IGNORED

16K 3D engine

xxl

10 hours ago, Heaven/TQA said:

Well… easy VIC20 Port ;)

and wouldn't you like to have all the code with comments for extensions and modifications? See, there you have everything you need: sprites, walls at any angle, portals, all the game mechanics you can refine for your own needs... besides, the Saint modifies the engine so that it does not use undocumented code ;-)
It's worth waiting a while.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 4:27 AM, xxl said:

who has an idea for a scenario for a 3d puzzle game?

Spy vs Spy 3D ? (find objects in multiple floors, none of the traps)

3D Pacman?

Collect objects in a maze. Each object adds a new section of the maze that was previously hidden. Do this against a timer.

Pacman 256 in 3d

• Like 1

None of my suggestions have really been puzzles as I can't really think of puzzle ideas, but I am mentioning alternative ways to use a 3D engine.

My next idea is that you are travelling along a 3d channel, like those mobile games where there are three lanes. There is a modern Sonic game like this.... Anyway, 2 of the three lanes are blocked by walls ahead of you and you have to type the correct key on the keyboard within a time period. If you hit the wrong key or you are not quick enough, you hit a wall. The channel is endless. If you hit the correct key, you will get into the lane where there isn't a wall ahead. This is good for teaching children to type. You could also do maths questions.

this SonicDash is rather for the road drawing engine

by this time the Saint was almost finished... I'm already looking forward to getting my hands on his sprite engine.

• Like 5

On 3/15/2022 at 3:00 PM, danwinslow said:

Not suggesting to do a clone of DM, but suggesting the traditional RPG dungeon crawler as a topic. Maybe something like Telengard but in 3d.

That’s what i have on my list… combining my Beyond Evil RPG engine with a new front end rendering 

8 hours ago, Saint (Swiety) said:

next version of Vicdoom port ;) It's run faster , a lot of code is rewrited , i think now is 60% of code

Any chance to run it in a pixel mode that is twice as wide and high? Now it looks like a poststamp, even though it is pretty detailed!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, invisible kid said:

I like the small window. I think for original Doom or Castle Wolfenstein, one way to boost performance is to make the viewport smaller. I have vague memories of some old systems needing to reduce the viewport to a similar size! I think it was even smaller! lol

@invisible kid I remember that:

Protagonist Portrait Point ? - Doom General - Doomworld

Although it could get a lil silly (for PC doom anyways):

What compromises have you made to run a game? | PC Gamer

I still think if it were possible that Saint's excellent A8 VicDoom port could be enlarged a little, without compromising speed - it might be worth it. Widen it perhaps if not increase the height. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I was misunderstood. I did not mean to render a larger viewport (which would take more CPU time), but you can get it for free by means of ANTIC. For example, if it is rendered in gr. 7 (sort of square pixels), you can just as easily render to gr. 5 and have pixels that are twice as wide and high.

• Like 4