundry.

Lol you just defended a 'Proud ENEMY of the INTV Brotherhood' ?

I've tried to like LNC, can't stand it. It doesn't help that I'm terrible at it. My all time high score is 48k and that was a total anomaly. Maybe the coppers were all DRUNK? ?‍♂️

Edited by Rickster8
Spelling

2 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

I gotta agree with Rick here, Mouse Trap has better controls than Lock n' Chase,which is a very frustrating game for me,especially when trying to change direction. 

So Mouse Trap was pretty fun for me!

This is probably the best I can do.

Level 1- 219,200.

20220210_183957.jpg

Nice one Wolfy!!! ?

4 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I've tried to like LNC, can't stand it. It doesn't help that I'm terrible at it. My all time high score is 48k and that was a total anomaly. Maybe the coppers were all DRUNK? ?‍♂️

I would of said all on their doughnut breaks... but you go for drunk :)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Mwahaha Moose and Squirrel!  *twirls mustache*

I found the trick to this games controls..  If anyone else is having trouble like me where it takes you multiple tries on every single corner, I found the

trick was to click the disc as if it was a d-pad, like click and let go 1 step at a time instead of holding the direction you want to go like I normally would for mattel games

edit:  Like so instead of going from left to up on the disc to make a turn, you go neutral, left, neutral, up, neutral..  It works pretty good this way for me.

818800 (level 1 easy)

mousetrap3.thumb.jpg.3955108399608fa04695a4fcaaf3b95d.jpg

Edited by crade
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

Nice one. You sure are a FAST learner.... But but but, why all the balloons there Crade? ?

Yeah lots of glare of that TV in the day.  Those are from my daughter's birthday party last weekend.  We were supposed to have it earlier but of course we had to delay it because she had a cold so they were up for a long time.  Time to come down now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

Atleast in this game you really cannot farm points (leech). In Tutankham you can leech there all day. I shoulda selected Level 4 on that one. Live and learn..... ?

You could just have a general rule like intentionally not progressing the game to farm points is not allowed and leave it loose / on honor system.  

Not a big deal I don't think, I just assumed it wasn't intended to be an endurance test of who can sit in one place the longest pushing attack without falling asleep :)

• Haha 1